What's new

Jazz trade Olynyk and Ochai to Toronto for Kira Lewis, Otto Porter, and a 2024 1st round pick

The problem is you can't play them all.

If the Jazz should have and use all the picks next draft, they would have a 3rd year player in Kessler, three 2nd year players and three rookies. Giving them all minutes => 20-win team.
First off we may only have 2 picks if we are have decent and our pick goes to OKC. Secondly I think odds are we start to combine picks to target players rather than use all of our picks because of how many players we want to get rotation minutes.

I just don't get the Ochai stuff. We seemed to really believe in him during the off season and then gave up on him after a bad month of shooting?

I'm not an Ochai homer, I just don't get the inconsistency in our thought process.
It was not just a bad month of shooting. Can't create/dribble, looked awful in summer league. I'm guessing they saw enough in practice that they knew he was not part of the future plans for the team. His defense was much improved this year though.

SB Nation, Ricky O'Donnell:

Jazz grade: A-

Raptors grade: C

Danny Ainge can’t keep getting away with it. The Jazz executive lands another first round pick for Kelly Olynyk on an expiring deal and underwhelming former lottery pick Ochai Agbaji. Toronto must love Agbaji and/or think they can flip Olynyk later today, because otherwise this deal doesn’t make much sense for the Raptors. Toronto is sending a very late first round in this disappointing 2024 NBA Draft, and apparently they don’t value the pick. Ainge believes he’ll still be able to find a contributor in the late first. Olynyk was a nice piece for the Jazz and could help a contender, but the Raptors are tanking to try to keep a top-six protected pick they owe the Spurs. It feels like there has to be another shoe dropping for Toronto. The Jazz continue to be a well-run organization under Ainge.
I give the Raptors an A+ for going out of their way to replace the vowels lost in the Achiuwa, Annunoby deal. And I would think that an AO would trump an AA any day - not even enough for a triple A rating. And, the fact that one of those names is of African decent is also a big plus I imagine. Olynyk being of Canadian decent is just the icing on the cake.

PS J/K Better than what they had and Olynyk is a game changer for a team struggling to find a culture - invaluable for us early on. This pick better turn into something really good, otherwise I think we got rolled.

I just don't get the Ochai stuff. We seemed to really believe in him during the off season and then gave up on him after a bad month of shooting?

I'm not an Ochai homer, I just don't get the inconsistency in our thought process.
I don't like trading Ochai and I have a feeling he looks pretty damn with the raptors.

I don't think they saw enough out of him to think he'd be worth keeping around or ahead of Sensubean or any other wing.

And that's fine, but what did they see during the off season to call him untouchable and talk about him as a future starter. Either the talk was BS or they changed their minds quicker than I would hope our decision makers would change their minds.

I wonder if their was an opportunity in the off season to move Ochai for better value. I still think Ochai could be a good player. It feels like we are selling low.

And that's fine, but what did they see during the off season to call him untouchable and talk about him as a future starter. Either the talk was BS or they changed their minds quicker than I would hope our decision makers would change their minds.

I wonder if their was an opportunity in the off season to move Ochai for better value. I still think Ochai could be a good player. It feels like we are selling low.
Summer League: it's a hell of a drug. :cool:

Did Ochai really get better with us?

Better-looking, sure. But better looking, naaah.

Secondly I think odds are we start to combine picks to target players rather than use all of our picks because of how many players we want to get rotation minutes.
Well, in that case I would need a bit of convincing why the FO didn't have enough picks to do that before picking up 2 more :) Of course teams have different needs in terms of who wants 24 picks vs. 29 picks.

I give the Raptors an A+ for going out of their way to replace the vowels lost in the Achiuwa, Annunoby deal. And I would think that an AO would trump an AA any day - not even enough for a triple A rating. And, the fact that one of those names is of African decent is also a big plus I imagine. Olynyk being of Canadian decent is just the icing on the cake.

PS J/K Better than what they had and Olynyk is a game changer for a team struggling to find a culture - invaluable for us early on. This pick better turn into something really good, otherwise I think we got rolled.

Eh, I think a first round pick has significantly more value than 4-5 months of Olynyk.

I just don't get why the Jazz are trying to get worse. They already have loads of draft picks and this year's draft is not good. None of the players they are receiving are better than the ones they are giving up.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
Might be because there weren't any players available to make them better and they don't think 10 seeds are all that special so they decided to get assets for players who were going to be gone soon anyway.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I hope Ainge's long-term vision works out because short term he just traded three guys that make this team "watchable"

I don't think I can go back to watching a bunch of guys fighting over whose turn it is to shoot.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

SB Nation, Ricky O'Donnell:

Jazz grade: A-

Raptors grade: C

Danny Ainge can’t keep getting away with it. The Jazz executive lands another first round pick for Kelly Olynyk on an expiring deal and underwhelming former lottery pick Ochai Agbaji. Toronto must love Agbaji and/or think they can flip Olynyk later today, because otherwise this deal doesn’t make much sense for the Raptors. Toronto is sending a very late first round in this disappointing 2024 NBA Draft, and apparently they don’t value the pick. Ainge believes he’ll still be able to find a contributor in the late first. Olynyk was a nice piece for the Jazz and could help a contender, but the Raptors are tanking to try to keep a top-six protected pick they owe the Spurs. It feels like there has to be another shoe dropping for Toronto. The Jazz continue to be a well-run organization under Ainge.
I don't consider myself a draft expert, but historically I feel like the analysts are judging the quality of a particular draft year almost entirely on the top end talent, specifically lottery picks. After the lottery, every pick is hit or miss, so I'm pretty happy we have two near the end of the first round. Maybe we draft a Walker Kessler or Rudy Gobert..........or we might draft Morris Almond.

I think they came to the realization that it's easier to coach an offensively competent player to defend than it is to coach a quality defender to play offense (shoot and dribble).

It was not just a bad month of shooting. Can't create/dribble, looked awful in summer league. I'm guessing they saw enough in practice that they knew he was not part of the future plans for the team. His defense was much improved this year though.
Agreed except Ochai's defense is a little overrated tbh. He's not great defending big wings which is why Simone took over the SF role. Dunn is better defending guards. Ochai kinda got lost a bit in Hardy's zone defense. Sam Merrill, Keegan Murray and a few others really got their shot off against Ochai too.

I think Utah is serious about pursuing a Major League Baseball team, which is so weird becasue I can't think of another City that has a Major League Baseball Team, but only a farm team for basketball.