What's new

Jazz trade Olynyk and Ochai to Toronto for Kira Lewis, Otto Porter, and a 2024 1st round pick

KO was on the market for months. there were media reports everywhere that indicated 4 to 8 teams really wanted him. do you really believe all those teams were offering 1st round picks? do you really believe danny was offerred a 1st round pick for KO and said let me throw in another player for free? danny is a lot of things but he does not give players away for free. this was the best offer for KO. no other team offered a first for KO alone. if they had Danny would have taken it and saved an asset.
Not all firsts are created equal. A super super late first in a very weak draft <<<<<<< a late first in any other year or multiple seconds. And that's what he just sold KO for. I would even take an early second like what the pistons offered for Simone over this year's late first because of the less money in guarantee.

Plus KO was on the market for months. Yes. But Ochai wasn't. If he told teams that he would include Ochai in the package you think that wouldn't change the whole conversation?

Teams tried to lowball you with sucky initial offers all the time. It's all about the patient and negotiation tactics to squeeze the better offers out of them. But I doubt a 64 year old DA still has the energy to play that kind of wait game with all those teams so he simply compared teams initial offers and took the best one.

There were so many kind weird moves today. I'm glad our moves at least seem to move the same direction.

Sorry I have to disagree about DA, But he has given several Jazz players away for nothing .
DA is too old to keep up negotating the best offer out of GMs from 8 different teams. He's gotten lazy and just handpicked the best initial offer available. If he told teams he's selling both KO and Ochai for a super late first in a super weak draft, you can bet on teams to start calling to beat that offer.

This.

There's literally no point at all for him to be on the roster.
I don't think there will be a big trade market for him this offseason. I think DA may have overplayed his hand if NY had a good offer on the table.

I mean Ochai was on the "no trade" list just a year ago along with Kessler and Lauri and he's on a very team friendly contract. His number are down this year but so is Grimes and look at what Knicks just sold Grimes for. Grimes and Ochai are basically the same player and I bet Pistons would call off the Grimes trade if they knew DA was gonna sell Ochai this cheap.

Trade market is all about networking and info sharing. It takes a tremendous amount of work and energy to maintain. And I suspect a 64 yr old DA has gotten real lazy this past couple of years.

This one kind of hurts. I thoroughly enjoyed KOs game personally.
Such a special player at his size always surveying the floor making the right read. So crafty getting to the hole, throwing the pump fake and using the rim. Thurl said that his teammates made harder cuts when he was in cause Kelly would find you. Miss him already, hope he gets a big payday!

Not all firsts are created equal. A super super late first in a very weak draft <<<<<<< a late first in any other year or multiple seconds. And that's what he just sold KO for. I would even take an early second like what the pistons offered for Simone over this year's late first because of the less money in guarantee.

Plus KO was on the market for months. Yes. But Ochai wasn't. If he told teams that he would include Ochai in the package you think that wouldn't change the whole conversation?

Teams tried to lowball you with sucky initial offers all the time. It's all about the patient and negotiation tactics to squeeze the better offers out of them. But I doubt a 64 year old DA still has the energy to play that kind of wait game with all those teams so he simply compared teams initial offers and took the best one.
This isn't any weaker than most drafts as far was depth goes. There will be plenty of solid prospects to choose from in the late first and early second round.

This isn't any weaker than most drafts as far was depth goes. There will be plenty of solid prospects to choose from in the late first and early second round.
We already have an early second from Simone's deal. There's literally zero need to buy this sucky late first. We have two rookies that aren't getting any minutes. Do we really need more? Ochai at least was a serviceable rotation piece and we just traded him for "prospects" who will be lucky to even crack the rotation like...Ochai?

If we didn't do the Simone deal then KO/Ochai deal would make a bit more sense. But we simply oversold this trade deadline

What exactly is our plan with Clarkson? Seems odd to me that he's still on this team, as much as I love the guy.
Trade him when his value is higher.
He is having the worst year of his career while making the most money of his career. He is currently a negative asset possibly.

Maybe he plays better the rest of the year and then his contract goes way down next season and we trade him for more than we could have right now

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

This.

There's literally no point at all for him to be on the roster.
I cherish the daily opportunity to deprive you of your ignorance and bad takes, Upside, but I’m not sure you deserve it after your bitch *** passive aggressive emojis today.

I can’t resist though.

Clarkson is a player coveted by a number of teams who may have met the Jazz’s price of a first round pick, but couldn’t match the $23 million without giving up essential players.

Ainge is known for his patience. This summer, when Clarkson’s contract shrinks to $14 mil, it becomes significantly easier to find a dance partner - either in the off season or next trade deadline.

This summer, when Clarkson’s contract shrinks to $14 mil, it becomes significantly easier to find a dance partner - either in the off season or next trade deadline.
I'm aware of this.

Nevertheless, we heard from numerous "sources" that there were quite a few teams after him in recent weeks. They even went into detail about the supposed Knicks deal and JC himself apparently "welcomed" such a trade.

It's fair to ask if Danny got greedy in the end, and as a consequence, we now have a guy on the roster who knows he's not wanted, has no real role, is having a terrible season and is probably gone soon anyway. Do you play such a guy?

As AlaskanAssassin asked... what's the plan?

We already have an early second from Simone's deal. There's literally zero need to buy this sucky late first. We have two rookies that aren't getting any minutes. Do we really need more? Ochai at least was a serviceable rotation piece and we just traded him for "prospects" who will be lucky to even crack the rotation like...Ochai?

If we didn't do the Simone deal then KO/Ochai deal would make a bit more sense. But we simply oversold this trade deadline
You really like to complain. The reality is that these 2 deals combined likely help us keep our own draft pick and to clear minutes for the 2 rookies that you say aren't getting minutes. With the 2 acquired picks odds are we use at least one of them in another deal.

I'm aware of this.

Nevertheless, we heard from numerous "sources" that there were quite a few teams after him in recent weeks. They even went into detail about the supposed Knicks deal and JC himself apparently "welcomed" such a trade.

It's fair to ask if Danny got greedy in the end, and as a consequence, we now have a guy on the roster who knows he's not wanted, has no real role, is having a terrible season and is probably gone soon anyway. Do you play such a guy?

That's a possibility. Of course it's the possibility you gravitate towards.

Could be Clarkson is happy to stay and feels valued because the jazz wanted too much for him

Or other possibilities

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I'm aware of this.

You need to learn about smokescreens. There were a bunch of rumors about the Jazz being in on Murray and they never even made an offer. The Jazz will be subject to a lot of rumors because of their asset collection.

But yes, Danny is greedy. He knows he can get a first round pick for Clarkson and he’s going to wait until he does.

Save your maudlin hyperventilating for Clarkson expiring 2.5 years from now without having been dealt for a first rounder. Right now it’s premature.

The plan is to build a championship caliber team, which you can’t do with replacement level players on long-term deals - but that doesn’t mean you can’t wait for the right deal.

This is such basic team building 101 in regard to salary management that I’m stunned that you don’t get it. The local and national journalists and aggregators seem to understand, and—while I have questions sometimes—you’re at least basically literate. Go forth, young Upside, and read.

Read until you understand.

You need to learn about smokescreens. There were a bunch of rumors about the Jazz being in on Murray and they never even made an offer.

That's not what I meant. If you'd read my earlier posts, you'd know that IMO Clarkson hasn't had a real market at any stage. Not last season, not this season. And he most certainly won't bring back a FRP.

It's possible that the Knicks were somewhat ready to pull the trigger this time, but we'll probably never know what happened there, nor will we know what the deal was going to be like.

The whole Clarkson situation is just weird. For a player who's been publicly dangled every season, they sure like playing him a lot. I just think it's unwise... pick a lane. Stuff like this gives the impression that you're just making it up as you go along, which isn't ideal when you're trying to lure free agents as well.

It’s Danny Ainge, dude. Thinking he’s making it up as he goes is ridiculous. It’s like you’re j’accusing LeBron of not learning plays or watching tape.

As for Clarkson, other GMs knows he goes down to 14 this summer too.

This has been reported by Tony Jones who has Zanik on speed dial.
You don’t even have an Athletic subscription.

Who should we believe?