What's new

Jazz Trade Value List

I made a Jazz Trade Value list similar to what Bill Simmons does for the whole NBA. I thought it was an interesting exercise - here is mine:

15) Ingles/Pleiss - trade filler
14) Trey Burke - expiring rookie deal, but teams know he's on end of bench.
13) Shelvin Mack - expiring contract
12) Raul Neto - rookie deal
11) 2018 OKC pick - lottery protected, could be 2nd rounders if Durant walks
10) 2017 GSW Pick - 25-30 First Rounder, unprotected should disaster hit
9) 2017, 2018 picks - Draft picks are great capital, even as unknowns
8) Alec Burks - Missed majority of 2 seasons to injury. Good contract for a 6th Man type. Nearly 40% from 3.
7) 2016 Pick - defined pick, low lottery in semi deep draft.
6) Trey Lyles - Rookie scale deal, NBA sized four with great skills
5) Gordon Hayward -Best overall player currently, but on expiring deal and will be eligible for 30M/yr next year, which limits his trade market.
4) Rodney Hood - Controllable rookie scale deal, already a starter.
3) Dante Exum - Most likely piece to become "superstar" Jazz are waiting for. Defensive catalyst from PG position. Long term control on rookie deal.
2) Derrick Favors - Borderline all star, Key to Defense as a big 4 that can switch. Some injury concern, but pretty reliable. Great contract and eligible for extension.
1) Rudy Gobert - Most irreplaceable piece w/ scarcity of centers, possible all-star, #1 indicator of our defense, long term control. More proven than Exum.

I made a Jazz Trade Value list similar to what Bill Simmons does for the whole NBA. I thought it was an interesting exercise - here is mine:

8) Alec Burks - Missed majority of 2 seasons to injury. Good contract for a 6th Man type. Nearly 40% from 3.
5) Gordon Hayward -Best overall player currently, but on expiring deal and will be eligible for 30M/yr next year, which limits his trade market.
3) Dante Exum - Most likely piece to become "superstar" Jazz are waiting for. Defensive catalyst from PG position. Long term control on rookie deal.
2) Derrick Favors - Borderline all star, Key to Defense as a big 4 that can switch. Some injury concern, but pretty reliable. Great contract and eligible for extension.
1) Rudy Gobert - Most irreplaceable piece w/ scarcity of centers, possible all-star, #1 indicator of our defense, long term control. More proven than Exum.

Not bad... think I'd wedge Hayward in at #2 and move everyone else down. He fits on every team and plays a greater position of need. The thing that hurts Favors a bit imo is that there are a lot of effective gimicky things you can do at the PF spot. Playing big floor stretching wings is proving to help switching on the perimeter and stretching defenses... just more options at that position.

Outside of a massive injury or change to the CBA there is absolutely no chance Favors signs an extension.

Also, Jazz don't have anyone likely to become a superstar or anything close to it. Dante is probably worth less than Alec Burks and closer to the level of Trey Lyles.

Outside of a massive injury or change to the CBA there is absolutely no chance Favors signs an extension.

Why wouldn't he though? I mean the restructuring kind? Give him 20-30 million in addition to what he makes now up front for extending the contract for two more years. Sounds pretty good to me for both sides if we can't use our cap any better.

I really wonder what we could get for Gobert. Not that I want to trade him at all, but just curious.

Why wouldn't he though? I mean the restructuring kind? Give him 20-30 million in addition to what he makes now up front for extending the contract for two more years. Sounds pretty good to me for both sides if we can't use our cap any better.

I haven't revisited the new CBA in a long time and was unaware of this change. I think we just found the knew Jazz drama talking point. "Favors is vastly underpaid and I hear his agent is demanding a contract restructuring." DJ and PK, Jody Gennessy, Aaron Falk and Tony Jones will be rolling this one out in short order.

#ContentCreated

Not bad... think I'd wedge Hayward in at #2 and move everyone else down. He fits on every team and plays a greater position of need. The thing that hurts Favors a bit imo is that there are a lot of effective gimicky things you can do at the PF spot. Playing big floor stretching wings is proving to help switching on the perimeter and stretching defenses... just more options at that position.

I think that any of the 30 teams in the league would pay a handsome price for Exum because of affordability, long term control, and upside. Gordon Hayward would require a king's ransom, but his market is limited to Boston/LA type that has good assets to give while at the same time not worrying about Hayward fleeing after one year. Most every team has cap space to spare next summer, but few are willing to pay a huge price in a trade w/out assurances that Hayward would stick around.

Hayward 5th. Oy vey. People need to get a ****ing clue. You're one of those dudes that would have Westbrook 4th on the Thunder because he is too selfish or something.

Pretty good list. Due to Hayward being possibly a one year contract, I agree he's not as valuable.

If Favors had this much value, is he really out best trade chip? In a big fan of Lyles. I love a frontcourt with Lyles and Gobert. They have it all.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

Hayward 5th. Oy vey. People need to get a ****ing clue. You're one of those dudes that would have Westbrook 4th on the Thunder because he is too selfish or something.

I'm in no way shape or form a Hayward hater. I believe I stated he was the best player on the team. 1) I think the expiring deal makes him slightly less valuable chip and 2)The Jazz have some pretty valuable pieces. I am not promoting a trade of any of our players, it was a simple ranking of assets. But your meltdown was semi-entertaining nonetheless.

Pretty good list. Due to Hayward being possibly a one year contract, I agree he's not as valuable.

If Favors had this much value, is he really out best trade chip? In a big fan of Lyles. I love a frontcourt with Lyles and Gobert. They have it all.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

Favors may well be the best trade chip combining proven production and a great contract with at least two years control. He doesn't get you the #1 pick by himself, but he sure as hell is a great conversation starter.

I'd just like to remind everyone that Hayward would be making a locked-percentage of the cap and that everyone else will be getting paid a lot more too because the league and teams are also making a lot more. If the Jazz are scared of paying Hayward the max (AGAIN), the Jazz should be sold off or contract themselves out of existence.

Hayward is a max player, and to most people that is obvious. It can be simultaneously stated that - in theory - he shouldn't make the same as an MVP candidate. But without max contracts, the Jazz have almost no chance of signing or even retaining a 1st-tier player. Max contracts exist to benefit small-market teams.

Favors' contract makes him the most valuable trade piece. I don't think its close.

He also is a UFA at the end of his contract where Rudy isn't. Whatever teams trades for Rudy could easily secure him for another 6 years where Favors is more of a risk.