What's new

Jazz visit The Gift Horse 12/26/17 7:00 MST

That is what puzzles me so much, everyone in the league knows Rubio shoots a flat clunker, in seven seasons he never changed it.

On the other hand the Jazz know you can't put a guard out there who can't shoot threes, Brewer was 10-years ago and the league has only gone more outside since then. Dennis O'Lindsey came from the Rockets and the Spurs...who both won by placing shooters outside and spreading the floor--so Lindsey knew better.

I suppose it shows just how desperate he was after Toe Hill shanked him and Nerdward was wavering in the doorway.
Yep. Anything takes on new life in hindsight, and it just didn't all play out in our favor. Which is ******, because Hill and Hayward would be absolutely perfect with Mitchell.

My most favorite Boler quote: "Hindsight is 50/50." So so true.

I wonder in hindsight what the Jazz would be this season had they signed Hill and the other guy still left. I gotta believe they would be better off than now with Rubio.

The coaching staff needs to run different sets too. The swing and cross court/corner pass has become very predictable, opposing players just sit waiting to pick off that pass. How about some sets with back cuts and sets off the low post? I'm all for getting open 3s, but man, our sets are predictable and easy to guard when opposing teams have the size to switch on all the mind numbing on ball screens. I wish they'd run a lot of off back back screens. Make ALL the defenders work on every possession.

The coaching staff needs to run different sets too. The swing and cross court/corner pass has become very predictable, opposing players just sit waiting to pick off that pass. How about some sets with back cuts and sets off the low post? I'm all for getting open 3s, but man, our sets are predictable and easy to guard when opposing teams have the size to switch on all the mind numbing on ball screens. I wish they'd run a lot of off back back screens. Make ALL the defenders work on every possession.

Nellie Ball is going to get wrecked just like it did under Don when a group of Shaq's and Dwight's and Malone's and Duncan's enter the league. 5 out and 41 are going to be destroyed when a foul drawing pair of bigs put people like Draymond and Dirk on the bench. Try playing 5-O or 41 with any of those players and you're asking for an *** kicking. The problem is, nobody is building a team around guys like AD. AD is a GSW killer. Look up the game logs. He's basically a 30-15 machine against them. Either bye bye Draymond, or hurt your floor spacing by putting a big on him such as Bogut, who wasn't effective anyway. Memphis proved this with their recent run with Gasol and Randolph but they weren't superstars and the supporting cast was too Detroit-lite.

Bigs will work again when there is enough of them that can stay healthy long term. Give me a Malone or a Garnet any day.

I've tried to imagine Malone in this league. He averaged 30 against a double team, what would he do against one-on-one matchups with 4 teammates who could all shoot the three ball? His passing was underrated, he might average more assists than Stockton.

Then I think of Hakeem Olajuwon, and Shaq, the current NBA couldn't contain them.

The NBA has always been a copy-cat league, but there have always been a few outliers to make it interesting. It seems like there are no more outliers, everyone is doing basically the same thing. And with familiarity and predictiability comes a loss of interest- at least for me.

I've tried to imagine Malone in this league. He averaged 30 against a double team, what would he do against one-on-one matchups with 4 teammates who could all shoot the three ball? His passing was underrated, he might average more assists than Stockton.

Then I think of Hakeem Olajuwon, and Shaq, the current NBA couldn't contain them.

The NBA has always been a copy-cat league, but there have always been a few outliers to make it interesting. It seems like there are no more outliers, everyone is doing basically the same thing. And with familiarity and predictiability comes a loss of interest- at least for me.

I feel the same way unfortunately. Felt this way for a few years. You used to have 30 teams with different offensive philosophies. It was fun to see something different each night. I've found myself watching more and more college basketball.

Easy answer. He's Boogie's older brother on steroids and blood doping. Malone would **** this league up like a bull on cocaine in a china shop. Has anyone ever averaged 30/15/5? While drawing 15-20 fouls per game? Sub a Malone or Shaq for Favors and you change this copy cat league entirely.

Last edited:
Easy answer. He's Boogie's older brother on steroids and blood doping. Malone would **** this league up like a bull in a china shop. Has anyone ever averaged 30/15/5? While drawing 15-20 fouls per game? Sub a Malone or Shaq for Favors and you change this copy cat league entirely.
Franklin speaking the truth. I’d love for the Jazz to be an outlier if they could get two dominant bigs instead of going fast and small like the rest of the league. Play slower, more physical, bigger basketball and force everyone to play at your level instead of the other way around.

Uhh, I mean the NBA couldn't contain those players when they played in the 90's either. The game in the 80s/90's was much more predictable and easier to defend than it is now.

A guy like Shaq would get obliterated on defense with pick n roll play and how well guards shoot off the dribble right now. Yeah he would still be great at post play, but there are also a lot of really good centers currently.

Obviously Hakeem would fair better defensively in the modern NBA, but just in general centers have a lot more ground to cover now defensively. There are also much less scrub in the NBA than there was in the 90's. The average NBA player is much better.

I just don't buy that all the teams are the same.

The Rockets and Warriors both shoot a ton of 3's, but they also play very differently. It's not like they run the same offense at all.

Honest question, if AD is the GS killer, and Franklin's theory on 2-bigs dominating is correct, why has the Pelicans struggled with AD and Boogie Cousins? (Pelicans are currently 8th in the West)

HOnest question, if AD is the GS killer, and Franklins theory on 2-bigs dominating is correct, why has the Pelicans struggled with AD and Boogie Cousins? (Hornets are currently 8th in the West)
*Pelicans

Boogie sucks, that's why. Zach Lowe recently wrote about his TOs and bad transition defense.

Ya I’m with ya

Honest question, if AD is the GS killer, and Franklin's theory on 2-bigs dominating is correct, why has the Pelicans struggled with AD and Boogie Cousins? (Pelicans are currently 8th in the West)
Boogie is a terrible fit next to AD. Put Davis next to Gobert, or Embiid, or a healthy Blake Griffin and it’s a totally different story. NO screwed the pooch drastically when they built their current roster. Even then, I still think that you’d have to put 3 other shooters in the lineup with them.

That's a good point. NO has looked great on paper several seasons over the years and still sucks for some reason. They're number 1 in the league in 3 pt %. They should be dominating with Boogie and AD playing as well as they have, and DMC is a willing passer and possibly the reason E'Twaun Moore is killing the league at .474 from three. Maybe @Saint Cy of JFC can clue us in as to why they kinda suck.

But, I think if you put Malone next to Gobert, with Donovan and two shooters, then they would crush people. I dare you to put Draymond or Zaza on Malone in the post, and the other on Gobert in the high pnr. They would have to triple team Malone to stop him, and he was a pretty damn good and willing passer. Boogie should be used this way, especially with AD's ability to hit the long ball (40% this year).