What's new

Jazz vs Bulls, game 5 '98

I've really enjoyed watching it tonight. Malone alone carried this team to a victory. Stockton was so passive. We need an old vet like Antione Carr

The Mailman was the best. Wow, it was nice watching him own Rodman and Luc. Unreal game. Imagine how great that team could have been had Stockton just tried a LITTLE bit to score some more. He was way too passive whenever I see old videos. Obviously a master passer and floor general. BUT, had Stock tried a bit to assert himself on O, the Jazz would have had at least 1 ring I believe.

The Mailman was the best. Wow, it was nice watching him own Rodman and Luc. Unreal game. Imagine how great that team could have been had Stockton just tried a LITTLE bit to score some more. He was way too passive whenever I see old videos. Obviously a master passer and floor general. BUT, had Stock tried a bit to assert himself on O, the Jazz would have had at least 1 ring I believe.

This is why I wonder what a D-Will/Mailman team could do. Malone gets ripped to shreds by critics but there were times he was forced to do everything. The end of Game 6 against Houston showed what Stockton could do, he just seldom did it.

Looking at stats of the 1998 Finals I was surprised to see how little John and Horny scored.

Malone scored 150 out the Jazz's 481 points. Horny scored 64. Stockton 58 and Russell 53 How does Stockton only score 5 more points than Russell. Russell had the job of defending Jordan, you understand how his points would be down but why were Stockton's so low?

Looking at stats of the 1998 Finals I was surprised to see how little John and Horny scored.

Malone scored 150 out the Jazz's 481 points. Horny scored 64. Stockton 58 and Russell 53 How does Stockton only score 5 more points than Russell. Russell had the job of defending Jordan, you understand how his points would be down but why were Stockton's so low?

Stockton was hounded by Pippen and Harper throughout the series, but he also was pretty passive when it came to looking for his shot.

Both teams played so hard in this game. Chicago's defense was just incredible with harper, jordan and pippen. To me, it's always interesting to watch these old jazz team and compare them to our team now, running that same offense. Stock was passive, but he played so smart and under control. That pass there on the inbounds at the end was great, it took like 4 seconds off the clock so there was only 1.1 seconds left I believe. And yes Malone torched longley.

Just watching prodigy's highlights, I can say, in complete seriousness, that Malone would have had over 60 points in that game if it were played last year. Look at how physical Rodman was and how Karl just powered through it. Put him against the most powerful 4 in the league right now and they would pale in comparison. So impressive.

Imagine how great that team could have been had Stockton just tried a LITTLE bit to score some more.

I think you really wanted to see him do THIS....more often!

cj_avatar2.gif

Don't forget that Stockton passiveness, was strickly for his passing game and inside team presence. If he started shooting more he wouldn't have been able to get all those incredible passes inside. As Sloan says, a layup is better than an outside shot. Stockton only shoot outside when the team absolutely had to, or he was trying to pull the defense out. And most of the time he gave that responsibility to Russell and Horny.

In regards to Stockton and Hornacek's low scoring output, the Bulls were possibly the greatest perimeter defensive team in the past 30 years. Bill Walton said the only players he ever saw give Stockton trouble were Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan and Ron Harper. With their length and the referees refusal to call illegal defense the first 4 1/2 games of the series, the Bulls could force the pick-and-roll baseline and then pre-rotate to Malone at the elbow.

Also, even though it was only 12 years ago, the game was alot different. Nowadays do you think Adam Keefe and Greg Foster could start for a 62-win team? Plus you could handcheck, bump cutters off the ball and just play a whole lot more physically than you can now. Alot more emphasis was placed on size and strength (Ostertag, Longley) than quickness, athleticism and skill.

Watching the game right now, and Stockton went rolling on the ground. Closer imspection he had a knee up and out on Kucoc. Kind of funny to see. Oh and then Harper knocks Stockton in the back making him fall to the ground.

Last edited:
Jazz would have won that series had Deron of today been the PG. He would have torched them like he smoked the Denver Nuggets.

At 3:30 on the youtube video, look at the Big 3 Comparison. What an embarrassment.

Sloan should've let Horny shoot more threes. Every time that Malone gets the ball the entire bulls team would close up around the paint letting all three of the Jazz players open for a long two or the three point shot. If Stockton would've shot the ball more the Jazz wuld've had a title.

In regards to Stockton and Hornacek's low scoring output, the Bulls were possibly the greatest perimeter defensive team in the past 30 years. Bill Walton said the only players he ever saw give Stockton trouble were Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan and Ron Harper. With their length and the referees refusal to call illegal defense the first 4 1/2 games of the series, the Bulls could force the pick-and-roll baseline and then pre-rotate to Malone at the elbow.

Also, even though it was only 12 years ago, the game was alot different. Nowadays do you think Adam Keefe and Greg Foster could start for a 62-win team? Plus you could handcheck, bump cutters off the ball and just play a whole lot more physically than you can now. Alot more emphasis was placed on size and strength (Ostertag, Longley) than quickness, athleticism and skill.

The games WAS a lot different, they also didn't review any calls that involved the clock back then, if the call was wrong, tough luck. That alone would've been the difference maker for the Jazz to push it to game seven.