What's new

Jazz vs. Mavs in round one

Weird *** playoffs. There is not a single thing that could happened in the first 40 minutes that would make me feel anything.

Just fascinated to see if it’s the same **** to end the game, or if something finally clicks.

PRO of this playoffs- DM isn't coming in on one leg.

CON- We look like **** right now.

So do we enter the playoffs looking like a team with little to no playoff experience like usual. Or do we put these fools away in 4-5 games without Luka being 100%

Sent from my SM-A326U using JazzFanz mobile app

PRO of this playoffs- DM isn't coming in on one leg.

CON- We look like **** right now.

So do we enter the playoffs looking like a team with little to no playoff experience like usual. Or do we put these fools away in 4-5 games without Luka being 100%

Sent from my SM-A326U using JazzFanz mobile app
I'm looking forward to finding out.

Our best bet is taking this serious, knocking off Dallas in 5 games, getting rested up while Phoenix hopefully plays a longer series with LAC and gets banged up, allowing us to steal one of the first two games.

Our best bet is taking this serious, knocking off Dallas in 5 games, getting rested up while Phoenix hopefully plays a longer series with LAC and gets banged up, allowing us to steal one of the first two games.
Agreed. Where is Gillooly when you need him?

Nice idea but the Suns will embarrass and eviscerate the Clips like Warnie to Mike Gatting with his first leg break on Englis soil

Or a nightmare scenario: Gentleman's sweep of the Mavericks, but the Clippers actually beat the Suns and we have meltdown after meltdown to the Clippers in the 2nd round again.

This of course will not happen since the Clippers probably don't beat the Pelicans now, and even if they did, how much time is PG missing?

Or a nightmare scenario: Gentleman's sweep of the Mavericks, but the Clippers actually beat the Suns and we have meltdown after meltdown to the Clippers in the 2nd round again.

This of course will not happen since the Clippers probably don't beat the Pelicans now, and even if they did, how much time is PG missing?
I would like our chances against LA than against Phoenix. Definitely implosion probability but our chances of beating LA are much higher. And home court, though that may not mean anything.

I would like our chances against LA than against Phoenix. Definitely implosion probability but our chances of beating LA are much higher. And home court, though that may not mean anything.

The Jazz would find out if Mike and Donovan being healthy really makes the difference that some people have argued it would.

Really? I'm not sure about that. Compared to last year, the Jazz are missing Joe Ingles who played by far a bigger role than any of the other replacements. He was pretty clearly our 3rd best player in the Clipper series and also brought a ton of value in the locker room. It would be hard for Juancho/Gay to play worse than Niang did against LAC last year, but Niang was also a better player than those two going into last year than those two are this year. I would agree that Whiteside is an upgrade over Favors, but we're also talking about Whiteside in the playoffs. House is a nice player too, but it doesn't offset the impact of Joe Ingles. Mitchell is also a better player coming into the playoffs this year, but Conley and Bogey are also one year older.

In any case, I really can't say there's a substantial improvement on a roster when the the key players and lineups are the same minus Ingles.
Ingles's playoff numbers were generally really poor. I love Joe, but his impact was MIA in the post-season.

I'm not hugely underplaying that fact, no more than you guys are ignoring the Clippers were without their best player for the final two games - games they won (and one was in Salt Lake City, where the Jazz were nonexistent in the second half, getting out-scored by 14 points in the third quarter - a loss that put the Jazz in a must-win game six that they couldn't win despite leading by 25 points).

KL is great. He also changed the makeup of the matchups out there in a way that I worry Doncic might do in his absence.

I know we're all so down on the team, and understandably. I am as much as anyone. But I'm really rooting for this team. It does seem like a segment of our fanbase is basically rooting for them to lose at this point. I don't want to blow this team up, I don't want these guys to fail. I'd have loved nothing more than to keep Rudy and Mitchell together for a few more years at least. I just don't know if that's tenable with the teams weaknesses. But still--I'd love for them to prove us all wrong. I don't believe it'll happen but I'm rooting hard for it to happen. This is probably this team's last chance, and I hope they take it, get the breaks they need to, play better than they ever have, and seize the mother ****ing day.

Prove everyone wrong! LET'S GO JAZZ
NICE.

The Jazz would find out if Mike and Donovan being healthy really makes the difference that some people have argued it would.
Maybe, but we’re dealing with a lot more emotional baggage this year, our confidence is shot, Ingles is gone, and Conley is aging. On top of the rest of the league really knowing our weaknesses and probably never taking their foot off the gas because they know it’s very likely we fold if they keep fighting.

For all you olds out there who were fans in the olden days, can someone add context to the 1993 season?

The Jazz a had made the WCF the year before, had won 55 games, which tied for the most in franchise history and then in 1993, dropped to 47 wins and got bounced in the first round by the Sonics. It has a very similar vibe to what we saw this season.

So, what happened?

Utah would bounce back the next year, make the WCF and eventually four years later, the NBA Finals (helped by the addition of Horny) but that 1993 season stands out like a sore thumb.

Was it injuries?

For all you olds out there who were fans in the olden days, can someone add context to the 1993 season?

The Jazz a had made the WCF the year before, had won 55 games, which tied for the most in franchise history and then in 1993, dropped to 47 wins and got bounced in the first round by the Sonics. It has a very similar vibe to what we saw this season.

So, what happened?

Utah would bounce back the next year, make the WCF and eventually four years later, the NBA Finals (helped by the addition of Horny) but that 1993 season stands out like a sore thumb.

Was it injuries?

It was a down year for both the Jazz and the Blazers, who were top of the West the year prior. It wasn't injuries. Stockton and Malone both played all 82 games. Jeff Malone was their 3rd best scorer and played most the games. Mark Eaton was their center of the era, and he was aging and declining in production. He might have gotten hurt, as he missed some games. That was Mark Eaton's last year in the league. I'm looking this up on BBall Reference, btw. My guess is that this was the end of the Mark Eaton / Mike Brown era and right before the Jazz brought in Greg Ostertag.

Incidentally, Stockton & Malone were both All Stars that year and shared the All Star Game MVP when the game was held in Salt Lake City.

Teams don't build on long cycles in the current NBA like they did in the past. There's much more player movement, especially star-caliber players.

So, what happened?

Was it injuries?
Stockton got in a very serious car accident that year.

His Lexus got hit by an Audi, so it was really sad. Both cars died at the scene.

It's said that as a result of the accident Stockton got brain damage that caused him to become an anti-vaxxer.