What's new

Jazz waive Brantley

Went back to watch Bey's final (and best) summer league game for Bulls. Would be pretty meh if the Jazz signed him to a training camp deal:
  • Rebounding is nice, esp. for a wing.
  • Defense pretty good, though I think he's a bit overrated there. JT Thor was working him over pretty good. Think he really has to be a 3 in most cases, because he's just not big enough to be a 4 in many situations. Not quite as wiry strong as I'd hoped to see. But some switchability, good athleticism. Some good moments. A few lapses in letting players drive right past, and I'm not sure I love his footwork.
  • Hard to see him working well with the Jazz offensively. Feel and ball skills a real liability at the NBA level, I think. Shooting could come around, but likely plenty of work for that to succeed.

I believe the Rockets GLeague team has his rights at the moment. He and Eliza Huge played for the Stars last year and Bey was much much better. He was also drafted ahead of Huge. The two pink slips within a year is concerning.

Glad this happened. Dude is missing some of the main tools needed to play in today's league. And it isn't just that his percentages aren't good. The number of horrible misses from 3 when he was wide open was the final nail in the coffin for me. I wish him the best, but he isn't good enough to stick in the NBA.
The Paschal deal made Brantley redundant, and it’ll probably take a miracle for him to even see action.

Is it surprising that the Jazz only have signed 2 exhibit 10 contracts and the Forrest 2 way with only a week before training camp? In the past it seemed like they were at the full 20 roster spots allowed by now

Is it surprising that the Jazz only have signed 2 exhibit 10 contracts and the Forrest 2 way with only a week before training camp? In the past it seemed like they were at the full 20 roster spots allowed by now
Maybe this is the real reason they are holding training camp in Vegas, to try and get some guys to come to camp.

So I guess Tyler Bey is the most interesting free agent out there now since he got released for Dante Exum. He played 11 games for the Stars last season. Utah should have a decent grasp on him as a person/player.

So I guess Tyler Bey is the most interesting free agent out there now since he got released for Dante Exum. He played 11 games for the Stars last season. Utah should have a decent grasp on him as a person/player.
There are still plenty of teams either without enough players on contract or with too many players on contract, I believe, so I think the musical-chairs music is going to continue for a few more weeks. There might be a few surprises in how it all settles. Maybe there's a few players in the mix that the Jazz would be willing to offer a 2-way to?

As for Bey, yeah, I'm sure you're right that the Jazz have a good sense of whether they're interested or not. But he and his agent may be looking for the best shot for him to find minutes/opportunity at this point. It very well may be that many other teams are higher on their list than the Jazz. I think that the Jazz are unlikely to offer him anything more than an Exhibit 10 at this point -- possibly give him a chance to compete for a 2-way. But who knows? I was surprised that they even gave Alston an Exhibit 10. All I saw from him in summer league was a relatively old, timid, almost painfully thin player who is unlikely to effectively defend or rebound his position (albeit long and a pretty good shooter).

There are still plenty of teams either without enough players on contract or with too many players on contract, I believe, so I think the musical-chairs music is going to continue for a few more weeks. There might be a few surprises in how it all settles. Maybe there's a few players in the mix that the Jazz would be willing to offer a 2-way to?

As for Bey, yeah, I'm sure you're right that the Jazz have a good sense of whether they're interested or not. But he and his agent may be looking for the best shot for him to find minutes/opportunity at this point. It very well may be that many other teams are higher on their list than the Jazz. I think that the Jazz are unlikely to offer him anything more than an Exhibit 10 at this point -- possibly give him a chance to compete for a 2-way. But who knows? I was surprised that they even gave Alston an Exhibit 10. All I saw from him in summer league was a relatively old, timid, almost painfully thin player who is unlikely to effectively defend or rebound his position (albeit long and a pretty good shooter).
Alston is very good at choking. There is that.

Alston is very good at choking. There is that.
You really don't like him, do you? You're known for advocating that we should throw everyone and their brothers at the end of the roster to see if anyone sticks.

Would be funny if he shocks us all and makes it in the League at some point.

You really don't like him, do you? You're known for advocating that we should throw everyone and their brothers at the end of the roster to see if anyone sticks.

Would be funny if he shocks us all and makes it in the League at some point.
He was supposed to be the "man" for Boise State and when they needed him to come up big he was missing. His dad played in the NBA and is a GLeague head coach so he does have the gene pool. I suspect he will be a decent GLeague players and that's probably his ceiling. He was a walk on in college so he did earn a scholarship.

Is this a tweet? For some reason my phone hasn't been loading tweets. I just see a blank spot. Which is probably more enlightening than most tweets, tbpfhwy.