What's new

Jazz waive bye bye to Cotton and Graham

Why would a team want to keep 3 PG's when they showed such a willingness to play 3-guard (even 4-guard) lineups? It becomes more important to have wing depth than it does having another below average PG. Also always made sense to me to keep Withey since he gave us insurance to our best team asset, rim protection.

Is it more devastating if Gobert goes down and we lose a lot of rim protection and don't have Withey to keep some of that intact, or is it more devastating to lose Trey Burke and just start Neto with a 3-wing secondary lineup instead of Cotton?

Full roster. Unless there are changes, if it is not Neto or Burke taking the ball up we will see Burks/Hayward/Hood taking some added ball responsibilities.

Really too bad. Cotton was a summer league beast but just isn't big enough for the NBA and doesn't quite have the freak athleticism to compensate for the size difference.

Why would a team want to keep 3 PG's when they showed such a willingness to play 3-guard (even 4-guard) lineups? It becomes more important to have wing depth than it does having another below average PG. Also always made sense to me to keep Withey since he gave us insurance to our best team asset, rim protection.

Is it more devastating if Gobert goes down and we lose a lot of rim protection and don't have Withey to keep some of that intact, or is it more devastating to lose Trey Burke and just start Neto with a 3-wing secondary lineup instead of Cotton?

I never thought Withey would be the one to go if Cotton stayed. I don't hate the fact that Johnson made the team, I just figured we have depth at the forward spots.

Both really stunk Sunday night. I guess Chris Johnson made the team.

To early to say that. Lots of cuts still to be made by other teams. Lindsey will be watching the waiver wire. A certain Spur might be cut and dont we really want him? ;)

Really too bad. Cotton was a summer league beast but just isn't big enough for the NBA and doesn't quite have the freak athleticism to compensate for the size difference.

He had some good games last year too. I think he is an NBA player, but this is clearly the right move for us. He hasn't played well in really limited time. Withey became available for cheap and Tibor hasn't played well yet. We needed Jeff.

Cotton will play somewhere in the League again. He should consider going to Europe for a year or two unless he gets an NBA gig this year.

Roster is still not set until all of the waiver fodder is out on the curb. Johnson could still be dropped if someone else pops up that the Jazz like.

Possibly.

Any interesting PG's been waived? Seems more likely to me they waive Johnson before he becomes guaranteed then go on the 10-day contract spree with some D-League players before settling on someone.

He had some good games last year too. I think he is an NBA player, but this is clearly the right move for us. He hasn't played well in really limited time. Withey became available for cheap and Tibor hasn't played well yet. We needed Jeff.

Cotton will play somewhere in the League again. He should consider going to Europe for a year or two unless he gets an NBA gig this year.

China becoming very popular as well because the season is short enough that a player could possibly finish there and still play in the NBA in the same season.

Possibly.

Any interesting PG's been waived? Seems more likely to me they waive Johnson before he becomes guaranteed then go on the 10-day contract spree with some D-League players before settling on someone.

I doubt they are going to waive him with all their PG injury issues but McConnell from AZ and the 76ers looks like a good player.

Yeah, I don't think Johnson should be in the market for a house or an extended lease quite yet. I'll bet we acquire a waiver wire wonder.

I disagree, his athleticism wasn't more of an issue than his decision making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJQS_jPO_I

I doubt they are going to waive him with all their PG injury issues but McConnell from AZ and the 76ers looks like a good player.

What are the guaranteed status of Marshall, Wroten, Jackson, and Canaan? I want to say all 4 are guaranteed. So it seems like McConnell would be a sure cut.

Surprised by Cotton this preseason, I thought he could be a good backup. Glad we got wolfie though, and TB must be breathing a little easier.

I disagree, his athleticism wasn't more of an issue than his decision making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJQS_jPO_I

Yeah, in that play it was great. He could never drive and elevate through the slightest contact at his weight to finish at or above the rim with power. All of his finishes where english-based prayers high off the back board.

What are the guaranteed status of Marshall, Wroten, Jackson, and Canaan? I want to say all 4 are guaranteed. So it seems like McConnell would be a sure cut.

Surprised if Jackson is guaranteed. Wroten and Marshall are injured so still a chance TJ could make it. Also even guaranteed guys of course can be cut. Philly is way below cap line still. Of course they are paying big bucks to McGee and Wallace for waiving them.