What's new

Jazz want Sap?

Weezur

@ChrisBHaynes: Utah Jazz will have a meeting in person tonight with the representatives of their free agent power forward Paul Millsap, I'm being told.

@DJJazzyJody: The Utah Jazz will have an in-person meeting tonight with free agent Paul Millsap, their longest-tenured player, according to @ChrisBHaynes.

@ChrisBHaynes: Utah Jazz will have a meeting in person tonight with the representatives of their free agent power forward Paul Millsap, I'm being told.

@DJJazzyJody: The Utah Jazz will have an in-person meeting tonight with free agent Paul Millsap, their longest-tenured player, according to @ChrisBHaynes.

Not surprised. The price needs to be right. But I am sure we want him back.

I am totally against this. If we sign Millsap he will be starting no matter what. Corbin will start him for sure over Kanter. Kanter right now is a better Rebounder and defender. He has a better post game also. Millsap has a better outside shot and is better at passing and slashing but I don't want to sacrifice the chemistry of Kanter and Favors. They need to play together.

And also Millsap will want a 4 year deal. He will be in his 30's for the last few years of contract. Millsap relies on his quickness and agility to beat people right now. That is going to take a huge dive really quick and he will become Udonis Haslem but not as aggressive. But will be getting much more than he should. If he was 2 years younger I would say yes. But I can promise you that Millsap only has 2 more years of being effective. Than he will become a 11-12 point scorer to go with 7 rebounds a game. And we will be paying him 10 million a year to do that. Let him go!

Short PF's don't do very well in the later parts of their careers unless they are power players. Millsap should be let go he is not a power player he is all agility. I don't want him.

Assuming price is right, why the hell not?

A person could make the case that it makes the Jazz too good (which hurts their odds of grabbing a god of basketball next year and increases their odds that they keep a mediocre coach for eternity). I'm not sure I would make that case, but...

I'll add a second caveat - he must be ok with coming off the bench.

This.

Or at least, be open to the fact that he might be coming off the bench in the future. I wouldn't mind Millsap at $8million per coming off the bench ala Nick Collison in OKC....

So here are the options if he's re-signed.

1. He starts at PF and Favors at C.
2. He starts at PF and Favors comes off the bench.
3. He starts at SF, Hayward at SG, Favors at PF.
4. He comes off the bench behind Favors.

Which one is most likely?

So here are the options if he's re-signed.

1. He starts at PF and Favors at C.
2. He starts at PF and Favors comes off the bench.
3. He starts at SF, Hayward at SG, Favors at PF.
4. He comes off the bench behind Favors.

Which one is most likely?

Favors at C, him at PF.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Millsap will be back for less than he made this season. The Jazz will give him 4 years at around 7-8 per. No one else will give him 4 years.

A person could make the case that it makes the Jazz too good (which hurts their odds of grabbing a god of basketball next year and increases their odds that they keep a mediocre coach for eternity). I'm not sure I would make that case, but...

I don't think we'll be too good... we can't be worse enough to get a top 5 pick regardless, but I don't think we'll be good enough to be outside the top 10.

Having Millsap should add about 5 wins to the total, but hopefully he'll also teach the young guys about work ethic and what it means to fight for a win.

If you are Sap, would you take a 4 year 30 million dollar deal or a two year 20 million dollar deal? I think those will be his options, especially if Dwight doesn't go to Houston.

I don't think we'll be too good... we can't be worse enough to get a top 5 pick regardless, but I don't think we'll be good enough to be outside the top 10.

Having Millsap should add about 5 wins to the total, but hopefully he'll also teach the young guys about work ethic and what it means to fight for a win.

5 wins is commonly the difference of 5 spots, at least once in the lottery/out of the playoffs. And the difference between 7th best and 12th best odds to land in the lottery - at least historically - is huge.

What about Kanter? He should be getting starting minutes by now.

I'm just telling you how it would be. Kanter hasn't proven a whole lot in quantity, hasn't paid as many dues, and is coming off of a pretty serious injury on top of that.

If you are Sap, would you take a 4 year 30 million dollar deal or a two year 20 million dollar deal? I think those will be his options, especially if Dwight doesn't go to Houston.

I think Sap would be one of the best compliments a team could find to Dwight Howard. I know that wasn't your point.