What's new

Jefferson has got to go

jimmy eat jazz

This article in the SL Tribune pretty much sums up what I've observed so far this year: https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/53214395-87/jazz-utah-points-average.html.csp.

Bottom line, at some point this season, Jefferson has got to go. I've tended to be a Jefferson supporter--he was one of few bright spots I thought last year, but there's no denying that he's a black hole on offense. When he's in, the offense stagnates. Compare the 3 games he's played this year with the one he did not. In the one Jazz victory, where Jefferson wasn't there, ball movement was crisp. The offense ran through Hayward, who distributed and got others involved in the offense (most importantly Favors). Granted this is a small sample size this year, but I'm convinced that the Jazz will do best to run the offense through Hayward and let him involve the others. If not Hayward, then someone else. Anyone but Jefferson. I'm also convinced that the best front line is Favors, Milsap, and Howard, with Hayward and Harris on the guard line.

It will be, I think, tricky to sit Jefferson or give him less minutes, but I think it needs to be done, then seek ways to trade him. Letting Jefferson dictate the tempo of our play is killing us, and will continue to kill us.

BENCH BELL!!!!!

Compare the 3 games he's played this year with the one he did not.

The first three games all started the same. Jazz came out competetively, and then started getting blown out. It happened the same with or without Al. The difference in the win, was we were able to fight back once we got down. Having the home crowd was the real reason for the win, not simply not having Al.

I'm in favor of moving Al because of his contract, and I don't think we're a good team with him. However, people need to get over the idea that we are somehow a good team just by losing Al. We are a bad team, with or without Al.

I agree with the overall point that Jefferson needs to be moved, but the recent 3 losses have little to nothing to do with it. We played 3 good teams on the road and one above average team at home.

I think we will see a different level of performance from the team tonight at home against New Orleans.

The first three games all started the same. Jazz came out competetively, and then started getting blown out. It happened the same with or without Al. The difference in the win, was we were able to fight back once we got down. Having the home crowd was the real reason for the win, not simply not having Al.

I'm in favor of moving Al because of his contract, and I don't think we're a good team with him. However, people need to get over the idea that we are somehow a good team just by losing Al. We are a bad team, with or without Al.

Let it be noted that I'm not saying we are a good team in any scenario. I fully expect the Jazz to suck this year, regardless of who plays. I'm one of those who not only expect a losing season (potentially really losing season), but am willing/happy to endure it IF it means our younger players are getting seasoning and are learning to play and win together. I've sadly concluded that Jefferson will hamper this process (I otherwise like him as a player). However, IF we have a losing (and potentially disastrous season) without giving the young core the playing experience they need, while giving starter minutes to Bell and running the offense through Jefferson, then I am neither willing or happy to put up with it. I weigh the present vs. the future as about 30% present, 70% future.

Welcome aboard the Jefferson has to go train. Don't mind those who disagree with you. They don't really watch the games. They just look at the box score. And, or they don't know anything about basketball.

The article seems to indicate that the lack of production is at least partly due to the style of offense. If the Jazz dump Jefferson, not sure the problem is solved at all.

I don't think the Jazz performance so far has anything to do with Jefferson. However, I'd also like to see AJ go. The problem is, it is pretty much impossible to create a quick moving dynamic offense with Jefferson on the floor. Every play is the same. PG pushes the ball, waits for Jefferson to get set, feeds him the ball, then everyone sits and watches while he moves around until he can throw up his push shot. I doubt Corbin has the competence to coach a good team, but I also doubt the team can ever be a contender with AJ getting major minutes.

Every play is the same. PG pushes the ball, waits for Jefferson to get set, feeds him the ball, then everyone sits and watches while he moves around until he can throw up his push shot.
If I weren't lazy I'd keep track of how early the first pass is made in a half court set with Al on the court and with Al on the bench. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a 2+ second difference.

We're going to need more than a 4 game sample to come to any conclusion about how crisp/precise player and ball movement is with/without Al on the court. I'm all for Al being shipped out for a guard, but right now he's the only player on the team that can consistently create his own shot, and with the way the guards have been playing, that's somewhat valuable.

If I weren't lazy I'd keep track of how early the first pass is made in a half court set with Al on the court and with Al on the bench. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a 2+ second difference.

We're going to need more than a 4 game sample to come to any conclusion about how crisp/precise player and ball movement is with/without Al on the court. I'm all for Al being shipped out for a guard, but right now he's the only player on the team that can consistently create his own shot, and with the way the guards have been playing, that's somewhat valuable.

I understand what you are saying but I think the problem with the guards is created because of Jefferson. Jefferson holds the ball too much and rarely if ever is he actually looking to pass the ball to someone in a scoring position.

It is a little like the chicken before the egg situation.

I say ship out Jefferson and see if people start to step up. I have notices that the offense runs better through Hayward than it does through any other player on the Jazz roster. I would like to see Hayward as a focal point and if Jefferson gets the ball every now and then, great, if not then he needs to be happy contributing in other ways such as defense or aggressive rebounding.

I understand what you are saying but I think the problem with the guards is created because of Jefferson. Jefferson holds the ball too much and rarely if ever is he actually looking to pass the ball to someone in a scoring position.

I say ship out Jefferson and see if people start to step up. I have notices that the offense runs better through Hayward than it does through any other player on the Jazz roster. I would like to see Hayward as a focal point and if Jefferson gets the ball every now and then, great, if not then he needs to be happy contributing in other ways such as defense or aggressive rebounding.

I just made myself laugh thinking about this being a possibility.

Let it be noted that I'm not saying we are a good team in any scenario. I fully expect the Jazz to suck this year, regardless of who plays. I'm one of those who not only expect a losing season (potentially really losing season), but am willing/happy to endure it IF it means our younger players are getting seasoning and are learning to play and win together. I've sadly concluded that Jefferson will hamper this process (I otherwise like him as a player). However, IF we have a losing (and potentially disastrous season) without giving the young core the playing experience they need, while giving starter minutes to Bell and running the offense through Jefferson, then I am neither willing or happy to put up with it. I weigh the present vs. the future as about 30% present, 70% future.

Like has already been mentioned, welcome aboard. The question I have for you is, what took so long?

Harris/Watson/Raja/CJ...

You really think CJ and Raja will suddenly turn into productive players once Al leaves town? Really?

Harris/Watson/Raja/CJ...

You really think CJ and Raja will suddenly turn into productive players once Al leaves town? Really?

You are right. What I should have said is, those that have the ability to be productive will become more productive. I actually think that Watson and Harris will do better because their roles will change. They will have the ability to push the tempo and get easier shots for everyone because of that.

I think Ty is the biggest problem on offense, not Jefferson. Ty's offense is what is killing us.

Face it or not, Jefferson is our most prolific offensive weapon. I think it's up to the coach to design situations where we can use the teams offensive talent to it's best advantage. I think the problem is guard play. The ball moves better when Hayward is moved to the 2 and Harris is at the 1. I also think the Jazz should use the motion offense more often. The flex is causing Harris to think too much and causes too much standing around.

Harris/Watson/Raja/CJ...

This.

Big Al is not even in the top 5 of our current problems.

I know that I have beat the "Trade Jefferson" idea to death but does anyone find it shocking that Kevin Love had a breakout year as soon as Jefferson was traded? I have been a Love fan since he came to the NBA, and I knew he had the ability to be a very productive player. I never realized that Jefferson could have been the very reason that Love struggled so much his first couple of years.

It also makes me wonder what it is doing to Favors and possibly Kanter.

Face it or not, Jefferson is our most prolific offensive weapon.

I am tired of this excuse. The reason that he is the most prolific scorer is because the amount of times that he shoots the ball. Read this tweet:

Lockedonsports via @TrueHoop Al Jefferson is shooting 3rd most often of any player in NBA (Kobe and Blake) unfortunately Al's TS% worst of top 10 gunners

Looks like it is a bad idea to give Al all of those touches. I am sure that this current Jazz team, even with the amount of youth, has someone that can do a better job of putting the ball in the hoop.

You are 100 percent wrong.

Al Jefferson is the top five problems with the Jazz

Do you watch any of the games? Is Jefferson responsible for terrible defense when he is on the bench? Is he responsible for zero ball movement when he is on the bench? Is he responsible for players standing around and everyone going one on one when he is on the bench? Is he responsible for a disorganized offense and weak defensive philosophy? Is he responsible for Bell playing 20 minutes per night and Burks hardly seeing PT?

If you really think Jefferson "is the top 5 problems" with the Jazz then you really have no grasp of basketball at all. Trade AJ and we don't get any better. You people who act like trading AJ will automatically make us a championship contender. It shows your obvious lack of understanding of the game and the team.

Do you watch any of the games? Is Jefferson responsible for terrible defense when he is on the bench? Is he responsible for zero ball movement when he is on the bench? Is he responsible for players standing around and everyone going one on one when he is on the bench?
The Jazz are only losing by 2.8 points per 48 minutes with Al on the bench/in street clothes. Considering the youth, that's not all that bad. Al is a bigger concern than the bench right now.