What's new

Jerry Sloan one of the greatest coaches ever top 15 in history

I felt more like I was a part of it.

If Sloan was more of a players coach, do you think more players would've been willing to come to Utah? Like if he allowed headbands, didn't have an old school system? He did great with what he had, but I remember a lot of us being frustrated with his system, and how our defense seemed to disregard perimeter defense, and the three in general.

If Sloan was more of a players coach, do you think more players would've been willing to come to Utah? Like if he allowed headbands, didn't have an old school system? He did great with what he had, but I remember a lot of us being frustrated with his system, and how our defense seemed to disregard perimeter defense, and the three in general.

Nah., I don't think it was because they didn't want to play for Sloan, I think mostly they just didn't want to live in Utah.

Nah., I don't think it was because they didn't want to play for Sloan, I think mostly they just didn't want to live in Utah.
Well I remember Al Harrington deciding he didn't want to play here because he wasnt allowed to wear a headband. A lot of athletes I'm sure don't like to be controlled like that, and probably felt some type of way about not being allowed to wear headbands, sleeves etc under Sloan/Corbin. Notice how since we started allowing headbands more big names have signed to Utah. Id say the leeway of freedom and the slightly relaxed environment has helped make Utah a preference to some athletes.

I don't want to say it's a coincidence, but it is slightly alarming. When you have a coach that is stern, tyrannical, and has strict rules in check in a city that has a difficult time attracting free agents, hardly anyone is going to want to make this a destination.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-75-top-15-coaches-league-history

Well this is awesome!

"
NEW YORK — The National Basketball Association today unveiled the 15 Greatest Coaches in NBA History as part of the continuing celebration of the league’s 75th Anniversary Season. The list was selected by a panel of 43 current and former NBA head coaches in collaboration with the National Basketball Coaches Association, which is led by President Rick Carlisle, the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, and Executive Director & General Counsel David Fogel.

The 15 Greatest Coaches in NBA History, as revealed on TNT, are listed below in alphabetical order.

15 GREATEST COACHES IN NBA HISTORY

Red AuerbachK.C. JonesPat Riley
Larry BrownSteve Kerr*Doc Rivers*
Chuck DalyDon NelsonJerry Sloan
Red HolzmanGregg Popovich*Erik Spoelstra*
Phil JacksonJack RamsayLenny Wilkens
*Active NBA Head Coaches

The 15 Greatest Coaches in NBA History! #NBA75 pic.twitter.com/4f9SGm0iCG
— NBA (@NBA) FEBRUARY 9, 2022

The 15 honorees have collectively won more than 14,000 regular-season games, guided teams to 45 NBA championships and earned 16 NBA Coach of the Year awards across more than 300 head coaching seasons.

The voters were asked to select the 15 Greatest Coaches in NBA History without ranking them. The panelists were not allowed to vote for themselves. Click here for the voting panel, which was composed of all 30 current NBA head coaches and 13 former NBA head coaches. The balloting was tabulated by the independent accounting firm Ernst & Young LLP."

Rivers? Spoelstra? Just because you're the lucky guy with the superteam doesn't make you a great coach. What has either of them done to elevate a team of misfits? Trash list.

Rivers had a borderline superteam in LA and couldn't do **** with them. Prime Paul and Griffin should have been a powerhouse. Then he had Kawhi and PG and did nothing again. He has no place on this list. If anyone deserves the credit for Boston it is Ainge. That is a story of horse-trading for the ages.

Rivers? Spoelstra? Just because you're the lucky guy with the superteam doesn't make you a great coach. What has either of them done to elevate a team of misfits? Trash list.
Perhaps, but if other coaches don't know who is/was a great coach, who does?

Spoelstra is by far the best coach in the league right now.