What's new

Jimmer (I was a skeptic as well)

Guitaro

I've been following his workouts and reading what people say about him because I, too, was skeptical if he could transition well enough. Let me just say, that no matter what he does, some people on this board just won't ever give him a legitimate chance to prove himself. Can't always live in the past. This isn't high school. People do change. People can put effort in the gym and improve. Personally, I just don't think BYU's coach is any good. He obviously should've had Jimmer take it to the rack instead of shooting long bombs in their last game. But that's another argument for another day.

I really think some of you have hangups about Jimmer that just don't matter in the NBA. Experience, which breeds confidence are all that matter. Anyone that makes it to the NBA obviously has skill. Some have more than others. In Jimmer's case, he has quite a bit. He has 4 years experience beating all sorts of defenses and different sized players. You really think that overpaid, lazy NBA players are going to do better than super-hyper college kids? Sure, he might be bothered by guys that actually play defense. However, how many pros actually put 100% effort in every night? Besides, from what I've seen, I don't think he'll have any trouble getting by people and scoring from anywhere.

But what I love about the kid is his demeanor and positive attitude. That kind of thing is so great for a young team. How many times have you listened to interviews from young, terrible teams and all you hear is sadness and uncertainty. I can see any team that Jimmer is on always looking for the positive, even if they lose. That's when players start to figure their way out of slumps. They look for the positive.

Seriously, aside from a couple solid role players, what other talent did BYU have and they still found ways to win? It's because when you have a positive attitude you never say die. You never give up. Add that to his competitive fire and you have a real leader. You just don't find those kind of guys every day--even less so with loads of talent.

Defense? Come on, the dude always looked so tired at the end of games from doing so much. Did you really expect that team to say, "sorry Jimmer, but you don't do enough. We need lockdown defense as well." Not gonna happen and still have any juice at the end.

In the NBA, he won't have to play nearly as many minutes at first. Plus, he won't have to use so much energy getting open. The Jazz have many more options to choose from. That means, Jimmer will have many more opportunities for spot-up shooting and passing.

Finally, ask yourself: Who would you rather have shooting the last second three? CJ? Price? Or any other bench guy? Yes, Jimmer will be a bench guy at first, same with most rookies, but I do think he'll earn lots of playing time because of his effort, skills and leadership.

Where to pick? That's the real question, not IF we should take him but WHEN? We could pick him at #3, but I feel like we should maximize that pick if we can. Kanter or another big has a bit more value. Therefore, if we can pick up future picks and/or players along with the #5 or #6 then I think that's about where you'd want him. I really do feel Sacramento will take him if they get the chance. Otherwise, just trade with Sacramento and be done with it.

I don't know about you - but I thought most of this board would agree with us picking Jimmer at #12..

Evidence?

This is the 5th Pro-Jimmer thread started today ...

... and there's only 7 days left til the draft (God please help us get through this)

I think they just gotta get a read on who Sacramento is targeting. I think they're the only worry. Maybe. Who else needs a PG?
Talk is Toronto loves Knight.
Cleveland takes Kyrie #1.
Minny doesn't.
Washington doesn't.
Sacramento...? I thought their backcourt was pretty crowded and they needed a SF.
Detroit - dunno what they're doing with Stuckey.
Bobcats have Augustine and holes other places.
Bucks have Jennings.
Golden State has Curry/Ellis.

Then there's the thought that another team trades with one of these guys to grab Fredette.

New York? - He's D'antoni's kinda player. And they need a future PG behind Chauncey.
Indiana? - They're not done with Collison after one year are they? Don't they need frontline help?

lol, I wasn't going to start a new thread, but my reply to another thread was a bit too long. :)

I think they just gotta get a read on who Sacramento is targeting. I think they're the only worry. Maybe. Who else needs a PG?
Talk is Toronto loves Knight.
Cleveland takes Kyrie #1.
Minny doesn't.
Washington doesn't.
Sacramento...? I thought their backcourt was pretty crowded and they needed a SF.
Detroit - dunno what they're doing with Stuckey.
Bobcats have Augustine and holes other places.
Bucks have Jennings.
Golden State has Curry/Ellis.

Then there's the thought that another team trades with one of these guys to grab Fredette.

New York? - He's D'antoni's kinda player. And they need a future PG behind Chauncey.
Indiana? - They're not done with Collison after one year are they? Don't they need frontline help?

I agree. Although, I think Knight or Kemba would be a better fit for their locker room. Apparently, they both are friends with Tyreke and Cousins.

But the Maloofs were under the Jimmer spell.

That's exactly why we'd need to slide up or down to #6. Are we really that in love with CJ or another bench player? I would think someone between 4-6, or even Sacramento themselves would be a little willing to help the Jazz get one of the only hometown kids they've ever had. :) lol

Yeah I saw that too..

.. if Kings really need a wing, why not package CJ Miles & 12th pick to them for Jimmer?

Works out for the both of us.

Under that scenario we end up with

Harris/ Jimmer
Hayward/Bell
Millsap/Evans/Free Agent
Favors/Milsap
Jefferson/Kanter

On the subject of the main thread, I am have become convinced Jimmer is going to be a very good NBA player.

If we don't draft Knight, that gives one more PG for somebody else to pick instead of him. I would be happy with him at 12, but I do not want to have to trade down to get him. Keep the third pick and get Williams, Kanter or someone else if they know something I don't, then get Jimmer, and if he is not available a wing player. I am OK keeping Harris as our starter if it comes down to that, I would rather have Harris than Kemba.

The answer to our problem:

Draft... whoever at 3.

Trade our #12 pick and Raja Bell and CJ Miles to Sac town for #7 and Omri Cassipi.

Who does Sacramento want more - Jimmer or Kemba? If we take someone other than Knight at #3 then we are most likely forcing Sacramento to choose between the two and then whoever is left over after will most likely be left at #12. I really don't get why we just don't go big at #3 and then take whichever PG is left at #12 as I don't think the gap between Knight, Jimmer & Kemba is very big.

Who does Sacramento want more - Jimmer or Kemba? If we take someone other than Knight at #3 then we are most likely forcing Sacramento to choose between the two and then whoever is left over after will most likely be left at #12. I really don't get why we just don't go big at #3 and then take whichever PG is left at #12 as I don't think the gap between Knight, Jimmer & Kemba is very big.

This.

The answer to our problem:

Draft... whoever at 3.

Trade our #12 pick and Raja Bell and CJ Miles to Sac town for #7 and Omri Cassipi.

Although I think there are a few guys that will be available at 12 that I like, I think this isn't a bad trade at all.

I'm still mixed on Jimmer. I think he could be like D.Will without the drives to the rim. However, half of D.Will's game was being able to make drives to the rim. I'm not sure if a throwback PG is going to be an impact player in today's league.

I'm still mixed on Jimmer. I think he could be like D.Will without the drives to the rim. However, half of D.Will's game was being able to make drives to the rim. I'm not sure if a throwback PG is going to be an impact player in today's league.

Jimmer drove plenty in college, with lots of body contact. Many scouts/experts have commented on how strong he is. He did bench as much or more than many bigs in the combine. He's one tough cookie.

Jimmer, to me, seems like a guy that learns from his mistakes and becomes even more efficient. I don't see him forcing bad shots in the NBA as much. I think, if nothing else, he runs around and wears out the defense while making a few daggers would be worth having on the team.

He gives great effort. He shoots a very high FT%, so he could be our Korver at the end of games. I can just see so many great uses for this kid.

You are wrong that he won't have to work as hard in the NBA to get open. The first time he drops 30 on some team that slacks off, he will be in the sights of defenses across the league. The pressure will be much greater in the end, unless he just can't get it done, then he won't have any pressure at all. Like Boozer.

You are wrong that he won't have to work as hard in the NBA to get open. The first time he drops 30 on some team that slacks off, he will be in the sights of defenses across the league. The pressure will be much greater in the end, unless he just can't get it done, then he won't have any pressure at all. Like Boozer.

Well, whatever the case, he's shown that he learns and adapts. If they slack off or not, they'll run some screens and no problem. If they smother him, he's shown he can find the open man with some clever passing. He's not the ideal PG but based on his continued effort, he'll only improve and get better. Look at the large improvements he made from year-to-year in college.

If Utah takes Kanter @ #3 and wants Jimmer @ #12, but he is gone, they will use next season's GSW/NJN pick alone or in combination with the #12.
I think there are strong PG prospects in the 2012 draft, like Kendall Marshall, Austin Rivers, and Marquis Teague, so it might be better to keep Devin Harris and the #12 this year wait for that new franchise PG next year