What's new

Job Interviews

Coach Nissalke

I do not enjoy these.

Has anyone ever had a job interview that you thought went badly... then you surprisingly got the job?

Or do you have a story where you totally ****** an interview and didn't get the job?

I had one recently.... and am nervous as crap that it didn't go so well. I need some cheering up...

Help.

My job interviews never goes too good, eh, Coach? One thang always makes me feel more better, though. Go back, round about 3 A.M., bust in, and clean out the cash register, ya know? That always ROCKS!

My school prepared us hard for these. I wish I could go back to those gay *** interviews and be myself instead of probably sounding like most of the other students did. I'd prefer my current job to those other ones anyway.

I've never found job interviews to be difficult at all.

Firm handshake
Look them in the eye
Clear, concise answers
Legible writing if filling out an application
Correctly formatted resume with the proper information for the job at hand...having just one resume for all jobs is Ballou.

It's really not that hard.

I am happy to say that every interview I have ever had I was offered the job. The key I use is being very friendly and personable. They have to want to see and talk to you for 40 hours a week. I also talk about how I am competitive but yet I still love to work in a team oriented environment. They always seem to love that.

I don't let myself fall into the trap of just trying to answer whatever questions they ask. I have questions of my own, ya know? And I try to git my questions answered first, before I waste any time with they lame-*** questions.

For example, they might ask me, first, sumthin like: Why are you interested in this job?

My typical response would be sumthin like: Who the hell says I'm interested? Lemme ax ya this: Ya gotta cash register on this here job, or doncha?

It's better to give a bad interview for a job where you won't fit in well than to give a good one. If you gave your employer a reasonable take on your strengths and faults, and you in return treceived a good understanding of the company's culture and how you would fit in, it was a good job interview.

I actually have one tomorrow morning. I actually don't mind interviews. However, my interview tomorrow is over the phone rather than face-to-face which I don't have much experience in. If I get the job I'll be moving to Phoenix, so I'll have to change my name here.

I agree with HymenOne. I'll add be confident. The interviewers want to like their prospective candidates. Show them why.

I actually have one tomorrow morning. I actually don't mind interviews. However, my interview tomorrow is over the phone rather than face-to-face which I don't have much experience in. If I get the job I'll be moving to Phoenix, so I'll have to change my name here.

Wow talk about climate change.

I've never found job interviews to be difficult at all.

Firm handshake
Look them in the eye
Clear, concise answers
Legible writing if filling out an application
Correctly formatted resume with the proper information for the job at hand...having just one resume for all jobs is Ballou.

It's really not that hard.

Nice, Dick. Really nice.

One of the things most interviewers look for is for the applicant to ask questions...LOTS of them. If you don't, they think you're really not interested in the job. So before you go, write down a list of questions you might have, as many as you can think of and even bring it in with you. They'll see you as being prepared and that's another thing they look for. Also, it's advisable not to bring up salary in most cases, unless the interviewer brings it up themselves. Hope these pointers help.

I do not enjoy these.

Has anyone ever had a job interview that you thought went badly... then you surprisingly got the job?

Or do you have a story where you totally ****** an interview and didn't get the job?

I had one recently.... and am nervous as crap that it didn't go so well. I need some cheering up...

Help.

I detest them. They are the sole reason I don't have a better job now. They are such an archaic way of giving someone a job too. You are, in essence, telling employers you don't give a damn about skills but how you answer a bunch of garbage questions.

Here's one of the popular pointless questions they ask:

What's your greatest weakness?

Can anyone tell me the #$#$ing point of that one? I think I'll tell them "kryptonite" if I get asked it again.

Heh, that reminds me of one of my favorite Simpsons lines:

Smithers: What would each of you say is your worst quality?
Man 1: Well, I a workaholic.
Man 2: I push myself too hard.
Homer: Well, it takes me a long time to learn anything,
I'm kind of a goof-off...
Smithers: Okay, that'll do.
Homer: ... a little stuff starts disappearing from the workplace...
Smithers: That's enough!

They really don't want your real weakness, right? They want some bs answer about your strength being a weakness (ie being a workaholic) or some minor weakness you have and how you're trying to improve it (sometimes I'm 5 minutes late coming back from lunch by my iphone has an app to stop that).

The sad thing is I've worked in plenty of places where idiots charm the interviewer and get the job, yet can't do their job worth crap. Internships would fix most of this IMO.

Last edited:
For my current job I was first contacted by a head-hunter and did a phone interview with him. Then I was put in contact with someone in charge of hiring and did a phone interview with him. Then I was put in contact with my potential department manager and did a phone interview with him.

In the meantime I was contacted by another head-hunter working for a vendor that worked for the the company I was already interviewing with, and I did a phone interview with the site manager, then met him at a hotel for a one-on-one interview. I was extended a job offer from them that I waited to accept.

Then I was contacted by another head-hunter working for a different vendor that worked for the copmpany I was interviewing with. I never got an interview with them, guess the head-hunter wasnt impressed.

Finally, I went to a dinner the night before my interview where several dept. managers took turns telling us how great the company we might work for was going to be. They had us sitting at tables mixed with potential employees and dept managers.

The next day I had 4 interviews. The first was with a kid working in HR who asked a lot of questions about how I deal with conflict. the answer to these questions (at least the ones I gave) were that communication is the key. First I talk with the person I'm having a problem with in order to help them understand what my issue is. If that doesn't work I talk to my most immediate supervisor and let them know what is going on. I said that I would normally expect that to be the end of it, but that if my supervisor was unable or unwilling to solve the problem and he hadn't passed it up the chain that I would contact the next person in line and let them know what the situation was. If working with my own dept to solve the problem didn't work I would contact HR. That seemed to be the ticket. I was asked about difficult work situations in the past and how I handled them. I was asked about hypothetical situations and how I would handle them. Another about working for a difficult boss. Turns out communication and mutual understanding is almost always the right answer. Except when safety is an issue, then you can't yell loud enough or fast enough to anyone in the comapany to put a stop to the safety concern.

Then I had my technical interview with my potential dept manager and two other dept managers. They asked technical questions about the field I work in and verified my qualifications. I had to solve a few puzzles/logic questions. They wanted to verify that what I had stated was my previous income was correct, so I showed them my paystubs.

Then I had to meet with the site manager, but this was very breif, as I suspect he just had to sign off on all new hires and wanted to at least see them face to face before doing so.

Then I had to submit a urine sample for a surprise drug test.

Then I met with the hiring manager who actually asked a few questions about my expectations and my impression so far. A few of those and he gave me a written offer. I think they were interested in verifying my previous pay because it was slightly higher than their standard offer, so they upped the offer to match. Other people who came out of the military were not asked to prove their pay. I think mine was differnt because I lived in San Diego and got a pretty hefty housing allowance from the Navy. Aslo, I had been promoted quickly and was a rank higher than a lot of people only serving one enlistment. I accepted the offer on the spot.

I don't think it hurt that my potential dept. manager graduated from BYU and my name is strikingly similar to the person the college was named after. He didn't need to know that my ideology is radically different.

All that for a silly little high school drop-out like me? Take that, Mr. Fredrickson!

I've had over 20 jobs in my life and I can't remember once interviewing face to face and not getting the job. Altough Select Comfort and NPS offerd me lesser jobs than I had applied for. In both cases I took the lesser job, but quit within a month.

Here's one of the popular pointless questions they ask:

What's your greatest weakness?

Can anyone tell me the #$#$ing point of that one? ...

I see it as 1) gauging a fit to the rest of their department, and 2) checking for problem-solving skills.

They really don't want your real weakness, right? They want some bs answer about your strength being a weakness (ie being a workaholic) or some minor weakness you have and how you're trying to improve it (sometimes I'm 5 minutes late coming back from lunch by my iphone has an app to stop that).

In my case, I've talked about having issues with focusing on a task and meeting deadlines. I don't get offered every job I've applied for, but I do get bosses that help me with my deadlines and tolerate my occasional lack of focus. I think if you frankly discuss your weaknesses, it makes you more believable when you frankly discuss your strengths, as well.

Had my phone interview this morning, lasted 45 minutes. Went pretty well and they want me to fly down to Phoenix to do 2 days of interviews and testing. It's a big commitment without an offer, but I think I'm going to do it. Need to get out of this hell-hole that is Alaska. Anyone on the board live in the Phoenix area?