What's new

John Oliver facing 15 years in prison for attempting to bribe Supreme Court Justice

I don't think anything will come of it as John Oliver is loved by the left and the DOJ is only weaponized against the political right, but he clearly did attempt to bribe a Supreme Court Justice on tape.

I thought he already was getting trips and gifts and whatnot from those on the right. Since the DOJ is weaponized against the political right, clearly prosecutions will be forthcoming for those bribes

I thought he already was getting trips and gifts and whatnot from those on the right. Since the DOJ is weaponized against the political right, clearly prosecutions will be forthcoming for those bribes
The difference between those gifts from billionaire friends and John Oliver's offer is the quid pro quo on tape. John Oliver spelled out explicitly how much he was willing to pay and exactly what official act he wanted in exchange for the payment.

The difference between those gifts from billionaire friends and John Oliver's offer is the quid pro quo on tape. John Oliver spelled out explicitly how much he was willing to pay and exactly what official act he wanted in exchange for the payment.
I'm not sure retiring counts as an official act. Either way, nothing will come from this.

Oh those billionaires had quid pro quo as well.
Being on tape or not shouldn't matter in your fictional world of weaponized justice system. Or are you saying that the weaponized justice system would require proof and evidence to prosecute those on the political right? Doesn't really jibe

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Nice try, but no. 18 U.S. Code § 201 is not limited to favorable rulings.

(3) the term “official act” means any decision or action on any question, matter, cause, suit, proceeding or controversy, which may at any time be pending, or which may by law be brought before any public official, in such official’s official capacity, or in such official’s place of trust or profit.

Favorable rulings and stays of execution of other judicial findings are the only official acts Thomas can perform. Resigning is not an official act.

Such as what exactly?
Why would the "what" matter to a weaponized justice system? They would just make something up right? What would Putin do?

Why would the "what" matter to a weaponized justice system? They would just make something up right? What would Putin do?
Putin would make up some excuse, use it to seize the oligarch's assets, and then imprison or kill whoever it was. We've passed the 'make up some excuse' point. The 'use it to seize the oligarch's assets' is happening now. In the coming months we can expect Trump to be sentenced to prison and for the camera system to be mysteriously turned off before they find his body.

As for the billionaires who are friends of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, they're all bad, right? The same will happen to them.

Putin would make up some excuse, use it to seize the oligarch's assets, and then imprison or kill whoever it was. We've passed the 'make up some excuse' point. The 'use it to seize the oligarch's assets' is happening now. In the coming months we can expect Trump to be sentenced to prison and for the camera system to be mysteriously turned off before they find his body.

As for the billionaires who are friends of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, they're all bad, right? The same will happen to them.
Ah so you have changed your tune then. I'm not surprised. Trump owns you.

I disagree. I don't think those who bribed Thomas will have anything happen to them.
This is America. Evidence and proof is necessary. That's why trump is in so much trouble. Lots of evidence and proof.

Is Al-O just right wing AI designed to create the dumbest threads on forums?
There is pretty stiff competition in GD for worst takes. He might be the current #1 though. He's up there with old dutchy. Most of them are eye roll worthy trolls like this one. But he really gets going with the disgusting takes when it comes to women. But the local idiot is really trying hard to compete. Being the worse on the Jazz forum isn't enough for him I guess.

As for John Oliver, if a prosecutor out there thinks Oliver broke the law and there is sufficient evidence to win a conviction then you will see him in court for this soon.

This is America. Evidence and proof is necessary. That's why trump is in so much trouble. Lots of evidence and proof.
New York has changed the game. Now not even a trial is necessary. Trump was found guilty summarily. The prosecutor said they found forms where Trump had claimed to be richer than he was and the judge declared him guilty without a trial. It wasn't even a crime being alleged but was instead a civil violation which let them ignore many of the pesky due process requirements. Only after Trump was found guilty were Trump and his lawyers allowed any defense in court as part of the sentencing process.

The mechanism New York just used to seize half a billion dollars didn't require a crime, a victim, or a jury, and there was nothing in the process they just used that would in any way limit its use to Trump. New York has just shown that it can and will take anything they want from anyone they want.

Last edited: