What's new

John Wall--Max Player?

If you were the Washington GM, would you offer John Wall a Maximum Contract Extension?

• Yes, sign him to the Max

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No way. Not ever.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not now. Wait and let him become a RFA.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

mellow

The Washington Wizards signed pg John Wall to an 80 Million dollar extension.

Wall will make more $$$ than Rondo, Tony Parker, Stephani Curry, and Mario Chalmers.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/...rds-signs-5-year-80-million-extension-reports

"Although Wall missed nearly half of the 2012-13 season after knee surgery, his strong recovery during Washington's final 49 games and solid connection with fellow young guard Bradley Beal convinced Wizards management that the former Kentucky star is worthy of a franchise-player contract."

"Wall averaged 18.5 points, 7.6 assists and 4.0 rebounds after his January return while shooting a career-best 44.1 percent from the field.
" ~ESPN

If you were the Washington GM would you do it?

Jazz face similar decision with Hayward & Favors. Just not at Max level.

The Jazz shouldn't max someone like Wall, but if I'm the Washington Wizards?. . .
That is just a generic club with no identity. If Wall can be the face of the franchise and give those fans (are there die hard Wizard fans?) someone to cheer for, it may be worth it for them. Before they can move to contenders, they need to not be a joke. They need an anchor of consistency.
Now is Wall that person? I haven't followed him enough to know.

Its kind of tough to say.

At first I want to say no, but he is an intriguing player sort of. He has all the makings of an elite player like DRose or Westbrook, but will he put it all together. Does he have it mentally? I dunno.

If I'm Washington, yes I do it, and pray he fufills his potential.

Injury history/not winning/ not great stats.

I don't get where the max deal is coming from?

Would another team offer him max in RFA? Is it cheaper to extend him now than match later (the only way I see this making sense)?

Its kind of tough to say.

At first I want to say no, but he is an intriguing player sort of. He has all the makings of an elite player like DRose or Westbrook, but will he put it all together. Does he have it mentally? I dunno.

If I'm Washington, yes I do it, and pray he fufills his potential.

Yeah, I get that, but would someone else really offer him the max? What if he gets hurt again this year? I just think it would have been better to wait, unless the money he could have made in RFA is way more than the extension.

Just for reference, Steph Curry got a 10 million per year extension when he had injury problems and wasn't winning.

Turned out great for the Warriors, ****ty for Steph. I guess maybe Wall's agent played that card.

No. I'd offer him 12 or 13. If he doesn't take it, worst case scenario is someone else gives him the max in free agency and you have to match it.

I don't like maxing PG's..
Wall is a needed identity for the Wizards.. will keep fan interest.. and they have him for 5 years. (On the + side)
Wall will be a top 5 PG in the league this year.. nect year at the latest.
I dont like maxing PGs..

What I dont understand....... was there ANY downside to waiting until next year to max him?

I don't like maxing PG's..
Wall is a needed identity for the Wizards.. will keep fan interest.. and they have him for 5 years. (On the + side)
Wall will be a top 5 PG in the league this year.. nect year at the latest.
I dont like maxing PGs..
Garth! That was a haiku.