What's new

[Jones]BREAKING: Jazz willing to engage Celtics in S&T talks: But Gordon Hayward must agree

• Thread starter Deleted member 95
  • Start date
That's one of the benefits from their perspective. It allows them to keep their depth and enough assets to be flexible with other moves.
My understanding with the new sign and trade rules is that you do have to still be under the cap. You need a team under the cap like how Atlanta was to make a trade work. But I also am seeing conflict reports. But sign and trades almost never happen now and that was one of the stated reasons.

Have any of our capologists done the math on the Celtics adding Hogwarts? I know I have read the list of players that they have to cut was 6 and that even still they are $300,000 short. So it appears that the celtics will have to lose some even more important players if they can't execute a trade. I think because of that, the Jazz are in the driver's seat here but I don't know it.

They Jazz are a willing partner and have the ability to facilitate the move. Hayward, Bartlestain, and politics are pushing a bit. Ainge probably doesn't have that many willing partners in the East who will help them out. There aren't many teams in the league that have any $$$ left to add Crowder to their rosters without cutting assets. Example, if it weren't for a sign and trade deal, would you want to (with your own cash) cut a guy like Alec Burks, pay him every penny of his contract, so that you could sign Crowder and pay him as well, to help the Celtics out... all while knowing you can't compete against the superteams? AND you have to give up an asset to Boston to do it?

I doubt there are many teams who are willing to do that even for a second round pick.

The exception we would get can't be combines with other exceptions or mle right? Can it be combined with an ongoing player.

My understanding with the new sign and trade rules is that you do have to still be under the cap. You need a team under the cap like how Atlanta was to make a trade work. But I also am seeing conflict reports. But sign and trades almost never happen now and that was one of the stated reasons.
Teams over the LT don't get to participate in sign-and-trades. Sign and trades exist largely to facilitate moves for one or more team over the cap.

They have his bird rights still... they just lost the ability to match an offer.

Very nice. Then they have plenty of incentive to work with us... heavily protected first that turns into a second plus another second or a protected 1st round pick swap that turns into a second when... I mean if we are better than them.

Pretty sure I'm drinking the haterade but if we get crowder and add a little FA depth are we that much worse... I mean Donovan is likely first team all NBA and Exum looks like he may steal the MIP from Hood in a tight race.

We need an expert on bird law to help us. @Charley.

The exception we would get can't be combines with other exceptions or mle right? Can it be combined with an ongoing player.

I think the MLE has some value right now and the exception is cool to use for a year. Huge asset.

Very nice. Then they have plenty of incentive to work with us... heavily protected first that turns into a second plus another second or a protected 1st round pick swap that turns into a second when... I mean if we are better than them.

Pretty sure I'm drinking the haterade but if we get crowder and add a little FA depth are we that much worse... I mean Donovan is likely first team all NBA and Exum looks like he may steal the MIP from Hood in a tight race.

I don't think it's Haterade. Getting Crowder and that exception would be an extraordinary coup.

I'm not going to participate in historical revisionism. Hayward was great. Efficient, high-volume scorers that share the ball are exceptionally rare.

My point is the Jazz are going to be worse and have a worse record. But having Crowder would make this team very fun to root for.

Yeah. I'm just not sure if indeed they renounced only his QO or his rights altogether.

I thought a S&T was "imminent". They could have said "eventual" so I can go get ready for work.

Teams over the LT don't get to participate in sign-and-trades. Sign and trades exist largely to facilitate moves for one or more team over the cap.

I believe the rule is that the receiving team must be below the apron upon the completion of the trade. The apron this year I think is about 6 million over the LT.

I thought a S&T was "imminent". They could have said "eventual" so I can go get ready for work.

Hayward is on his way to Boston as is Ainge and Stevens. They can't make an announcement without trading some salary first. I think it gets done today.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app