What's new

Jordan Clarkson Trivia

Hitman

Out of all the players selected in the 2014 Draft, #1 Pick Andrew Wiggins has played the most minutes (15,315) by a large margin.

The player from that draft who has played the second-most minutes is #46 pick Jordan Clarkson (11,288).

The Top Ten in minutes played of players selected in the 2014 draft, as of today, contains three second-round picks (draft position in brackets):

1. Wiggins (1) 15,315
2. Clarkson (46) 11,288
3. Elfrid Payton (10) 10,512
4. Aaron Gordon (4) 10,403
5. Marcus Smart (6) 10,377
6. Jerami Grant (39) 10,024
7. Zach LaVine (13) 9,942
8. Julius Randle (7) 9,941
9. Gary Harris (19) 9,939
10. Nikola Jokic (41) 9,771

No surprise given his injury history and sparse usage, but Exum is at #28 in minutes played (4,086), and is basically the cut-off point for players who were drafted that year who are still in the league. Nik Stauskas is the only drafted player with more minutes to be out of the league, and the only drafted players with fewer minutes still in the league are Jordan McRae (1,257; 35th), Bruno Caboclo (1,203; 36th) and Thanasis Antetokounmpo (48 minutes, 53rd and last - seven players selected in the draft never even played in the NBA).

As an aside, there have also been 32 undrafted players eligible for this draft who have played in the NBA, and six of them are still in the league. Four would comfortably fit on the list of minutes played by draftees: Langston Galloway (8,506; 12th), Tyler Johnson (7,644; 15th), Tim Frazier (4,740; 27th) and Maxi Kleber (3,510; 29th).

Jerami Grant was one of the players I was hoping the Jazz could some how swing a sign and trade the year prior but OKC re-signed him and a later they then traded him to DNV. I honestly have no clue how he's doing/playing in DNV but he seems like a nice fit to fill the Favors vacancy role PF that can play some C still not sure why DNV traded for him as well as got him for so very little, especially when DNV already had a combo of old and young PF's on their roster.

Interestingly, Clarkson has had a negative BPM in every season he has played, and overall his BPM is 27th among players from his draft class (Hood is 20th and Exum is 35th). Even with the weaknesses of the BPM metric, particularly with defense, it is still interesting to note.

Donovan Mitchell has had a positive BPM in each season he has played.

Interestingly, Clarkson has had a negative BPM in every season he has played, and overall his BPM is 27th among players from his draft class (Hood is 20th and Exum is 35th). Even with the weaknesses of the BPM metric, particularly with defense, it is still interesting to note.

Donovan Mitchell has had a positive BPM in each season he has played.

he’s also played on dreadful teams almost his entire career too, time will tell in the end.

I guess I didn’t realize they were from the same draft. Funny thinking of the optics of packaging the #5 pick with two second rounders to grab the #46 pick. I don’t care. That’s the right move. But I think optics like that, which should be completely irrelevant to what you’re going to do, has prevented us from making any moves like this in the past. Too often I think DL has viewed this as the price he paid, where he let Al go as well as Millsap, who became a three-time all-star, so that we could execute a tank that landed Exum, and he was desperate for a return on that money (which getting someone like Clarkson is, but I think the FO has more direct returns in mind). Hopefully seeing how well Clarkson lifts us cures him of that.

But Clarkson is an interesting grab. Last year we had massive holes to fill in the offense (and I don’t think anyone could have fathomed how much we’d fill those [and at the end of the season when Conley produces]), and it took some sacrifices to fill them. We now have the flexibility this summer of retaining two guys who will drop 20+ every night in addition to having three other guys who can drop 20+ on any given night. We just have a couple small holes to patch and we’ll have the MLE and BAE to do it with. I’m not even sure what we should do with our first rounder as we have like 4 million rookies and developmental guys.