What's new

Jordan Hamilton

let me make a quick case for Hayward becoming the kind of player that most of you are conjuring with your dreams for a SG. --Note, I know we need an SG in the worst way, but bear with me.

If you look at the way a PG like Harris breaks down the defense, then you'll see that there are going to be defenders collapsing and thus giving perimeter players a good look at a set 3pt shot. The dangerous combination comes when you have a player that is respected enough from deep that the defender will mad-rush to correct for his collapse, allowing the offensive player to make him pay for this correction by putting the ball on the floor and propagating the flaw in the defense. Manu Ginobili is the master of this process; Parker is Dr. Speed. I think this is exactly the role for which we drafted Hayward. HE is the second perimeter guy to catch the ball and shoot or dribble. I think he can become a 37-40% 3pt shooter if he is committed, and he damn well better be because his career depends on it.

Now, what we need is TWO more wings that can roam around and wait for Hayward's pass back out to the perimeter and shoot it with near 40% accuracy. They don't need to have driving skills immediately, IMO, so this Texas kid could work fine until he figures it out.

While I didn't watch the Nets during Harris's breakout year, it is worth noting that he was playing with Carter at the wing, who possessed a skill set similar to the one I'm describing.