What's new

Jr Jazz - Meet a Jazz Player Night

Last night was the annual Jr Jazz night where kids/players in the southwest end of Salt Lake County got to meet a Utah Jazz player at West Jordan High School. This year it was Paul Milsap. Last year it was Devin Harris. Harris was much more talkative and open, but Millsap was nice, just mumbled quietly alot. I am sure some of you either have Jr Jazz memories of meeting a player or taking a kid to meet a player on a night like that. Details?

The Jr. Jazz kids are lucky these days. It was usually worse players than Millsap when I was in Jr. Jazz. Jeff Hornacek was hands down the best player I got to see at one of these. The next best was Jeff Malone. Walter Bond did it one year.

As for a pic, I've got one (Millsap) courtesy of the Utah Jazz Nation page on Facebook:

25gzas6.jpg

Millsap creating some goodwill with team execs and lobbying to stay in Utah?

Nice gesture by Paul. Most of the time it is the scrubs or new players who do these kinds of activities.

The Jr. Jazz kids are lucky these days. It was usually worse players than Millsap when I was in Jr. Jazz. Jeff Hornacek was hands down the best player I got to see at one of these. The next best was Jeff Malone. Walter Bond did it one year.

As for a pic, I've got one (Millsap) courtesy of the Utah Jazz Nation page on Facebook:

25gzas6.jpg
Look how unenthusiastic he looks. He's clearly pissed off at Jazz management, and has one foot out the door. The way he's holding that mic screams "trade me now!"

Several years ago I went to my old elementary school when Memo came to visit. He had to bend over pretty far to walk through any of the doors. The next day he missed the Jazz game due to "back pains" lol.

I met Karl Malone at one of these events in the 80's at Taylorsville High. We arrived late and walked in with him. I remember being in awe of how big he looked on TV, yet how skinny he was in real life. Also met Thurl at one of these.

None other than Stephen "Urkel" Howard showed at mine I believe. I was pretty young though, so they could have had the Jazz ball boy show up and I would've thought it was cool.

Mark Eaton. He showed us how to dribble two basketballs at once. I never used that skill in a game though. Thanks for nothing Big Mark.

I saw Blue Edwards and John Stockton. Stock totally bailed on all us kids after a short demo proving he could dunk, refusing to sign autographs. On court he was one of my all time favorite players. Off the court he is a royal douche bag to his fans. Many, many examples other than this. On the flip side, Karl and every other Jazz man I've met have been great.