What's new

Julius Randle > D'Angelo Russell

checkbookdoc

I think the Jazz would be better off signing Randall than DLo. My reasoning is below. I am curious how hot a take this is.

Defense: Randle > DLo - I don't know what the stats say, but my eyes think that right now DLo and Randall provide similar defensive value. However, I rank Randle higher because his athleticism gives him more defensive upside and it is more common to see mid-career improvement from bigs than guards. Furthermore, Randle has aspects of his defense that are positive (e.g., rebounding, weakside blocking) and the worst part of his defense (fouling) can be improved with coaching. Also, I think it is easier for this Jazz team to cover up Randle's defense than DLo's.

Offense: Randle > DLo - DLo is a good offensive player (although somewhat inefficient) but I believe Randle is better.
Randle can isolate, pass, draw fouls, rebound-and-go, offensive rebound, and last year he added the 3pt to his game hitting at a .344 clip shooting 2.7 per game (extra impressive because he only shot .5 a game the year before).
Randle is also very consistent, last year he scored 15 points or more in all but 12 of his 73 games (some of the 12 games he left early because of injury). Some of this consistency is due to the physical nature of his game which allows him to force the issue and draw fouls. I think this consistency suggests that his game would translate to the playoffs very well.

Positional Versatility: Randle > DLo - Randle has had success playing Center and could be used as the primary back up (similar to Favors last year) or in small ball lineups when the Jazz want to play 5 out (we haven't had this lineup option for years).

Value: Randle > DLo - DLo is going to get the max (~29M/yr). Randle will probably be paid between 15M and 20M/yr.

Availability: Randle > DLo - First off, DLo is a restricted FA but Randle is unrestricted. Second, Utah could outbid other teams for Randle, but other teams are going to offer DLo the max.

Anyways, I think Randle will grow into an all-star caliber player. Would love to get him on this team as the second option and easily prefer him over Russell. What is it about DLo that makes him such a better fit/prospect?

I like randle quite a bit. I would prefer Russell but would love to get randle.

I don't see randle as being a center though. (I could be wrong).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I would strongly prefer Russell but Randle would be an okay pickup. We still would need another player at the Guard position.

If we waive Favors we have room for both though possibly.

I would be extremely happy with either. I personally think Randle would improve our offense immensely. Donovan, Ingles and our PG would get more open looks. Gobert would have more space. Much like the Winslow scenarios, I think we could play Donovan, O'Neale, Ingles, Randle and Gobert together. We don't have to have a PG because Randle can handle the ball so well.

My only question with Randle is - would our front office drop Favors in order to add Randle? I just don't think our front office has the balls to do it.

I think Randle vs Favors on our team is pretty even. Randle can do some things better but Favors does things better as well. The only advantage would be if we get Randle for cheaper and longer contact allowing us to get someone like Russell.

I think Randle vs Favors on our team is pretty even. Randle can do some things better but Favors does things better as well. The only advantage would be if we get Randle for cheaper and longer contact allowing us to get someone like Russell.

Gobert and O'Neale are top notch defenders. Donovan, Crowder, Exum and Ingles are above average defenders. Donovan is our only above average offensive player. Sure O'Neale and Ingles can hit threes and Gobert can lead the league in dunks, but nobody other than Donovan can score the ball.

Randle adds an offensive element Favors can only dream about. Sure Favors is a better defender, but this team doesn't need defense as much as it needs the offense Randle can provide.

I think this take is way off.
Maybe an argument could be made that Favors and Randle are similar quality players, but Randle is clearly a better fit for what the Jazz need. Favors in his best role is mostly redundant with Gobert, while Randle brings a lot to the offense (he efficiently scored 20+ a game for NOP last year).

Gobert and O'Neale are top notch defenders. Donovan, Crowder, Exum and Ingles are above average defenders. Donovan is our only above average offensive player. Sure O'Neale and Ingles can hit threes and Gobert can lead the league in dunks, but nobody other than Donovan can score the ball.

Randle adds an offensive element Favors can only dream about. Sure Favors is a better defender, but this team doesn't need defense as much as it needs the offense Randle can provide.
I disagree about not needing his defense. I also think there are things favors is better at on offense as well.

It's pretty easy to pull Gobert out leaving no defensive bigs hurts. Also Randle means less crowder at pf as well who is a good defender.

I think this take is way off.
Maybe an argument could be made that Favors and Randle are similar quality players, but Randle is clearly a better fit for what the Jazz need. Favors in his best role is mostly redundant with Gobert, while Randle brings a lot to the offense (he efficiently scored 20+ a game for NOP last year).
How did that team do?

How did that team do?
Would it have been better with Favors?
The concern with players putting up numbers on a bad team are usually mitigated when the numbers are efficient. For example, here is a list of players i would rather have than Favors all of whom are from teams with poor records: KAT, Luka, Booker, Beal.

Last edited:
And randle is younger, has more upside, would probably average more than 23 minutes per game, and I think would make our others players better offensively.

I disagree about not needing his defense. I also think there are things favors is better at on offense as well.

It's pretty easy to pull Gobert out leaving no defensive bigs hurts. Also Randle means less crowder at pf as well who is a good defender.
Crowder can play the 3 imo and that would take some of the burden off Ingles (I think he plays too many minutes and is worn down for the playoffs) which is a good thing.

If we took out Favors and added Randle, we would be a better team. I have zero doubt. Offense is half of the game of basketball. Randle helps every aspect of the offense - shooting, spacing, ball handling, passing, everything.

If we love Favors that much as the backup to Gobert and sometimes PF, then add Randle and keep Favors. Seems redundant, but at least our front court would be set for the foreseeable future.

Trade Bradley
Sign Randle
Pick up Favors' option
Play Crowder a little bit more at SF

96 minutes for PF and C:
Gobert 32 mpg
Randle 30mpg
Favors 23mpg
Crowder 27mpg (11 at PF)

I like the idea of Randall personally and think he, along with another “value add” at guard will be a legit option if we don’t have a path to a marquee free agent.

It won’t be sexy day one but could legit make us better than we have been in years with depth and tradable asset/contracts.