What's new

Kanter's Game Last Night

Hm you are right. I have to stop thinking that Drummond is well on the defensive end. But he has all the tools to be great and maybe thats why i am thinking he is great already .

Despite the Drummond example i am right :D

I personally think Kanter is an OK defender his problem is that he is having to help everyone. Since Wes Matthews was on the team I don't think that we have had a wing who can actually man up. Kanter is not the quickest to rotate or run back to his man. But, no one on the Jazz is rotating efficiently.

Back to the Love comparison watching that game Love did nothing to stop Kanter what so ever. We need to quit acting like these players are elite defenders. Plus, it seems like our GMs have been drafting mostly offensive heavy players aside from Favors since Eaton. You can develop defense but it is going to take some time. Kanter just needs to work on pushing his man off the blocks and holding his position.

Karma is a bitch indeed, but this franchise's mentality is bitcher. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a ridiculous contract after this season.

I'd try my best if I were Lindsey to extend Burks and Kanter after the season. With a different coach, I guarantee both will have much better seasons next year. Proirity should first be deciding on which, if any, FA's to go after. If none, then cap space can be offered to other teams to facilitate deals, just like we did with GS. Then start talks with the agents for Burks and Kanter. And settle on a deal with Gordon once he discovers no one is going to give him $10M or more.

Actually, I take that back. I'd be talking first with the teams that WILL have cap space to see if any want to trade for Gordon. Make it known Utah has the cap space and WILL match an offer for him so the only way to get him at a reasonable price is to make a trade. Of course no team will give up their top-3 pick, but perhaps the deal includes players with expiring contracts PLUS the rights to their 2014 draft pick.

It's officially time to jump off the "Jump On Enes" bandwagon.

For months, Kanter took a huge portion of the blame for Utah's losing because of his poor defense and plus/minus rating.

But a number of advanced stats show either Kanter isn't as bad as people say, or Favors isn't as good.

According to 82games.com, Kanter is allowing the same effective field-goal percentage (55.5) to opposing centers as Favors. He's also allowing a lower player efficiency rating to opposing 5s (19.7 to 24.9).

Kanter's defense isn't great, but it's also not the reason Utah is 20-36.

Instead of focusing on what he has done wrong, it's time to start appreciating how good the 21-year-old Kanter has been.

Since Jan. 1, he's third on the team in scoring at 14.3 points a game. His field-goal percentage of 57.7 is second only to Jeremy Evans. And he's doing it in just 24.9 minutes.

Because of his ability to bully smaller defenders at the rim, or step away and hit jump shots out to 17 to 18 feet, Kanter is proving to be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

He's been great as a rebounder, too, leading the team in contested rebound percentage at 53.1.

Going forward, Kanter should be allowed to play more minutes, especially while sharing the floor with Favors.

If these two are supposed to be the future frontcourt of the Jazz, they need to be given the opportunity to develop chemistry now.

from https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1971895-5-players-with-a-chance-to-shine-during-utah-jazz-stretch-run/page/6

Still think Favors has more of an impact on the game than Kanter, because as a team our defense is so bad, but like I've said many times before: we lose when Kanter starts not because Kanter sucks, but because we are absent a critical piece.

Kanter's career high in assist is 4, before that it was 3 (and he only got that two times). Kanter is currently a black hole until he starts averaging at least 2 assist per game (given 30 mpg). Right now he is at .9 for 26 mpg. That is the definition of black hole.

Dude your problem is you are so much obsessed with stats. Stats are like mini skirts, you think there is something special inside but you never know until you actually see it. Stats easily may show you a guy better than he actually is and it doesnt show the contribution you do team play and off ball stuff like positioning or else.

Kanter has so much to improve on, but it is really funny some people expect him to be a defender like Howard. He was never that athlete player and he will never be. He is a PF first of all, who has good touch for a big and very good offensive footwork. You can add as many positives as you want and we both know he has many flaws. But that doesnt mean he should be benched behind freaking Jefferson or M.Williams. Why not play 2 strong post guys instead of a shooter PF? Corbin is the one to be criticized way before Kanter at this point.

It is true that Kanter can't fulfill his potential right now, but you guys should question whether there is a good environment for him to do that? You cant discourage young people by benching them or shouting at them after the first mistake he do, you should insist on him until he learns from his mistakes and become a better player but our weird coach dont do that. Even though i missed most games this season i can still see this, why cant you?

Still think Favors has more of an impact on the game than Kanter, because as a team our defense is so bad, but like I've said many times before: we lose when Kanter starts not because Kanter sucks, but because we are absent a critical piece.
Agree with you there. What was the problem the first of the season when Kanter started? Utah had the Freakin' brothers at PG: John Freakin' Lucas and Jamaal Freakin' Tinsley. Any team would have a difficult time winning with those two running the offense. And obviously now, if Favors is out, then the bench is considerably weakened by starting Kanter and having Gobert and Evans play the backup minutes.

I like having Kanter and Burks come off the bench. Alec has significantly increased his PPM over last season, while Kanter is about the same (they're both around .5). Both have the ability to come in and score 15-20 pts off the bench. Off the bench, they're the primary options. In the starting lineup, they would defer to Favors, Hayward and even Burke.

Marvin is having a career best year in terms of shooting (46%/41%). He's a decent defender. I think he's really found a niche and is a quality, short-minutes starter (26/game). Favors 32, Kanter 28, Marvin 26, Gobert 10. That's what I'd like to see at the 4/5 next season.

Agree with you there. What was the problem the first of the season when Kanter started? Utah had the Freakin' brothers at PG: John Freakin' Lucas and Jamaal Freakin' Tinsley. Any team would have a difficult time winning with those two running the offense. And obviously now, if Favors is out, then the bench is considerably weakened by starting Kanter and having Gobert and Evans play the backup minutes.

I like having Kanter and Burks come off the bench. Alec has significantly increased his PPM over last season, while Kanter is about the same (they're both around .5). Both have the ability to come in and score 15-20 pts off the bench. Off the bench, they're the primary options. In the starting lineup, they would defer to Favors, Hayward and even Burke.

Marvin is having a career best year in terms of shooting (46%/41%). He's a decent defender. I think he's really found a niche and is a quality, short-minutes starter (26/game). Favors 32, Kanter 28, Marvin 26, Gobert 10. That's what I'd like to see at the 4/5 next season.

The only problem I have with Burks and Kanter not starting, is that we haven't figured out how good they can be while in that lineup.

Actually, I take that back. I'd be talking first with the teams that WILL have cap space to see if any want to trade for Gordon. Make it known Utah has the cap space and WILL match an offer for him so the only way to get him at a reasonable price is to make a trade. Of course no team will give up their top-3 pick, but perhaps the deal includes players with expiring contracts PLUS the rights to their 2014 draft pick.

Did you see the bull**** that Philly just got for Turner? We aren't getting that deal unless the market takes a serious turn.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];774898 said:
Did you see the bull**** that Philly just got for Turner? We aren't getting that deal unless the market takes a serious turn.
Completely different scenario. Turner was a) going to be a free agent; b) Philly had no interest in signing him next season, and c) Sixers wanted to take an extra $6M back to reach the salary floor. In this case it was a REVERSE salary dump.

A team like Boston, that has no cap space, may have been hesitant to trade for Hayward because there's a chance they wind up with a top-3 pick. Let's say they get the 5th pick. Would they rather trade the rights to that pick + other assets to Utah for Hayward? They can then get Hayward and exceed the cap. Otherwise, they have to clear out enough cap space and vastly overpay to make sure Utah doesn't match the offer.

Completely different scenario. Turner was a) going to be a free agent; b) Philly had no interest in signing him next season, and c) Sixers wanted to take an extra $6M back to reach the salary floor. In this case it was a REVERSE salary dump.

A team like Boston, that has no cap space, may have been hesitant to trade for Hayward because there's a chance they wind up with a top-3 pick. Let's say they get the 5th pick. Would they rather trade the rights to that pick + other assets to Utah for Hayward? They can then get Hayward and exceed the cap. Otherwise, they have to clear out enough cap space and vastly overpay to make sure Utah doesn't match the offer.

Let me put it another way:
Who got first round picks at the deadline this year?

I'd try my best if I were Lindsey to extend Burks and Kanter after the season.

I agree, but I would not be surprised if they both decline any reasonable offers.
I bet burks wants to start (his agent has in fact said that) and kanter probably wants to be play more as well

I agree, but I would not be surprised if they both decline any reasonable offers.
I bet burks wants to start (his agent has in fact said that) and kanter probably wants to be play more as well

I see them being a little hesitant as well, which is even more reason to be upset that the core 5 lineup has only logged 34 minutes together so far.

Some of the greatest PF's of our time can't play defense: Griffin, Love, Dirk, Boozer, even Malone wasn't great man-to-man.

Point is, should Kanter's fate be forever relegated to the bench because of his defense? All of those mentioned above have played on teams that compensated for their weakness.

Two former Jazz bigs (Boozer, and Jefferson) were blamed for our teams horrible defenses, but then went on to play for teams that end up being ranked some of the best in the league defensively. Our coaches should look at how Charlotte has hidden Jefferson (I haven't watched enough of them to know), or how the Bulls have managed Boozer (they did it by helping the helper).

Furthermore, it's not like Marvin can defend the PF, so that means Kanter is benched for the 3 pt shot he's not allowed to take. ?!?!

The handling of Kanter/inability to build a good defense with him in the lineup should be enough not to continue with Corbin.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];774920 said:
Let me put it another way:
Who got first round picks at the deadline this year?
Again, a different scenario. This is considered a very deep draft. Even at the back end teams did not want to give up late 1sts who could still be quality rotation players on rookie salaries. Maybe I'm not understanding your argument. I think a team outside the top-3 (or 5) depending on how guys like Exum grade out, might be willing to trade the rights to their 6-10 pick in a sign-and-trade deal for Hayward this summer whereas they wouldn't have been at the deadline. There's always hope by a lottery team to get in the top-3. And Utah would never be willing to deal Gordon for anything less than a lottery pick (and other assets). Teams know Utah is going to match almost any deal for Hayward. Sure, they could step up and significantly overpay and maybe give Utah pause to not match. But that type of contract then hurts the acquiring team. So they get Hayward at a reasonable price and trade away their "non-franchise" pick and other assets in the process.

I do blame Ty for not playing Kanter and Favors together more, and for allowing people to scapegoat Kanter, and for doing it himself. Kanter offers enough to this team that he is deserving of the starting role alongside Favors. It is Ty's job to develop a system that makes it work together instead of always bitching about how it doesn't magically fall into place. Be a coach Corbin!

Everyone keeps saying Corbin needs to do this better or improve on that more, but it's not going to happen. He's a bad coach at best and we need to get rid of him.