What's new

Kendall Marshall - Our next PG Hope

The Midnight

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
As our persistent issue at PG continues, it's time to seriously look at our PG options going forward. Harris is not a long term solution. Earl is good only as a backup and surveying the NBA landscape you'll soon realise that there is nobody decent available (we can dream about Curry, Rondo, etc, but can we seriously get them?).

I propose we look to the future and the best PG prospect in this year's draft according to DraftExpress.com is Kendall Marshall.

Traditional pass-first PG ala Stockton (avg. 9.6 assists this year) that will really help our future bigs, Favors and & Kanter develop (can you imagine all the dunking?). Put him next to Burks and you'll turn Burks into an "And-One/foul shooting machine". Decent defense. Seems to play with good composure and pace. Got length.

We don't need a super star at the PG. We need someone who knows every pass in the book feeding our bigs and plays with a cool head, controlling the pace & the game. OK he's not a shooter, but if Hornacek can train him to shoot an occasional 3pt I can see him fitting very well in our team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BfxpE16Ww&feature=related

Marshall will only be a good pick up if we fix our perimeter shooting. His poor outside shooting, to go along with our other non-shooters ... and his lack of explosiveness, will be an offense killer. Get him AND Miller and that makes it a bit better.

I like the idea of a Rivers and Miller draft. Both big, both dynamic, both are major outside shooting threats.

I'm just scared of getting a PG that can't shoot...but wow,

These passes are stunning:
0:21, 0:35, 1:14, 1:20 (that seemed lucky), 1:34, 1:51, 2:05, 2:52

It's not that he just passes, it's that he makes a pass telling you where to go (see 1:51 for instance).

Marshall will only be a good pick up if we fix our perimeter shooting. His poor outside shooting, to go along with our other non-shooters ... and his lack of explosiveness, will be an offense killer. Get him AND Miller and that makes it a bit better.

I like the idea of a Rivers and Miller draft. Both big, both dynamic, both are major outside shooting threats.

Marshall & Miller seems a good pairing for me.

Don't like the idea of Rivers running our offense though. May be he's a good fit in Golden State but not Utah.

Would rather get Jeremy Lamb.

I'm selling JLamb stock. He had two brief periods over two seasons that he went on a nice shooting run. He's went ice cold 2nd half of both of those seasons. He's shooting about 32% from the perimeter in the 2nd half of this season ... as opposed 43% for QMiller, for example.

At this point, I'd go with a Miller/Rivers draft. Rivers may not be the sort of player who makes his players better RIGHT NOW, but I think he could get there. I've seen a major increase in his willingness to pass from high school to college.

When looking at Rivers and Marshall, one has questions about essentially everything but his ability to run an offense, the other has shown the ability to do everything BUT run an offense. It'll be interesting to see which we pick, if it comes down to that.

No way that Marshall is taken before Rivers .. for whatever that's worth.

Rondo doing work, again. 13pts in the 1stQ.

Rondo scoring at will.. Has 27 in 22 minutes.

... but Pierce and Allen are the keys to his success .. with their combined 10pts.

Marshall would be a good pickup. I see him more of a Jason Kidd type player than Stockton. Standing at 6 foot 4, good (not great) athleticism, looks awkward shooting, can thread the needle, and knows how to get the hell out of the way (and feed it to guys who can shoot and score).

While getting a PG should be a priority... I think we also need to address our 2s and 3s. Mr. New York lotto pick is looking like a bust. Sorry Hayward lovers, but your boy just doesn't look very good. He has one good game and 3 games where he either disappears or plays noticeably horrible ball. The (only) thing he does well right now is dunk on the fast break. He does nothing else (consistently).

CJ is a waste. And Howard sucks.

Burks can get to the FT line, perhaps he develops into a Wade like playmaker (and get to the FT line a lot).

But even still, we basically have 2 positions that need to be utterly gutted, the SG and SF...

To me, I'd love for us to have a firesale this year and stock up on picks. Draft 2-3 SGs and SFs in the next 2 years and hopefully at least one of them pans out.

WE NEED SHOOTERS just as much as we need a PG.

Folks, lets remember, Dwill running this offense still looked like crap. The biggest reason? No Memo and worthless SGs/SFs=no outside shooting. Keep Burks. But trade everything else.

^^^ yet another reason to draft Rivers. He's either an awesome PG or an elite scoring/shooting SG.

While getting a PG should be a priority... I think we also need to address our 2s and 3s. Mr. New York lotto pick is looking like a bust. Sorry Hayward lovers, but your boy just doesn't look very good. He has one good game and 3 games where he either disappears or plays noticeably horrible ball. The (only) thing he does well right now is dunk on the fast break. He does nothing else (consistently).
Wow. I think Ill only address one aspect of this post.

A Bust? Really?

Tell me how many 9th overalls have proven to be allstars. Then name me 3 shooting guards, and small forwards, that came out of the 2010 draft class playing at a better level than Gordon Hayward right now. I don't understand how you can be selected to play on the rookie/sophomore game, and still be a "bust" at the same time.

^^^ yet another reason to draft Rivers. He's either an awesome PG or an elite scoring/shooting SG.

For me Rivers remind me too much of O.J. Mayo. Doesn't have the passing ability (and/or vision) to be an elite PG, but at the same time doesn't have the height or athleticism to be an elite SG neither. Too much of a combo guard IMHO.

I'd rather take Marshall (between 16-24 picks) who has a solid passing game & decent defensive ability. And try to add to that a bit more scoring. As has been mentioned already above by someone else, he reminds me a lot of Kidd. Long, solid defense & freakish passing touch/vision.

We need scorers in back court more than true PG. Our bigs are good enough to dominate when not double teamed and good scorer on perimeter warrant opposing coaches will have to pick their poison. We always can pick up Tinsley/Watson/Fisher type of PG later on.

Wow. I think Ill only address one aspect of this post.

A Bust? Really?

Tell me how many 9th overalls have proven to be allstars. Then name me 3 shooting guards, and small forwards, that came out of the 2010 draft class playing at a better level than Gordon Hayward right now. I don't understand how you can be selected to play on the rookie/sophomore game, and still be a "bust" at the same time.

Hayward apologists can use all these excuses. They were already built in as a failsafe on draft night.

He was a lotto pick, we needed good production out of him, and we're not getting it (should have taken Paul George).

Make up whatever excuses you want. But he isn't helping us to win. He's a bust.

Time to gut the 2s and 3s of this team. Keep Burks. But get rid of everyone else.

Off you go now!

What we need are 3 picks in this draft one for miller, my first choice right now, one for rivers as our combo guard bench scorer, and one for Marshall. I could live with 3 firsts make a young team but very good in a couple years.

For those comparing Marshall to Kidd .. please explain. Please include speed and shooting in the analysis and not just passing.

Hayward apologists can use all these excuses. They were already built in as a failsafe on draft night.

He was a lotto pick, we needed good production out of him, and we're not getting it (should have taken Paul George).

Make up whatever excuses you want. But he isn't helping us to win. He's a bust.

Time to gut the 2s and 3s of this team. Keep Burks. But get rid of everyone else.

Off you go now!

I am having an incredibly difficult time taking this post seriously.