What's new

Kentucky coach John Calipari discusses Turkish center Enes Kanter.

The Midnight

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
Former Wildcats Brandon Knight and Kanter possibly being drafted by the Jazz with the No. 3 overall pick: What I'm hoping is — here's what I'll tell you about Enes. Enes is the right size. He just turned 19 years old, like 11 days ago, where everybody tried to make him out to be that he was a 21-year-old, 25-year-old vet, so that he wouldn't play for us — which wasn't true. He was my youngest player — did you hear what I just said? — the youngest player on my team. I had six freshman; he was the youngest player on my team. What I'm saying to you is, he has true size. The league is getting smaller, OK? The threes are smaller. The fours are smaller. But he's not going to get smaller. Which means a guy like him, he can dominate his position, because he's the real size and he's physical, he's got a skill level and he's a wonderful kid. Someone's going to pass on him, and they're going to say, 'Oh, my gosh. What did we do?' And they're not going to say it right away. But they're going to look back and they're going to say, 'This kid rebounds with our league. He has the right size — he's not undersized for our league. He's big.' I mean, how many times is there a guy in the draft at his size, [with a good touch] and he's young — he's 19. He's an intelligent kid. His dad's a college professor; his dad was a college professor. The reason he didn't play college basketball is the club gave his dad money to put him in private school, because he did not want him in the club school. The dad then used that money for private school, and the NCAA said, 'Well, if the club paid for it directly, it's fine. If they gave you the money and you paid, he will never play college basketball again.' That's why he did not play, simply. So, I'm saying to you if he had played for us, he would be the No. 1 pick in the draft. There's no question. … I was with him the whole year. Here's a kid that could've tanked it. He continued to go to school. He finished the term academically, even when he heard that they weren't going to let him ever play college basketball. Can you imagine that? Ever. And he still stayed in school and was loyal and did the things. … It ends up being a great story. And I'll say it again: If it were me picking, I'm taking him No. 1. Because I was with him all year. No disrespect to the guard from Duke. The kid from Arizona: no disrespect. They're good. But this kid is the right size at this position at that age. And he's another one that would fit into what — the success Utah has had, in my opinion, has always been about the type of team they built and the type of people, and that's what it's been. And that's why the city … has taken to the team — it's their team. 'It's the kind of guys we want to cheer for.' Both, either one — if they got either one of those guys, they're starting to be what they want to be.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/51996422-62/kid-size-college-team.html.csp

I don't know what his intentions are...

But I agree with him - I'd take him #1 as well.

It just so happens that he didn't play last year and teams are getting scared.

He's a steal at #3 in this year's draft.

Note: Yes - this is the daily Kanter thread - live with it there's only 9 days left until the draft, LOL.

Kinda makes you feel a little less anxious knowing that there are 3 solid picks and we're getting one of them.

I agree JohnnyClutch. I do believe we're in a good position in this draft, especially at the 3 spot. Calipari may have some sort of agenda here, but I actually believe what he's saying. I do believe he's worthy of a #1 pick and will contribute significantly to whatever team he goes to in his first year.

We should take this as gospel because Calipari is an "unbiased" observer and has never been know to stretch the truth. It isn't in Calipari best interest to promote Kanter the best he can.

That said Kanter has talent. But if he was in a draft with Cousins and Favors he would certainly be behind them. He has good physical tools, good touch and some good offensive skills. He has huge question marks on his defensive awareness, defensive ability and shotblocking ability. I still think that he going to be the Turkish Boozer. If he can avoid injuries like Boozer has had he is a valuable player. But I would rather go in a different direction.

Then explain why he didn't say Knight should be the number one pick, if he is just b.sing us? Knight was his player too. Or say either one is worthy of the number one pick?

I am impressed by coach Cal’s endorsement. His endorsement for Knight is equally impressive. He basically says Kanter is as good as or better than Malone and Knight is better than Stockton. The only question is: do we believe what coach Cal says or do we look what the guys have actually done and make our own conclusion? After all, Kanter was Cal’s player and then coach, when NCAA prohibited him to play due to idiotic regulation. Cal convinced Kanter to come to Kentucky, and couldn’t get him to play on the team. Knight was also Cal’s player. It is pretty apparent Cal is extremely partial here giving high accolades. Not to mention that he could flat out be wrong, especially in the case of Kanter, who hasn’t player a game and practiced very little with the team throughout the year. After all, even Sloan was way off in assessing Mo Williams and Wes potential, in spite of these guys playing a whole year for him, causing us to decline to match and lose excellent players. So, I am just not sure whether to believe Cal here. If you do believe him though, sounds like both Kanter and Knight are sure HOF material, and should go 1-2 in this draft, making this (with Irving and Williams at 3 and 4) one of the best drafts in the NBA history, not the weakest one as most are talking about. Either that or Cal is just pimping his guys.

Then explain why he didn't say Knight should be the number one pick, if he is just b.sing us? Knight was his player too. Or say either one is worthy of the number one pick?
Everyone has seen Knight play against NCAA competition. Consider the clout this would build for Callipari and UK if Kanter is drafted in the top 2. If you were a recruit and he showed up with the line "Enes Kanter didn't even step on the court for UK, but he was still the #1/2 pick in the NBA draft", wouldn't you be impressed? The higher Kanter is drafted, the better the chance he doesn't live up to his draft position, the better that line becomes. This is worthless **** as far as I'm concerned.

Man, a player with Kanter's size and touch is so tempting, but his defense looked atrocious in the Givony high school videos. I'm torn, honestly, because I hated watching uninspired and just plain bad defense for so many years with Booze and Okur, but if this guy can be a dominant shot maker, then just take him. No matter who they take, hopefully, Ty Corbin can teach and demand excellence from everyone on the defensive end.

Man, a player with Kanter's size and touch is so tempting, but his defense looked atrocious in the Givony high school videos.

I have many concerns about Kanter myself, but defense played (or not played) in high school is not one of them.

I for one am shocked that the Kentucky coach wouldn't endorse a Duke or Arizona guy over a guy he recruited and that had committed to UK.

The ONLY thing worth a damn in this entire blathering ramble is how he compares two of his own and apparently has Kanter ahead of Knight on his board. And even taking THAT into consideration is something you have to take with a grain of salt (per GVC's sentiments, which are valid especially given Calipari's deserved reputation).

After seeing how Calipari talks, I'm in the mood for some James Joyce.

Enes Kanter is the scariest player who will probably be available for the Jazz since Kevin McHale. I have been a Knight supporter all along, but I go back to the old NBA saying that if you're going to make a draft mistake, make a big mistake. They should take Kanter.

After all, even Sloan was way off in assessing Mo Williams and Wes potential, in spite of these guys playing a whole year for him, causing us to decline to match and lose excellent players. So, I am just not sure whether to believe Cal here.
I'm pretty sure Sloan and the Jazz wanted to keep both but it came down to $$$, on top of it while Sloan had influence it is KOC's job with the money made available by Miller's. So I know that didn't have anything to do with the draft just thought I'd share my opinion on what happened regarding the example you used.

I'm pretty sure Sloan and the Jazz wanted to keep both but it came down to $$$, on top of it while Sloan had influence it is KOC's job with the money made available by Miller's. So I know that didn't have anything to do with the draft just thought I'd share my opinion on what happened regarding the example you used.
I think with Mo it came down to minutes available, since the Jazz already had two burgeoning stars at the one: Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez.

I think with Mo it came down to minutes available, since the Jazz already had two burgeoning stars at the one: Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez.

I guess that is true as well and more of a factor but I was thinking since they signed Arroyo in 2004 (coming off his Olympic performance and the 42-40 season) the Jazz re-signed him for $16 million over four years so they didn't want to tie up more money in PG's.