What's new

Kevin Pelton (ESPN) on Jazz

Alas, you are both wrong, and so is the dictionary in this case. The very fact that we can and do separate the word from the rest of the sentence with a comma, as well as that it's used to change the tone of a sentence, not a word, means that alas is neither adverb nor "connector" (conjunction?), but is an interjection.

Thank God we got One Brow to straighten out those hacks at Cambridge University. OK lm done with this.

Yes you can...you can skim through it and stop anytime you want.

I don't understand negative post like yours. You can simply say...i find it boring but thanks.

Some people like to read transcripts of chats to see if there is something cool about their team. That can be a hassle. If someone takes the time to help others and save some of their time, the least you can do is not be an a**.

Sometimes its nice to see if it's worth reading by other people's opinion. If I see a big article and comments that say "good read" I will take the time. If people comment that it isn't that good, I might not read it.

Thank God we got One Brow to straighten out those hacks at Cambridge University. OK lm done with this.

You're impressed by authority, not reason. Fine by me.

On the one side we have candrew and Cambridge.

On the other side there's me, Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, American Heritage, FreeDictionary, and MacMillan (I didn't look further).

Is that enough authority for you?

Yes, specifically your lack thereof.

How typical you ended with a pointless diminutive. Double points for failing to acknowledge that, despite my lack of authority, I was actually correct in my analysis. If you were trying to show that you were petty and unconcerned with truth, you did a splendid job.

Oh One Brow.....

Alas, you are both wrong, and so is the dictionary in this case. The very fact that we can and do separate the word from the rest of the sentence with a comma, as well as that it's used to change the tone of a sentence, not a word, means that alas is neither adverb nor "connector" (conjunction?), but is an interjection.

My posts are all tongue-in-cheek and I conceded to candrew's point with my "touche" and my facetious counterargument. So first, I tip my hat to candrew, for his accurate correction of my earlier post and his respectful and cogent arguments.

One Brow, on the other hand (perhaps in jest?) has gone off the deep end by claiming that alas is neither adverb nor conjunction, because it can be separated with a comma.

You can find similar explanations all over the web from reputable sources, here is one that sums it up nicely:

"Sentence connectors join whole statements in clause or sentence form. Because some of these relationship words have adverbial forms (obviously, naturally, unfortunately), they are sometimes called conjunctive adverbs. The most common sentence connectors are therefore, however, consequently, thus, then, in fact, moreover, nevertheless, so, in addition, meanwhile."

https://www.zaneeducation.com/education/literary-arts/sentence-connectors-and-interjection.php

Also, https://www.writingcentre.uottawa.ca/hypergrammar/adverbs.html

Moreover, the notion that an adverb can only change the tone of a word and not the tone of a sentence is pure comedy.

Wikipedia gets this one right: "An adverb is a word that changes or qualifies the meaning of a verb, adjective, other adverb, clause, sentence or any other word or phrase...."

Last edited:
Tyranny of the 'or'

You're impressed by authority, not reason. Fine by me.

On the one side we have candrew and Cambridge.

On the other side there's me, Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, American Heritage, FreeDictionary, and MacMillan (I didn't look further).

Is that enough authority for you?

English is full of words that fall into multiple parts of speech.

Alas can be used as a connector, as was done in the original Jazzfanz quote. It can also be used as an interjection, as in "Alas, he is already dead"

From OneBrow's source, Dictionary.com

"alas (əˈlæs)

— sentence connector
1. unfortunately; regrettably: there were, alas, none left"

charles-barkley-demotivational-poster-1218011213.jpg

Attachments

• charles-barkley-demotivational-poster-1218011213.jpg
    charles-barkley-demotivational-poster-1218011213.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 7
"Sentence connectors join whole statements in clause or sentence form.

Sentence connectors are conjunctions, they link two sentences together in some way that gives more meaning to the sentences as a unit than either possesses on its own.

therefore, consequently, thus, then, so -- the second is a result of the first
however, nevertheless -- the second is in some fashion opposed to the first
in fact, moreover, in addition -- the second in some way supports or reinforces the first
meanwhile -- the second is generally simultaneous with the first

By contrast, there is no such definition for "alas", it only changes the meaning of one sentence/clause. Much like "hooray", "dang", etc., it expresses an emotional response to the sentence it affects. That's an interjection.

If you really want to claim it's a sentence connector, offer an example of two sentences connected by "alas", and how it speaks tot he relationship of these sentences with each other.

From OneBrow's source, Dictionary.com

"alas (əˈlæs)

— sentence connector

Did you really think I would not go back to it and link the page?

https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alas

alas  
Use Alas in a sentence

a·las [uh-las, uh-lahs]
interjection
(used as an exclamation to express sorrow, grief, pity, concern, or apprehension of evil.)

Who were you trying to kid? Is this just trolling, and you don't care that what you are saying is completely false?

1. unfortunately; regrettably: there were, alas, none left"

What connection does "alas" form in that sentence, which is not present in "There were none left". For that matter, how does the meaning of the sentence differ from "alas, there were none left". An adverb changes emphasis by it's position, and connectives need to reflect their position in the sentence, "alas" is immune to these effects.