What's new

Knicks want to play the FA game again....and again....

calijazz

Winner of the 2011 Jazzfanz mock draft contest
The Knicks believe they will have the cap space to sign possible free agents Carmelo Anthony in 2011 or Chris Paul in 2012.

New York's insistence on no more than two guaranteed years for point guard Raymond Felton has given them the cap-space flexibility to offer one maximum contract for 2011 and another one for 2012, Knicks president Donnie Walsh told The New Post on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_...ave_cap_space_for_carmelo_paul/#ixzz0tOQ3VE5E

2010 worked out so well for them, they figured that they should mortgage their franchise for 2 more seasons hoping to land a free agent that probably won't come. How pathetic...they need a dose of reality.

Normally I would be against a move like this, but really what choice do they have? They were able to sign Amare and nobody else. They also don't have a 1st rounder this year either, right?

Normally I would be against a move like this, but really what choice do they have? They were able to sign Amare and nobody else. They also don't have a 1st rounder this year either, right?

Their choice is stop acting like they really have a chance at these premier FA's while having a 30 win roster. They will need to be significantly better than they are now to get any of them. Saving cap room isn't going to help them get better, it's just a disillusion.

2010 worked out so well for them, they figured that they should mortgage their franchise for 2 more seasons hoping to land a free agent that probably won't come. How pathetic...they need a dose of reality.

What's the alternative? To go after overpriced role players like Kyle Korver? Give me a break. They're being very financially smart about this.

What's the alternative? To go after overpriced role players like Kyle Korver? Give me a break. They're being very financially smart about this.

If they building their team around the off-chance Melo or CP3 want to come there, that would irresponsible. Especially considering the failure of that plan this offseason. If they are building a respectable team (and that doesn't mean they have to be overpriced FA's) and they happen to have some cap space to play with, that's fine. But mortgaging more years of a franchise based on false hope (again), is not smart.

If they building their team around the off-chance Melo or CP3 want to come there, that would irresponsible. Especially considering the failure of that plan this offseason. If they are building a respectable team (and that doesn't mean they have to be overpriced FA's) and they happen to have some cap space to play with, that's fine. But mortgaging more years of a franchise based on false hope (again), is not smart.

It doesn't matter if they are a 30 win team. Someone will take their money just like Amare did. It could very well be Crymello. They have no other options really. They lost out on Bosh, they lost out on LeBron, and Wade. Everyone not named the Heat did. Would you rather they go out and overpay for marginal talent like they had done in the past?

It doesn't matter if they are a 30 win team. Someone will take their money just like Amare did. It could very well be Crymello. They have no other options really. They lost out on Bosh, they lost out on LeBron, and Wade. Everyone not named the Heat did. Would you rather they go out and overpay for marginal talent like they had done in the past?

Yes, evidently he does.

NY is finally acting in a fiscally sound manner. You can thanbk Donnie Walsh for that. Bring in Amare and Fetlon, continue to develop Gallinari and Chandler. They actually have a decent base. Nope, they won't contend and probably won;t make the playoffs. Which means, of course, that Houston will have a lottery pick. But LBJ tricked them. He had given many indications last season that he might be leaning towards NY. In the end, Miami intervened with a better plan (and no state tax). I don't blame LBJ.And the Knicks are absolutely doing the right thing. Keep the young talent you have. Only offer big bucks if you're getting an all-star caliver player. Walsh is good GM.

Yes, evidently he does.

Where did I say they should go out and overpay role players? If there's nobody on the market that they should pay for, then don't. I said they shouldn't be rebuilding their franchise around the false hope of landing a super star. If it happens that they have cap room in the process of building a respectable team, great. But they shouldn't be stripping down their roster again and again on a false premise. That already set them back several seasons. If there is an opportunity to make their team better now (trades, FA, whatever), they should take it, even if it means less cap room in the future. Future off-seasons aren't stockpiled with superstars like 2010 was. They miss out on Melo and CP3, then what? Save cap room for 2014 when LeBron and company might be a FA's again? As you said, give me a break.

BTW, indications are Melo is signing an extension with Denver...