What's new

knowing **** from shinola - and other colloquialisms

the military has given us some of the best...

my favorite is SNAFU - - Up until I was in my 30's (about 5 years ago... LOL), I thought it was just a word and had no idea it was an acronym for Situation Normal All ****ed (Fouled) Up

Right along with SNAFU you have FUBAR, ****ed up beyond all repair.

shoo-in
noun
noun: shoo-in; plural noun: shoo-ins
a person or thing that is certain to succeed, especially someone who is certain to win a competition.
"he was a shoo-in for re-election"
Origin
1930s: from the earlier use of the term denoting the winner of a rigged horse race.

Modern NBA usage: The Cav's are a "shoo in" to reach the Finals since they have the refs in there pockets!"

shoo-in
noun
noun: shoo-in; plural noun: shoo-ins
a person or thing that is certain to succeed, especially someone who is certain to win a competition.
"he was a shoo-in for re-election"
Origin
1930s: from the earlier use of the term denoting the winner of a rigged horse race.

Modern NBA usage: The Cav's are a "shoo in" to reach the Finals since they have the refs in there pockets!"

I thought it would be "shoe-in" but that's an alternative that evokes the days of door-to-door salesmen who would stick their foot in the door to keep it open while they tried to make a sale.

But CJ you're correct - it's more commonly "shoo-in" and it's from the practice of waving (or "shooing") the leading horse across the finish line in a race that was most likely fixed

Continuing with the horse racing theme (hey, we actually have a chance for a triple crown winner so why not keep this going?) phrases like "by a nose" or "nosed out" refer to a very close horse race because the nose of the horse is generally the first part of its body to cross the finish line

Similarly with the expression "neck and neck"

OT: (this sounds better with a wildly southern accent)

Be careful on them icy roads, it's slicker than a minnow's (pronounced "minnuhs") dick out there.

OT: (this sounds better with a wildly southern accent)

Be careful on them icy roads, it's slicker than a minnow's (pronounced "minnuhs") dick out there.

Didn't even know they got icy roads in da south. I s'pose it's humid there, and it probably dips below the freezing point every now and then.

Didn't even know they got icy roads in da south. I s'pose it's humid there, and it probably dips below the freezing point every now and then.

Really? Yeah.. it ices all the way to southern Georgia and even down to Orlando on occasion.

Where I grew up, it snows about every other year, and it only took a skiff to close the schools and declare the day a holiday. . . . and for fifteen cars to slide of the road somehow. . . .

Where I grew up, it snows about every other year, and it only took a skiff to close the schools and declare the day a holiday. . . . and for fifteen cars to slide of the road somehow. . . .

It's really not a mystery.

Anyone know the origin of this phrase?

**** you, you mother****ing **** sucking sonofabitch!!

For the record, if you put the word for rooster and the word for sucking, you know, um, sucking, together then it isn't caught by the filter. Yikes.

sticking with the sports related colloquialisms for a bit:

• par for the course - (golf) average or typical, about what you'd expect
  • withing striking distance - (bowling) within 10 points (also related to an "arm's length" or close enough to hit with your arm)
  • hit it out of the ballpark - (baseball)very successful, exceeding expectations; sort of the opposite of "par for the course"
  • saved by the bell - (boxing) to be interrupted and rescued just before something unfortunate was about to happen
  • in the homestretch - (horse racing, again!) the final phase of a project

sticking with the sports related colloquialisms for a bit:

• par for the course - (golf) average or typical, about what you'd expect
  • withing striking distance - (bowling) within 10 points (also related to an "arm's length" or close enough to hit with your arm)
  • hit it out of the ballpark - (baseball)very successful, exceeding expectations; sort of the opposite of "par for the course"
  • saved by the bell - (boxing) to be interrupted and rescued just before something unfortunate was about to happen
  • in the homestretch - (horse racing, again!) the final phase of a project

"Fourth Down, Ten to Go, What would you do?" = Punt

Once upon a time, this was code for "weren't not getting anywhere, let's go." Back then, LDS missionaries had to memorize "discussions" and were supposed to follow them word for word, eliciting the "right" responses from "investigators". The First Discussion. . . . . hilariously. . . . listed the "investigator" as "Mr. Brown". SRS. This was the Philippines, folks. The people spoke English, and we were required, then, to teach in English, because these were the "leaders" we would seek out to build the Church first. SRS. They spoke pidgin English, a blend of Filipino dialects, Spanish, and English, and they could hardly understand those "Discussions", I always broke it down to their pidgin expressions. . . .I couldn't memorize anything. . . . But even so, a lot of folks just wouldn't come across with the "right" answers our leading questions were supposed to elicit.

I had a companion who used that sports idiom on me a lot. . . . . He had no patience. And yes, that First Discussion had fourteen points, and he would invoke that expression on the fourth one.

oh my, this thread is getting out of hand...

And do you know why? It's all those damn horses, that's what.

Because "getting out of hand" is another horse related expression. It means that you're losing control, sort of like what happens when the reins for the horse slip out of your hands - - it's tough to control the horses if you're not holding the reins!

I don't have a horse in this race

this is rich!!!

just found this on a list of most commonly misspelled words

bellwether - Often misspelled "bellweather." A wether is a gelded ram, chosen to lead the herd (thus his bell) due to the greater likelihood that he will remain at all times ahead of the ewes.

Bluff: A term commonly used in poker to indicate when a player plays a weak hand as though it is strong.

Of Dutch origin, originally bluffen, which means to "brag."

Bluff: A term commonly used in poker to indicate when a player plays a weak hand as though it is strong.

Of Dutch origin, originally bluffen, which means to "brag."

well I was all set to call your bluff on this, but I see you're right!

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bluff

Etymology 1

From Dutch bluffen (“brag”) or bluf (“bragging”).
Noun

bluff (plural bluffs)

An act of bluffing; a false expression of the strength of one's position in order to intimidate; braggadocio.

That is only bluff, or a bluff.

and here I thought you were just making fun of our resident Dutchman's repeated threats to leave us

<3

XOXO