What's new

KOC Interview on 1280

Mr. McGibblets

**EDIT - the Jazz beat writers for Trib and DesNews also tweeted a lot of his quotes more accurately than I did here: https://twitter.com/tribjazz https://twitter.com/DJJazzyJody **

Here are some quick takeaways -

He wasn't sure they'd be able to get Burke at first. Didn't think they'd have a shot at the beginning of the night. Jazz tried trading up to 6, 7, and 8 to get Burke, but they weren't interested (Can't remember if he said 5). Then finally Minnesota was interested at 9.

Happy for Korver going to NJ. He's a good guy and Billy Beane drafted him in Philly and liked Korver then obviously.

Trying to get Gobert over for this season, but still a lot of paperwork to be done with his team, FIBA clearance, and then contract. Working to get him in time for a few summer league games.

https://www.1280thezone.com/

Last edited:
Its on now.

Other quotes:

If you feel sad, 'cause your credit is bad....

Leaky Roof?

Hop in and let it slide, step on the throttle and let it ride....

No Comment.

Reasonable expectations for Gobert - "we'll see" once he gets to summer league, but they love how hard he works and how he wants to get better.

Was surprised about ability to buy their way into the first round. Dennis took the lead and they talked to every team in the league about buying a first round pick and Denver was main ones interested. They had a full team and didn't feel like they needed another pick ("whether they [Denver] wanted cash or needed cash or whatever"). League limits amount teams can use to buy picks per transaction and total per year and the Jazz hadn't used any yet so they were able to use the full amount to get the Denver pick.

Lindsey's relationship with Danny Ferry helped. Jazz were aware Atlanta had 3 bunched second round picks and probably didn't want to use them all. Jazz knew they [Utah] had Brooklyn's 2015 2nd rounder and so they used that to get the 2nd rounder.

They're not sure when Neto will get here, but were impressed when they saw him play against other ex-NBA players (in his league or tourny, I'm not sure). Was impressive in a Euro camp thing (can't remember which) and thought he was the best PG there.

Areas of need they are looking at in FA: Jazz are looking for length at the rim, but they went out and got Gobert and Marvin gives them that too. He does think they still need another big guy though.

Corbin was very involved on draft night. Studied film on players. Jazz went to him regarding his thoughts on making the deal for Burke and Corbin was thrilled - was a big Burke fan.

Discussing fine line of talking to free agents who require more to come to SLC:

"Do we have to overpay for them to come to SLC? Well if you overpay 2-3x then you're stuck with a team that won't succeed." Will overpay once or twice to help a team. Can overpay, but don't give a guy too many years. Can really pull you down. Have to sit on your hands a little bit the first time around (first 5-6 days). Guys signing deals during this window usually favor the player not the teams.

Doesn't think moves will suddenly pick up once Howard signs. He's only expressed interest in a few teams so others aren't really waiting. (Scotty G is retarded and kept asking follow ups on this line of questioning). KOC isn't really sure Howard's deal will alter much beyond the team that actually signs him because Howards only interested in a couple teams.

Would KOC be interested in bringing back ex-Jazz men? "No Comment." lol.

They want another big and someone with length. Robin Lopez?

I heard the Jazz like him, must be the timid twin thing. The Pelicets are supposed to be considering shipping him out to make room for Tyreke.
2 yrs 5 million each non gauranteed contract. They can just cut him so the jazz would probably have to pay something.

I heard the Jazz like him, must be the timid twin thing. The Pelicets are supposed to be considering shipping him out to make room for Tyreke.
2 yrs 5 million each non gauranteed contract. They can just cut him so the jazz would probably have to pay something.

Ya, I think they've always liked him. Especially coming out of college. I'm pretty sure he was at the Jazz' pre-draft workout.