What's new

KOC interview with the Trib-9/15

interview: O'connor discusses jazz's offseason, future — part i
published on sep 15, 2010 01:28pm 0 comments
transcript of an interview with utah jazz general manager kevin o'connor conducted wednesday at the team's practice facility.

O'connor on where the team is at after a hectic summer, and with less than two weeks remaining before training camp for the 2010-11 season:

I'll let the court of public opinion evaluate it. The biggest thing is how it'll translate into wins and losses. That's really the only thing that your report card is judged on. Obviously, adding al jefferson is a big key. We lost some good players, and i think we got some good players coming into replace them. Now, how that translates into team efficiency, playing in close games and playing on the road, we don't know yet. But i don't the cupboard's bare. And the miller family stepped up to the plate, obviously, and spent the money to put us in a situation where we can keep some continuity for a team that's got a good core.

On the jazz's realistic ability to compete with teams such as the los angeles lakers and miami heat:

Nobody's been able to compete with the lakers over the last three years in the [western conference]. We've gotten beaten by them the last three years [in the playoffs], and everybody else has. It's not just us. We just have happened to see them earlier in the schedule than we wanted to. In the last four years i think when we've been in the playoffs, we've gotten beat by the world champions three times and by the runner up once. We've also won three away series — give coach [jerry sloan] credit. Last year, i don't think anybody in the league would have given us a [chance] once [mehmet] okur went down. Especially after having him and [andrei] kirilenko out; we lose the first game over in denver, then win in six. And i think that's a credit to deron williams and a credit to our coaching staff; we were able to do that. How do we overcome the lakers? We keep trying to get better. And we keep trying to get better from within. And that's one of the things that i don't think people understand. I expect paul millsap to be a better player this year. He's 26. I expect deron to be better. I expect c.j. [miles] to be better. I expect fesenko to be better. I hope andrei can play the way he played before he got hurt. And if he does that and we add those other pieces, then we can be pretty good. All indications are the guy's had a good summer, so we'll wait and see.

On kirilenko's future with the team and his $17.8 million expiring contract:

I think the key thing is, andrei's got to play this year. He's got to worry about his contract mentally. And we all understand that, and that's part of it. If he plays well, it helps us, it helps him. We don't talk to andrei about his contract. But andrei's a key for us. And he's a big key. I think we went 20-4 at one point last season when he was playing very well. And he's been hurt the last two years. He's a key. We expect andrei to have a big season for us. ... He's on our team. If we can improve our team — and i've said this from day one — if we can improve our team, we'll look at doing that. But we're not looking to make any moves.

On the jazz now being williams' team after carlos boozer's departure:

I think it's [owner] greg miller's team. I think greg miller owns the team. I think deron's leadership skills have improved and will continue to improve. He's now quote, unquote a 'young veteran' that's accomplished an awful lot in his six years that he's been in the league. And we expect more from him.

On filling out open roster spots during training camp:

When you have roster spots, guys are interested in them when you don't have guaranteed contracts. I think we would have the opportunity to give players a chance to compete. This week and next week are kind of the weeks that you can fill that out a little bit. We've got some young players that we'll take a look at.

— brian t. Smith

interview: O'connor discusses jazz's offseason, future — part ii
published on sep 15, 2010 01:33pm 0 comments
part two of a transcript of an interview with utah jazz general manager kevin o'connor conducted wednesday at the team's practice facility.

On fesenko's future with the team:

It's his decision. Because he's got a contract — a qualifying offer which he has yet to accept. When he makes that decision — if he makes the decision to accept it — then he's back on the team. And i think the franchise has had patience with big players, and especially with him. He's going into his fourth year, and this could be a productive year for him. He also knows that if he signs the qualifying offer he can be an unrestricted free agent [in 2011-12], and how does this play out for him? But you always take risks, and you always have more patience with big players than you do with little players.

On the addition of raja bell and what he can bring to the team if he stays healthy:

Well, you know, one of the things that's interesting — if he stays healthy — he missed a lot of last year, but he missed it with a wrist [injury] and surgery on the wrist. It's not like he's got a history of injuries. He wasn't injured when he was here. He wasn't injured in phoenix. So, his history tells you that he hasn't been. He hasn't logged a lot of minutes in the nba, comparable to a starter. ... He's 33. He's going to be 34, but he's 33. I mean, i look at him as being, really, a productive player. If you look at him even during the beginning of last year when he was playing with charlotte, i just think what you're saying is accurate. We expect him to be really a big piece of our team.

On miles' improvement and where his game is at:

He should be [a key component] and we're expecting him to be. If you look at him and you remember; if you go back and remember this: He was really headed for a pretty good season last year, and then tore a ligament in his thumb, i think it was, is what it was. And he had to have the surgery. In training camp and before that, we were really like, 'oh, ok. He's turned a corner. Let's keep the corner turned and let's step on the gas in the straightaway.' but he hurt himself, and it was very difficult for him to get back into rhythm until the end of the season.

— brian t. Smith

twitter: Tribjazz

baaaaaaaaaa

So just as I feared, Utah isn't offering Fesenko any more than the one-year qualifying offer.

Yes, they have to pay the LT on every dollar; but Fes should get a 2- to 3-year offer for $2 million to $3 million per, if that's enough to tie Fes up for that long.

If he expects more than that, then let him quibble over the QO.

Lorn, a multi-year contract for Fes...surely you jest?

The guy is a ****ing clown, doesn't get it and never will get it.

Let me summarize what KOC said,

"Internal improvement, mumble, mumble, mumble...
Always looking to make the team better, mmm, mmmm, mmmm...
Sloan does a terrific job, yada, yada, yada....
All hail to the Millers, kept the team in Salt Lake, etc., etc. etc."

I think we've heard this same interview every year KOC has been here. But I'll cut him some slack this season. He worked his tail off to finalize the Jefferson acquistion. He didn't panic - or make the wrong decision - when Portland offered Matthews a king's ransom. And he saw Korver for what he truly is, an expensive one-trick pony.

Still, I'm worried that KOC and the Millers are stuck back in 2004, when AK was a relevant player. I think they so badly want to justify AK'st exorbitant salary that they're unwilling to trade his contract for another veteran starter. Either that, or they're talking him up because they want the fans to get behind keeping him. And next season, the Jazz will save a nice chunk of change with his salary coming off the books.