What's new

KOC: "We would have picked Favors higher than #3"

Borat

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700114359/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Jazz-brass-like-character-of-Devin-Harris-Derrick-Favors.html?pg=1

O'Connor on how high Favors, the No. 3 overall pick in 2010, was on the Jazz's draft board last summer: "No comment, but he was higher than three."

Looks like KOC may have been thinking about Favors as perhaps #1 overall, and probably still believes he was worthy of that selection. No wonder Corbin kept talking about how Favors reminds him of Howard. Did they Jazz make this trade because they thought they were actually getting a better deal than NJ (after Favors develops) and not out of what they portrayed as necessity?

I think this has been mentioned in no fewer than 3 threads, 4 counting this one. But you did bring a quote to the party, so you get one internet for that anyway. Not sure it warranted a new thread, could have just gone in the Official Favors thread.

shouldn't have used the quote and end-quote if that's not an exact quote... that's a problem with today's media as well.

"No comment, but he was higher than three."

Umm, isn't the second part actually a comment?

Favors was probably 2.
And Evan Turner 1, the next Brandon Roy alongside Deron.
If the Jazz were in a position to draft Wall, i.e. won #1, he was possibly looked at as bait to trade down to get Turner or Favors with something extra. That's my guess from what I remember around the draft last year.

I told you.....

Easily the biggest pick-up in franchise history since Hornacek.

Maybe ever.

I told you.....

Easily the biggest pick-up in franchise history since Hornacek.

Maybe ever.

Actually the jury is still out on this one. I do think that Favors has shown tremendous potential and has actually developed some just in the short time he has been with us. But it is still a ways away from being dubbed a top pickup for us, let alone the best in franchise history.

Favors personality seems a little to laid back or shy, if he had Dwight Howards aggression NJ would not have traded him.

Favors personality seems a little to laid back or shy, if he had Dwight Howards aggression NJ would not have traded him.

His attitude had nothing to do with NJ trading him. It had everything to do with their Russian owner, his ego, and his insatiable need to make a big "splash" so he and his team could be the top story on ESPN for a milisecond.

IMO this was a perfect storm that led to New Jersey trading away a player they never should have even considered getting rid of. I think Favors has a bigger upside than D-Will did when he first arrived in Utah. Just my guess, but I think 3 years from now you probably won't find a GM in the NBA who would trade Favors for D-Will straight up.

His attitude had nothing to do with NJ trading him. It had everything to do with their Russian owner, his ego, and his insatiable need to make a big "splash" so he and his team could be the top story on ESPN for a milisecond.

IMO this was a perfect storm that led to New Jersey trading away a player they never should have even considered getting rid of. I think Favors has a bigger upside than D-Will did when he first arrived in Utah. Just my guess, but I think 3 years from now you probably won't find a GM in the NBA who would trade Favors for D-Will straight up.
Could make the same statement about Dwill/Jazz. (maybe not the ESPN part)

Nobody in the NBA would have guessed the Jazz would trade Dwill. It shocked everyone!

The idea had been tossed around at JazzFanz, so...that means....JAZZFANZ WIN THE NBA!!

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah ................

A skilled big should always be valued over a skilled backcourt player, as they are a much rarer commodity. However, I do believe if Williams had committed, even verbally, to staying in Utah, this trade would not have happened...

Since when was never committing a hard foul, getting man-handled by Kendrick Perkins, being everyone's friend, and grinning ear to ear constantly "aggression"?

What's not to like about Favors? He looks to me like he coulda gone #1 easy. The only reason we got him is NJ missed out on Lebron, Carmelo, etc etc etc, and they fell victim to that old instant gratification urge of having to have a *star* NOW, rather than wait for one to develop... We get a darned good PG and a likely *star* big for down the road. Nice coup, KOC!!