What's new

KOC: "We would have picked Favors higher than #3"

The bigger question is what would he drafted at if that draft were re-done right now? Would he still be a 3? Sure, he has tremendous upside, but has he shown enough at this point to hold up that #3 status? And what about if you held it 10 years from now? We all know there have been many a bust at #1, so having him rated as #3 in the draft does not mean he will work out to be the #3 NBA talent over 10 years. Wasn't Greg Oden a #1? And Pervis Ellis? Joe Klein?

I am hopeful, but his skills are pretty limited right now and he is going to need to improve a lot to be a top player. Can he get there? Maybe. Will he get there? Maybe.

I'll bet it was:

#1 Cousins
#2 Favors
#3 My wiener

I dont know, it's hard to put MyWiener that high when he's only shooting 41% from the field and 34% from downtown. I think fans react to him because of those 3-4 facials early in the season but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and, well, he ain't done much lately accept for take it to the hole once or twice a month since. I'd personally like to see him take it to the rack with some authority more often, but thats just me.

That's not "re-draft 3rd pick" in my book.

I dont know, it's hard to put MyWiener that high when he's only shooting 41% from the field and 34% from downtown. I think fans react to him because of those 3-4 facials early in the season but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and, well, he ain't done much lately accept for take it to the hole once or twice a month since. I'd personally like to see him take it to the rack with some authority more often, but thats just me.

Gross. Post reported. It goes against all that is Utahr.

Favors was probably 2.
And Evan Turner 1, the next Brandon Roy alongside Deron.
If the Jazz were in a position to draft Wall, i.e. won #1, he was possibly looked at as bait to trade down to get Turner or Favors with something extra. That's my guess from what I remember around the draft last year.

Who knows, Wall or Turner may have been #1 on their board, but that doesn't mean they would have picked either had Utah won the draft lottery. You generally follow "BPA" but when a big is ranked fairly equal AND is a postion of need, you go with the big. There are always serviceable guards on the market you can get for the MLE or less. That isn't the case with guys who can play the 5. Even the most mediocre 5's command $10M contracts. My guess is that Turner, Wall and Favors were tightly bunched in KOC's mind, just like they were with every GM or mock draft board. But given the chance to pick 1st, I think KOC would have taken Favors. Certainly over Wall, since the Jazz already had Deron. And probably over Turner since KOC has repeatedly said the Jazz need to get bigger and more athletic to compete with LA.

A skilled big should always be valued over a skilled backcourt player, as they are a much rarer commodity. However, I do believe if Williams had committed, even verbally, to staying in Utah, this trade would not have happened...

And the trade wouldn't have happened if King/Prokhorov had been willing to part with something for AK's expiring. That was the original intent of KOC's call. I think Miller's first directive was to have KOC try to get under the luxury tax threshold. Natural assumption Prokhorov might want his comrade on the team. Then had Willaims still not verbally commited next season, they would have looked to trade him - and probably a bit more openly. This was very much a stealth deal. Hard to think you're ever going to get more than a great prospect in Favors, certain top-10 lottery pick this summer and a probable lottery pick in 2012 PLUS a very good replacement PG. Plus Williams ends up in the East, out of harm's way. So there was really no need for O'Connor to shop further. King made him an offer he couldn't refuse. If this turns out to be a franchise-defining trade (in a good way) for Utah, we all need to thank Carmelo for setting the market.

The real question is who stalked, and freaked out Harris in a Utah mall?

In the highlight of the press conference, Harris told a funny story about how a fan chased him down at a mall on his first day in Utah as a Jazz player.
"I was a little freaked out," he said, laughing, "but it was a good freaked out."

My money is on Trout or Salty.

DickExpress.com