What's new

KSLSports.com - Gobert Will Wear Equality On Back Of Jersey

B

Ben Anderson

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert will wear the word Equality on the back of his jersey the NBA resumes in Orlando. Equality was one of 28 sayings players can wear on their jerseys drug the remainder of the season at The Walt Disney World Resorts. The NBA is allowing players to display the messaging on their jerseys in place of their name to continue the conversation surrounding social injustice.

Gobert’s announcement was made on NBA on TNT Tuesday night. Yahoo Sports Chris Haynes reported the information he had received from sources.

NBA insider @ChrisBHaynes shares some of the social justice messages players will have on their jerseys throughout the NBA restart. pic.twitter.com/DHhm9rGa6e

— NBA on TNT (@NBAonTNT) July 8, 2020

Haynes reported that the NBA originally planned to allow players to wear the messages over the first four nights of the league’s return. However, the players union pushed to extend the alteration throughout the rest of the NBA season.

The list of the approved suggested social messages reportedly include the following words and phrases: Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can’t Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; and Mentor.

NBA players have used similar messaging in previous seasons. After Eric Garner was killed while in police custody, several NBA and WNBA wore shirts with the phrase “I can’t breathe.”

NBA reportedly won't fine players for wearing 'I Can't Breathe' t-shirts during warmups http://t.co/BtZbCbYXIm pic.twitter.com/9beO2YQciO

— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) December 9, 2014

The players wore the “I can’t breathe” shooting shirts without the consent of the NBA. However, players weren’t fined for their decision.

NBA Restart Plan

Gobert will debut the Equality message when the Jazz reopen the NBA season on July 30 against the New Orleans Pelicans.

The games will be played at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and no fans will be in attendance.

No NBA games have been played since the league suspended the season on March 11 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Related Links

Full story from KSLSports.com...