What's new

KSLSports.com - Utah State Star Neemias Queta Entering NBA Draft

M

Madisan Hinkhouse

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah State star Neemias Queta will forgo his senior season and enter the NBA Draft, according to ESPN.

“I’m declaring for the draft because I feel ready to take my game to the next level and fulfilling a lifelong dream of being an NBA player,” Queta told ESPN.

Forever a Aggie!!! pic.twitter.com/WQHmIlVxrO

— Quetão
1f525.png
‍♂️
(@nemi1599) March 29, 2021

“I want to thank all of you for the most amazing three years of my life,” Queta began a statement to Aggie fans posted on Twitter.

The center was a crucial part of Utah State’s 2020 Mountain West Championship and the Aggies’ 2021 NCAA Tournament appearance.

I think Neemias Queta is the best draft prospect in the state since Jakob Poeltl.

Kuzma has become a better NBA player than he was a prospect, even though he ended up as a first round pick.

He'll get drafted higher than Merrill.

Obviously a major credit to Craig Smith.

— Ben Anderson (@BensHoops) March 29, 2021

Queta’s announcement comes two days after former Utah State head coach Craig Smith was hired as the University of Utah basketball coach.

He averaged 14.9 points, 10.1 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 2 assists in his junior season, making 56% of his field-goal attempts. He was named Mountain West conference player of the year and defensive player of the year.

“Probably should have declared after his freshman season, but then made a really smart decision to pass on the draft last year after a tougher sophomore season. Great close to his junior year will probably earn him significant money,” said Utah Jazz insider and NBA Draft expert Ben Anderson.

Probably should have declared after his freshman season, but then made a really smart decision to pass on the draft last year after a tougher sophomore season.

Great close to his junior year will probably earn him significant money. https://t.co/cyUV09s14n

— Ben Anderson (@BensHoops) March 29, 2021

At the 2019 NBA Combine Queta measured a 7-foot-4 wingspan and 9-foot-3 standing reach. He stands 7 ft and weighs in at 245 pounds.

According to ESPN’s list of prospects, he ranks 76th.

“I think Neemias Queta is the best draft prospect in the state since Jakob Poeltl,” said Anderson, “He’ll get drafted higher than Merrill. Obviously a major credit to Craig Smith.”

Full story from KSLSports.com...