What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

For the Lakers' bag? Cuz the Lakers won't give the bag or cuz the Jazz would **** around for some reason?

They don't get him without sending the bag. They do if they do. Simple.

I don’t mind it at all but I just don’t think that swap really does much for them in the grand scheme of things.

Yahoo is reporting the Celtics may have an interest in Rudy Gay after the Gallo injury.

Gay’s contract actually isn’t bad at all. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team take him in a TPE for cash or a 2nd? Maybe I’m being optimistic.

Boston has a 6.9M TPE that Gay can slide right into. Send us a 2nd and call it good.
I think Boston would end up doing Gallo for Gay and they send cash and a second more likely. They are in the tax so adding Gay is an expensive proposition. Gallo also has two years left. Not sure if insurance covers his injury if we trade for him but it might be a straight money dump. We could then waive him.

If they have interest we may be able to get him to decline his player option and we waive his salary and he can go there on a minimum deal. Or maybe he just gives back like 2M each year and we buy him out.

I think Boston would end up doing Gallo for Gay and they send cash and a second more likely. They are in the tax so adding Gay is an expensive proposition. Gallo also has two years left. Not sure if insurance covers his injury if we trade for him but it might be a straight money dump. We could then waive him.

If they have interest we may be able to get him to decline his player option and we waive his salary and he can go there on a minimum deal. Or maybe he just gives back like 2M each year and we buy him out.

Gallinari can’t be traded until December 15th.

Gallinari can’t be traded until December 15th.
Yeah... forgot about that. Maybe they do the buyout then and he can sign there for the min.

The other option on our roster for them is Stanley Johnson... who I suspect gets moved into someone cap space or an exception... we can cut the roster a bit and they can give us a second.

Just dump Gay for a 2nd. I love trading into a TPE and only getting a 2nd back. Nothing else comes back to us, nada! Boston would do it because they are contenders. Money is the least of their concerns and Gays contract is two years. Plus he goes to a contender.

It also bolsters our trade offering for the Lakers because we can then take on 6 to 7 million in salary back in a trade with the Lakers. It saves them a boatload of cash.

Last edited:
Just dump Gay for a 2nd. I love trading into a TPE and only getting a 2nd back. Nothing else comes back to us, nada! Boston would do it because they are contenders. Money is the least of their concerns and Gays contract is two years. Plus he goes to a contender.

It also bolsters our trade offering for the Lakers because we can then take on 6 to 7 million in salary back in a trade with the Lakers. It saves them a boatload of cash.
We'd be incredibly lucky to not send assets and take no salary back. In other words, I doubt we get a second (unless we're also taking salary).

I think a deal could be announced today. We are in the right timeframe now. Getting it done now instead waiting over Labor Day weekend. Its weird but I think it could be pushed through because of that.
When you say today...

Gay is needed as salary filler if we are going to take on a salary dump (Westbrook). That is worth more than a second.

Looking at Lakers media/social media, it's kind of surprising (and kind of not) that many seem to think that Hield is better than Bogey and don't recognize that Beasley is kind of like 95% of Hield.

Here's a trade proposal I modified from something I saw on Twitter -- a kind of three-team trade that is like the Lakers' dream trade (from the signals they've been sending); it will allow the Lakers to get as much good talent as possible for the coming season, yet have contracts that come off the books next year to allow them to pursue Kyrie in free agency. I added the swap because I didn't think enough is coming back to the Jazz. It's based on (what I think is) the reality that Bogey and Myles Turner (the Lakers two key targets, likely) are not enough to fetch unprotected firsts by themselves (nor would the $s work out), but that together with some other stuff (such as Beasley), maybe it's enough to get the Lakers to send the farm:

Jazz in: Westbrook, Lakers 2029 unprotected first, Lakers 2028 unprotected swap
Jazz out: Bogey, Beasley, NAW, Gay

Lakers in: Bogey, Myles Turner, Beasley
Lakers out: Westbrook, Nunn, Gabriel, 2027 & 2029 unprotected firsts, 2028 unprotected swap

Pacers out: Turner
Pacers in: NAW, Gay, Nunn, Gabriel, Lakers 2027 unprotected first

Why for the Jazz: Bogey and Beasley in a non-Lakers scenario would be hard to swap for this kind of return. NAW and Gay are not positive contracts; jettisoning them is probably for the best.
Why not for the Jazz: Only if you think there are better returns in a non-Lakers scenario or if the Jazz really think they can develop NAW

Why for the Lakers: Best chance for Lebron & AD this season, given the types of signals the front office has been giving about wanting to chase Kyrie next year
Why not for the Lakers: Poof! -- no more control of their draft capital until 2030

Why for the Pacers: Finally move on from Turner; get half of the rumored Hield-Turner return in a Lakers trade for about half the cost. May find something they like among the four players coming back.
Why not for the Pacers: They may not want any of those players/salaries (though they're under the cap and it doesn't really matter) and will have waive at least 2 because they lack the roster spots

Last edited: