What's new

Lame duck head coach. Writing was on the wall from the start

We saw a lineup I don't think we ever saw, basically Kanter and scrubs, and the jazz were only down by single digits at the time and left them there most of the quarter. A coach trying to win doesn't do that.

The Line up was Garrett, Clark, Jefferson, Evans, and Kanter. So our regular unit to start the second quarter that Ty always throws out there other than Alec who had 2 fouls. So yes that line up is never used but it was only one player different from the normal lineup that plays the first part of the 2nd quarter

The Line up was Garrett, Clark, Jefferson, Evans, and Kanter. So our regular unit to start the second quarter that Ty always throws out there other than Alec who had 2 fouls. So yes that line up is never used but it was only one player different from the normal lineup that plays the first part of the 2nd quarter

Usually Ty would just put RJ or or Hayward back in, but as far as I know, I don't recall Ty ever putting Clark in due to a wing being in foul trouble in the second quarter.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Ty called out as worst coach in the NBA during spurs lakers game.

They were talking about coach of the year candidates "finishing last for the third year in a row ty corbin"

lol

They were talking about coach of the year candidates "finishing last for the third year in a row ty corbin"

lol

Awesomeness..... especially the 3rd year in a row part

lol

Are you serious? Who was doing that game? Most unusual for them to get down and dirty like that.

Hope it is true for 2 big reasons: Ty will almost certainly be gone if that is the NBA view of things. Second, we are much better than we look right now.

Are you serious? Who was doing that game? Most unusual for them to get down and dirty like that.

Hope it is true for 2 big reasons: Ty will almost certainly be gone if that is the NBA view of things. Second, we are much better than we look right now.
Pretty sure it was Bill Simmons who made that crack. But that's been the general consensus for 2+ seasons. The guy is a running joke with league pundits like Simmons and Zach Lowe. Anyone with half a frontal lobe can see that Corbin is in over his head. He really should have been tossed to the curb last season. At this late point, most observers are just bemused at the Jazz organization's stubborn, stay-the-course mentality. Consistency should never be confused with competence.

Pretty sure it was Bill Simmons who made that crack. But that's been the general consensus for 2+ seasons. The guy is a running joke with league pundits like Simmons and Zach Lowe. Anyone with half a frontal lobe can see that Corbin is in over his head. He really should have been tossed to the curb last season. At this late point, most observers are just bemused at the Jazz organization's stubborn, stay-the-course mentality. Consistency should never be confused with competence.

I don't think anyone thinks Corbin has a job due to consistency. Corbin has a job because Utah is tanking, he is a terrible coach (which helps the tank) and because you can't fire Ty last summer, get a good coach to agree to tank, and be set for the future.

Basically, if you fire Ty last summer, you are now paying two head coaches. You also have to sign the new coach to a three + year deal. What happens if you hired Horny, he didn't pan out like you hoped and then this summer you draft Parker and Coach K says coaching Parker was the best year of his life and he now wants to coach Parker in Utah?

You are now paying three coaches. So, there was no reason whatsoever to fire Ty (well, the only reason would be if you thought Horny was your future, which the Jazz didn't).

I don't think anyone thinks Corbin has a job due to consistency. Corbin has a job because Utah is tanking, he is a terrible coach (which helps the tank) and because you can't fire Ty last summer, get a good coach to agree to tank, and be set for the future.

Way back before the season began, I said Phoenix could be a surprise team because they had some solid, if not spectacular veteran players. So hire Hornacek in Utah and I don't necessarily think he has quite the success he has had with the Suns, but maybe he gets Utah to 35 wins or even a .500 record. And what does that net Utah? A pick in the 12-14 range.

While I still maintain a key reason Lindsey did not try to keep Hornacek is that Brad Jones is his "man," I also believe you are correct: Lindsey fully expected the team to underachieve. And if they hadn't? Then terrific, the core-5 would have been truly amazing and maybe Corbin would have turned into a solid coach.

Basically, if you fire Ty last summer, you are now paying two head coaches. You also have to sign the new coach to a three + year deal. What happens if you hired Horny, he didn't pan out like you hoped and then this summer you draft Parker and Coach K says coaching Parker was the best year of his life and he now wants to coach Parker in Utah?

You are now paying three coaches. So, there was no reason whatsoever to fire Ty (well, the only reason would be if you thought Horny was your future, which the Jazz didn't).
I agree with this. Well, sort of. The time to fire Corbin was TWO seasons ago, after the Raja Bell fiasco. It was pretty clear then that he didn't have what it takes to lead an NBA team anywhere.

This season has been good for the tank, yes. But I think it's also been quite bad for player development and team morale. There's a malaise hanging over this team and fan base that might be difficult to shake off. Two entire seasons of valuable player development time have, in my opinion, been largely wasted by catering to no-future vets and mismanaging lineups. Hopefully, the tank will ultimately pay off with a great player, the Jazz will hire a more effective coach, and the franchise will move on to bigger and better things. But there's really no good excuse for holding on to an ineffective coach long past his sell-by date simply because it's the "Jazz Way." That's bad business.

I agree with this. Well, sort of. The time to fire Corbin was TWO seasons ago, after the Raja Bell fiasco. It was pretty clear then that he didn't have what it takes to lead an NBA team anywhere.

This season has been good for the tank, yes. But I think it's also been quite bad for player development and team morale. There's a malaise hanging over this team and fan base that might be difficult to shake off. Two entire seasons of valuable player development time have, in my opinion, been largely wasted by catering to no-future vets and mismanaging lineups. Hopefully, the tank will ultimately pay off with a great player, the Jazz will hire a more effective coach, and the franchise will move on to bigger and better things. But there's really no good excuse for holding on to an ineffective coach long past his sell-by date simply because it's the "Jazz Way." That's bad business.

I don't think it's fair to put the blame for TY playing Sap and AL over the young guys. That blame belongs in the FO. If they wanted to develop their young guys they should have traded their vets sooner. I'm not saying that I think Ty is a good coach just that the FO bears a larger share of the responsibility in this instance.

This wasn't the whole conversation. He went on to say that "some people just weren't meant to be Head coach."(something along those lines)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FAgZb-5Ks

I don't think it's fair to put the blame for TY playing Sap and AL over the young guys.

I agree.

Ty is totally to blame for playing raja, cj, howard, foye, watson, and tinsley over burks though