What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

It's pretty crazy watching his highlights how smooth he looks, he makes you forget he is a 7-footer.

I would say he doesn't look like a 7-footer except when he dribbles. He's so tall and his arms aren't super long and so he either has to bend over really awkwardly or dribble really high. I'm not sure that's ever going to be a strength for him.
Yeah I agree. His footwork while dribbling is also not great, maybe due to the lower posture. Lacks quickness and agility. He is extremely explosive with his longer strides though, but he needs to dribble high to be able to do that.

Giannis is the worst shooter of all superstars and not a 3 level scorer by any stretch of imagination... and those are Lauri's biggest strengths. So he is the worst superstar comp in that sense.

I do think both do similar things around the rim which are things that KD doesnt do.. but Giannis does everything better there.
Yeah, I didn't say they are identical players.

The athletic face up game attacking the basket at their size is what makes them similar. Too athletic for bigs, too big for forwards.

Lauri isn't moving like Porzingis (not as lumbering) or KD (not as shifty). He moves most likely Giannis (but without the elite strength).

And Giannis is a top 3 player for the last handful of years, no **** he is better than Lauri at most things.

With his combination of upside, versatility, and personality, there are few players that I would currently trade Lauri for. I think that we have our 1B star for the future. Do we need to reiterate how much of a stud Ainge is?!!!

He really needs to look at a map to see where Utah is in relation to other states. Too funny.

He really needs to look at a map to see where Utah is in relation to other states. Too funny.
That was a comment to the Finnish audience. The average Finn can probably point on a map where California and Florida are, those who follow ice hockey might be familiar with the general whereabouts of Colorado. But ask an average Finn to point on the map where Utah or Kentucky or Georgia are, and you might get a blank stare in return.

That was a comment to the Finnish audience. The average Finn can probably point on a map where California and Florida are, those who follow ice hockey might be familiar with the general whereabouts of Colorado. But ask an average Finn to point on the map where Utah or Kentucky or Georgia are, and you might get a blank stare in return.
Hell, ask the average american to point to where like half the states are on a map and they wont be able to. Im guilty of this.

Hell, ask the average american to point to where like half the states are on a map and they wont be able to. Im guilty of this.
I think of all the topics that I would be most likely to embarrass myself on a quiz show Geography is at the top of the list.

I think of all the topics that I would be most likely to embarrass myself on a quiz show Geography is at the top of the list.
I got free pizza for a week from a nice little pizzeria in Paris because I could explain in perfect detail where Tunisia was - the home country of the pizzeria owner - while every other American tourist had absolutely no idea where it was located in the world.

Sometimes it’s nice to be a world history and geography teacher. . .

Last edited:
I got free pizza for a week from a nice little pizzeria in Paris because I could explain in perfect detail where Tunisia was - the home country of the pizzeria owner - whole every other American tourist had absolutely no idea where it was located in the world.

Sometimes it’s nice to be a world history and geography teacher. . .
There is a place called "Tunisia"?

Yeah I have heard NBA players refer to the city of Utah and even once the State of salt lake.