What's new

Lauri's Defense

Good points, and KAT seems to be a good example of this. I looked at some of his individual defensive metrics and they have stayed pretty consistent, but by being with bad vs good defensive players the perception of his defense has changed.

I don't think it's impossible to measure defensive impact, just very difficult. I still trust the eye test in combination with consistency across various defensive metrics.

'Eye test' in Lauri's return vs Minnesota told me that he played defense very well. Surprisingly well it seemed to me, so having this thread pop up pretty soon after that game is a surprise also :cool: (if it weren't for the turn over record, he played very well overall in that game). Still... he is no elite defender, but with hustle and IQ he can be better than average.
Better last year's stats vs this year's stats may have a lot to do with the switch from a lot of minutes with Kessler to a lot of minutes with J.Collins... Last year the team was better overall though I'd say and defense - if anything - is a team effort.

I think Lauri's defense is fine to decent if he doesnt have to guard any kind of primary creator/scorer type. When he has to guard the scoring wings I think he is mediocre at best.

'Eye test' in Lauri's return vs Minnesota told me that he played defense very well. Surprisingly well it seemed to me, so having this thread pop up pretty soon after that game is a surprise also :cool: (if it weren't for the turn over record, he played very well overall in that game). Still... he is no elite defender, but with hustle and IQ he can be better than average.
Better last year's stats vs this year's stats may have a lot to do with the switch from a lot of minutes with Kessler to a lot of minutes with J.Collins... Last year the team was better overall though I'd say and defense - if anything - is a team effort.

I wasn't referring to any one game. This is something I've been thinking about all season. I would agree that he was good in the Minnesota game.

I wasn't referring to any one game. This is something I've been thinking about all season. I would agree that he was good in the Minnesota game.

You are right. As a Finn, I watch all his games in good or bad, through different lenses and follow quite closely. I remember I was told to chill down, when I earlier into season mentioned, I don't think Lauri is physically the same beast he was last season. As mentioned, the strange off-season plays a part. He has still been really effective Finnisher, but in no world his quickness and explosiveness has been the all-nba level it was last season, even if hus shooting has been. He has had few good, short runs in D, but for me, it seems natural to think the weird off-season gas had a somewhat impact on his durability, and when we add into equation how he gets hammered more in the offensive side.. It just feels there is not extended periods of really high level games in both sides of the floor. He has definitely been into more trouble with quick wings he was last season. My diagnosis is that few months of military service is not an ideal preparation for the season.