What's new

LDS general conference thread, Apr 2019

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
Those of you who are watching/listening to conference, any talks stand out to you?

With five kids, very little stands out to me. I appreciated the story about the coat, though.

I believe it was Elder Stevenson’s talk during priesthood using various Mormon athletes as examples in his talk that really stole the show in the priesthood session. Many things he said stood out to me. The importance of prayer, service, and doing your best.

I believe it was Elder Stevenson’s talk during priesthood using various Mormon athletes as examples in his talk that really stole the show in the priesthood session. Many things he said stood out to me. The importance of prayer, service, and doing your best.
Jabari to Utah confirmed.

Jabari to Utah confirmed.

He’s got me intrigued After seeing him dunk all over us. Then again, that defense doe...

It was cool how he brought up Taysom Hill. An athlete who was certainly seen his share of adversity and someone you’d think would have every right to be a little bitter over how things went maintain a level of optimism and faith in the Lord’s plan.

Last edited:
He’s got me intrigued After seeing him dunk all over us. Then again, that defense doe...

It was cool how he brought up Taysom Hill. An athlete who was certainly seen his share of adversity and someone you’d think would have every right to be a little bitter over how things went maintain a level of optimism and faith in the Lord’s plan.
I know who Taysom Hill is (meaning, I know he played football at BYU and, I believe, is in the NFL), but other than that I'm not a football guy, nor do I care about college sports, so I'm pretty ignorant on what Taysom Hill went through.

The thing about Jabari, though, is that his value is so low that it's time to buy. Everyone wants to buy high when people are unattainable, but nobody is willing to buy low... because of all the reasons that has led to someone's stock being low.

I fell asleep during conference, does it still count?

I really liked the talk by Elder Villar, especially how he (while not yet a member) decided to visit his brother on his mission, and ended up going around to all of the appointments with brother and companion, instead of going with the brother to the beach as planned.

So true. I have a tendency to zone out often during conference talks, often thinking about other things on my mind, but this one grabbed me and kept my attention throughout.

I am no longer a member, having resigned a few years ago. I do not watch general conference, but it is impossible to avoid hearing about it as it dominates social media, the local news and family/friend conversations. While watching the news coverage, it seems that almost every clip they played was about getting those who have left to come back. Was that really the dominant theme?

And did someone actually say that you should ignore any "not interested list" a person may choose to be on because "people change?" I understand the impulse when you believe that you know what is right for every person on the planet, and that your "knowledge" trumps our "ignorance." But please do not take this advice too much to heart. Ignoring people's agency is never good advice. It's like telling someone that yes, perhaps the girl told you she isn't interested in dating you, but hey, you know you belong together so just ignore that because she will change her mind if you are persistent enough.

No one who resigns from the church does it without a lot of pain, anguish, thought. It affects nearly every relationship that you have, and you have to create an entirely new world for yourself. And to have to go through all the pain again with your family and friends every six months is cruel for everyone.

For the record, it is backfiring already. Many people in my acquaintance who were on the fence about resigning from the church decided that it is time after this string of messages.

If my understanding about these messages are incorrect, I'm open to hearing about it.

Last edited:
I am no longer a member, having resigned a few years ago. I do not watch general conference, but it is impossible to avoid hearing about it as it dominates social media, the local news and family/friend conversations. While watching the news coverage, it seems that almost every clip they played was about getting those who have left to come back. Was that really the dominant theme?

And did someone actually say that you should ignore any "not interested list" a person may choose to be on because "people change?" I understand the impulse when you believe that you know what is right for every person on the planet, and that your "knowledge" trumps our "ignorance." But please do not take this advice too much to heart. Ignoring people's agency is never good advice. It's like telling someone that yes, perhaps the girl told you she isn't interested in dating you, but hey, you know you belong together so just ignore that because she will change her mind if you are persistent enough.

No one who resigns from the church does it without a lot of pain, anguish, thought. It affects nearly every relationship that you have, and you have to create an entirely new world for yourself. And to have to go through all the pain again with your family and friends every six months is cruel for everyone.

For the record, it is backfiring already. Many people in my acquaintance who were on the fence about resigning from the church decided that it is time after this string of messages.

If my understanding about these messages are incorrect, I'm open to hearing about it.
I really don't remember this as being a theme of this conference or discussed much more than normal. My view of topics that go this direction (off the top of my head) are that people change, but more than that we should just love people. I seem to remember something said this past weekend about loving people, inviting people, and if they decline that is their choice but we continue to love and be friends. We are all children of God after all and our love should not be conditioned on whether someone accepts our views or not. I don't see a problem with loving and inviting. I do see a problem in pestering and annoying.

If I understand your issue, is you see the messages of loving and reaching out to people as the invitation to pester people who have clearly said no. I don't see it that way, but I'm sure there are some zealous people that may do just that. I would hope all are respectful of people's choices either way. If you love and know someone well enough, and they change their mind, the topic will come up naturally. I don't think the counsel is to ask people every six months. I think it's to find a middle ground of knowing people and not being afraid of an invite when appropriate. For one person maybe that is in 6 months, for someone else maybe it's in 60 years. Get to know that person as a friend, be a real neighbor... not just one looking to turn them into a member of the church, love them... truly love them and help them and serve them.

I'm friends with plenty of people that know that our friendship has nothing to do with them being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If they have questions for me, they ask me. If they decide they want to know more or investigate or come back to the church they will ask me. If not, we will continue to be friends.

I think that is what the message is. It's not to pester or bother people until they give up.
/2cents

I stayed awake for all of it.
A few of my favorites from this conference.
Jeffrey R Holland
Carl B. Cook
Sharon Eubank
D. Todd Christofferson
Juan Pablo Villar
Gerrit W. Gong
Dallin H. Oaks - Sunday Afternoon

So many good ones, but these rose to the top for me. On a re-read or listen there may be more.
I appreciated the talks on repentance, Jesus Christ's atonement, on loving.
I liked Elder Holland's firmness when talking about Sacrament meeting.
I very much enjoyed the topic of the second coming.
I agree with the urgency.

No, not really. I was talking to a couple of friends yesterday evening about what we all felt the dominant themes of conference had been, and that didn't make any of our lists (we each named 3-5 items).

And did someone actually say that you should ignore any "not interested list" a person may choose to be on because "people change?"

No, not at all. The quote you are thinking of was from this talk: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2019/04/media/session_1_talk_10/6023381089001?lang=eng

It came with regards to a story that Bishop Waddell (counselor in the presiding bishopric, I believe) told about his brother Mike who had not been active in the church for decades, but who decided late in life to rejoin the church and literally hours before his death from cancer was ordained as an Elder. Bishop Waddell expressed great appreciation for a man named John who had been a friend to Mike and had helped him through the tough situation. I'll transcribe the exact quote from Bishop Waddell (starting at about 4:14 in the video linked to above):

(start quote)
Speaking of the Savior, President Nelson taught that "Because it is His church, we as His servants will minister to the one just as He did. We will minister in His name, with His power and authority, and with His loving kindness."
In response to that invitation by a prophet of God, remarkable efforts to minister to the one are taking place all over the world--in both coordinated efforts, as members faithfully fulfill their ministering assignments, as well as what I will call impromptu ministering, as so many demonstrate Christ-like love in response to unexpected opportunities.

In our own family, we witnessed up close this type of ministering. John, who was Mike's friend, ministering brother, and a former mission president, used to tell his missionaries that "If someone is on a list that says "Not interested," don't give up. People change." He then told us, "Mike changed mightily."
(end quote)

In my opinion the quote is very much saying, "Don't give up hoping for the person to change." It is certainly NOT saying, "Don't give up pestering people who want nothing to do with the church."

To continue with his remarks, he then goes on to say:

(begin quote again)
John was first a friend, providing frequent encouragement and support. But his ministry didn't stop at friendly visits. John knew that a minister was more than a friend, and that friendship is magnified as we minister. It isn't necessary for someone to be suffering, like my brother, from a life-threatening disease, in order to be in need of ministering service. Those needs come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and conditions. A single parent, a less-active couple, a struggling teen, an overwhelmed mother, a trial of faith, financial, health, or marriage issues... the list is almost endless. However, like Mike, no one is too far gone, and it is never too late for the Savior's loving reach."
(end quote)

So, to add to the context, we should help people with whatever their trials are. And again, the quote is still not at all in the context of pestering people. But even better that reading my transcript here would be for you to listen to the talk and judge for yourself. It's less than 12 minutes long.

Thanks for your responses.

Conference can be rough because your family and friends are finally treating you like maybe you aren't of the devil after all, and then GC seems to put them into mourning for you all over again.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: