What's new

Legal marijuana - good or bad? Any personal experience?

MVP

So Canada is about to legalise marijuana. I was reading some articles on Colorado and Washington experience... not sure what to believe - some say it was great for economy, some say it is devastating those states. What is your opinion?
I never smoked pot in my life and not planning to do so, but must admit when neighbours were smoking and stinking my backyard and even house it was very irritating.

So Canada is about to legalise marijuana. I was reading some articles on Colorado and Washington experience... not sure what to believe - some say it was great for economy, some say it is devastating those states. What is your opinion?
I never smoked pot in my life and not planning to do so, but must admit when neighbours were smoking and stinking my backyard and even house it was very irritating.

It'll probably be mostly irrelevant to your life. You'll see weed shops here and there. And you'll be like, "hey, look, a mj dispensary". Why would it devastate any states? lol. I go to Denver often. It's still around, undevastated.

They'll be freebasing coke next.

Wish I was freebasing coke

I generally dislike marijuana and have no interest in smoking or eating it. I don't need help relaxing, being lazy, finding life fun or interesting or the other recreational reasons people take it.

I think legalizing it is a great choice.

For one it has real medical reasons to take it that are way better for people than other medicines.

But even just for recreational reasons I think it's good to legalize it.

It's not harmful, it's not addicting, and the government shouldn't being telling people what to do with their personal lives when it doesn't effect other people.

There are very good reasons for prohibiting it at certain developmental stages of the brain. But for the most part i'm all for it, i used to smoke every day and decided not to 7 or 8 years ago for a bunch of reasons. Life has been better for it, CBF'd with it anymore.

and the government shouldn't being telling people what to do with their personal lives when it doesn't effect other people.

While I agree with this statement the weed stench coming from neighbours can be very annoying. Plus if traffic accidents increase due to marijuana consumption it can directly affect you unfortunately.

I think legalizing it is a great choice.

For one it has real medical reasons to take it that are way better for people than other medicines.

I agree about this part. As long as it is prescribed by licensed doctor - it should be legal and available for those in need.

It's an opinion piece. He's unimpressed with the 156m in tax revenue. He then throws a couple of studies, without context, in our face, and calls it a day. The first one, about arrests, is a problem with the system. Marijuana arrests for black and latinos went up because it made mj more readily available, but since the age limit is 21, you can still get arrested for mj possession if you're under age. Note that arrests rates for posession of mj went down for whites of all ages (not bothered to mention in the article).

I didn't look into the other study, because it kind of seems obvious. Being high all the time would probably hurt a student's academic performance. I guess that is a cost. I bet the same applies for those who are getting hammered all the time. /shrug. Freedom ain't free.

Reactions: MVP
Curious what does religions say about it? Is it forbidden for mormons, jews or muslims?

Curious what does religions say about it? Is it forbidden for mormons, jews or muslims?

Mainstream Sunni Islam prohibits all intoxicants. That would include marijuana. Most North American Muslims don't give a **** about such things tho.

Reactions: MVP
I don't want my high schooler smoking it but I believe it should be legalized. It's not like you can't get it anywhere, anyways.

But if my son starts smoking I'm gonna get him a nice glass bong. None of that tinfoil **** for my boy.

While I agree with this statement the weed stench coming from neighbours can be very annoying. Plus if traffic accidents increase due to marijuana consumption it can directly affect you unfortunately.
Yes, I dislike the smell but I dislike the smell of cigarettes a lot more. I also dislike the smell of people who dont shower or just smelly people but we shouldn't have laws about that.

As far as traffic goes everything people do effects me. People should get in trouble just the same for distracted driving regardless of what it is and it isn't a reason to ban things. We shouldn't ban eating, cell phones, makeup and so on just because people might do them while driving. Just ban people from doing while driving just like other things. Although I am not sure what studies say about being high and driving. But people shouldnt drive while on just about anything including prescription medication.

Yes, I dislike the smell but I dislike the smell of cigarettes a lot more. I also dislike the smell of people who dont shower or just smelly people but we shouldn't have laws about that.
Second hand smoking is proven to be detrimental to the health - that's why smoking is banned in public places. Smelly person sitting in his backyard would not produce enough smell to affect me but person smoking pot in the neighbouring backyard does. I guess there is no easy way out...if for example you can't produce loud noise after 11 pm by law than it should be something about smoking pot to prevent it's offensive odour affecting people who do not want to be affected by it as well?

Second hand smoking is proven to be detrimental to the health - that's why smoking is banned in public places. Smelly person sitting in his backyard would not produce enough smell to affect me but person smoking pot in the neighbouring backyard does. I guess there is no easy way out...if for example you can't produce loud noise after 11 pm by law than it should be something about smoking pot to prevent it's offensive odour affecting people who do not want to be affected by it as well?

That quantity of second hand smoking? Smelling a few particles of weed from across the street won't give you lung cancer...

Legal weed tends to drive people to other methods of consumption vs smoking.

I’m not for legalizing it. Worse, I really oppose the medical push. If people want to push for it being legal, fine, but I hate when it masquerades as a medical issue or when it’s sold as a panacea. Or even worse, the idea that it should be legalized to replace people’s opioids, when in reality they’d use it as a supplement to their opioids.

I don't want my high schooler smoking it but I believe it should be legalized. It's not like you can't get it anywhere, anyways.

But if my son starts smoking I'm gonna get him a nice glass bong. None of that tinfoil **** for my boy.

A vaporizer would be an even better way to go. The Volcano is my favorite