What's new

Legal marijuana sales in US 'bigger than dot-com boom'

Game6Conley

Interested to hear some west coast opinions on this phenomena.. I thought many years back that it's going to create an entire new sector of the economy (and also tons of investor confidence once it hits the markets) resulting in a boon/all-time highs...... Things seem to be progressing way faster than I expected tho..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-04/legal-marijuana-sales-'bigger-than-dot-com-boom'/8161218?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debrab...les-totaled-6-7-billion-in-2016/#33e844471871

North American marijuana sales grew by an unprecedented 30% in 2016 to $6.7 billion as the legal market expands in the U.S. and Canada, according to a new report by Arcview Market Research.

North American sales are projected to top $20.2 billion by 2021 assuming a compound annual growth rate of 25%. The report includes Canada for the first time as it moves towards implementing legal adult use marijuana.

To put this in perspective, this industry growth is larger and faster than even the dot-com era. During that time, GDP grew at a blistering pace of 22%. Thirty percent is an astounding number especially when you consider that the industry is in early stages.

Arcview's new editor-in-chief Tom Adams said, "The only consumer industry categories I've seen reach $5 billion in annual spending and then post anything like 25% compound annual growth in the next five years are cable television (19%) in the 1990's and the broadband internet (29%) in the 2000's."

ArcView's analysis uses data provided by BDS Analytics that has access to millions of individual consumer transactions from dispensary partners. “One of the biggest stories was the alternative forms of ingestion,” said ArcView Chief Executive Officer Troy Dayton. “Concentrates and edibles are becoming customer favorites versus traditional smoking.”

Even though the market is putting up huge sales numbers, there is still a great deal of uncertainty that comes with the new administration's approach towards legalization. Dayton believes that President-elect Donald Trump has been consistently in favor of states rights when it comes to legalization. “It's one of the few things he has been consistent on,” he said. Dayton also believes that even if Trump backed away from adult use, he would still favor medical marijuana.

The proposed attorney general Jeff Sessions is a confirmed critic of legalization, but Dayton believes that marijuana will be a low priority for the new administration. In any event, the group is reviewing and preparing for a more aggressive stance toward marijuana from the federal government should that happen.

Even with this cloud of uncertainty, Dayton is bullish for the market. He said investment dollars are pouring into California, Florida, Massachusetts and Nevada. “Twenty-one percent of the total U.S. population now live in legal adult use markets,” said Dayton. He also noted that Colorado, Washington and Oregon saw their sales jump 62% through September of 2016 over 2015.

Investors are predominantly interested in investing in new technology within the industry like testing technologies and new growing technologies. Retail also remains attractive as new brands vie to win market share.

Dayton also said there is a great deal of interest in Canada. That country's market is smaller than the U.S., but without the overhang of government conflict, it is a good indicator for which businesses could be replicated and thrive in the U.S.

Arcview has helped its investors place $91 million with 135 companies since 2013 and primarily focuses on private companies. The industry with its legalization risks does not attract institutional investors in the same amount that other sectors do. “You will not find another multi-billion dollar market growing at a 25% compound annual growth rate anywhere in the world that is not already filled with multi-national companies and institutional investors,” said Troy Dayton, Chief Executive Officer of Arcview Market Research. “That's part of what makes the cannabis industry such a unique opportunity for investors and entrepreneurs.”

Arcview's full 200-page report will be available in February.

Add to the revenue numbers how much can be saved in law enforcement, prosecution and imprisonment.

Plus the lives that will not be destroyed by the above mentioned.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/myster...na-use-on-the-rise-in-states-with-legal-weed/

He co-authored a study showing that since 2009, when medical marijuana became widely available, emergency room visits diagnoses for CHS in two Colorado hospitals nearly doubled. In 2012, the state legalized recreational marijuana.

“It is certainly something that, before legalization, we almost never saw,” Heard said. “Now we are seeing it quite frequently.”

Outside of Colorado, when patients do end up in an emergency room, the diagnosis is often missed. Partly because doctors don’t know about CHS, and partly because patients don’t want to admit to using a substance that’s illegal.

CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,”he said.

If you're pointing out that there is also a negative side to marijuana I completely agree with you. Of course, I'd have to go on to say the positives of legalization are outweighed 1000:1 by the drawbacks.

Marijuana is used at a fairly high rate in places where it is not legal in any form. So most of the negatives exist with or without legalization. The negatives of prohibition are far more damaging than any amount of marijuana usage could ever be. I think we're seeing that pretty conclusively. I think recreational marijuana has been an amazing success so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add to the revenue numbers how much can be saved in law enforcement, prosecution and imprisonment.

sad thing is the economy will kcik in after januarie 20. and trump will get the credit, for this boom.

or no matter hwat trump does, they will point to this to show what trump is doing is not because of trump.

depending on what media you follow!

I wonder if alcohol, cigarettes, fatty foods, guns, vehicles, or any other legal things cause trips to the hospital ever.

Oh and like gameface said, there are tons of people using pot where it's illegal as well. Difference is that when those people need medical help they either are too scared to get help due to fears of getting in trouble or they go to the hospital and lie to the doctors/nurses which makes it harder to treat those patients.

So this article is actually just shows another positive affect of legalization: people don't have to be afraid to seek help and to truthfully tell their caregivers what's going on in states that have legalized.

Right on.

Probably just that right wing media bias fake news anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using JazzFanz mobile app

This for sure.

That it is still illegal in most places is beyond idiotic to me.

Sell and tax it like cigarettes and place dui and working laws on it like alcohol.

If you're pointing out that there is also a negative side to marijuana I completely agree with you. Of course, I'd have to go on to say the positives of legalization are outweighed 1000:1 by the drawbacks.

Marijuana is used at a fairly high rate in places where it is not legal in any form. So most of the negatives exist with or without legalization. The negatives of prohibition are far more damaging than any amount of marijuana usage could ever be. I think we're seeing that pretty conclusively. I think recreational marijuana has been an amazing success so far.

I wonder if alcohol, cigarettes, fatty foods, guns, vehicles, or any other legal things cause trips to the hospital ever.

Oh and like gameface said, there are tons of people using pot where it's illegal as well. Difference is that when those people need medical help they either are too scared to get help due to fears of getting in trouble or they go to the hospital and lie to the doctors/nurses which makes it harder to treat those patients.

So this article is actually just shows another positive affect of legalization: people don't have to be afraid to seek help and to truthfully tell their caregivers what's going on in states that have legalized.

Right on.

Probably just that right wing media bias fake news anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using JazzFanz mobile app

Funny that both of you took that as a quasi-attack on legalization. I am all for legalization. I agree with stoked. Pay for our roads or schools with it. Tax it like it's a rich republican. I just thought this was a good place to point to an interesting article. I knew there were health risks with weed, but the doubling is interesting. I have also read recently that incidents of weed-related emphysema have sky-rocketed in legalized states. Not sure how many of them smoke both weed and cigarettes, but still.

This was always the clincher for me. Cigs and alcohol are far more damaging that weed, at least as far as we know. Without a good way of reporting we really don't know what the long-term effects will be of weed use healthwise, but it is doubtful it will ever even come close to the damage caused by tobacco and alcohol. Too bad those 2 are so deeply ingrained there is no feasible way to ever get rid of them. 1 death by a drunk driver is way way way too many to justify it being legal, imo.

Funny that both of you took that as a quasi-attack on legalization. I am all for legalization. I agree with stoked. Pay for our roads or schools with it. Tax it like it's a rich republican. I just thought this was a good place to point to an interesting article. I knew there were health risks with weed, but the doubling is interesting. I have also read recently that incidents of weed-related emphysema have sky-rocketed in legalized states. Not sure how many of them smoke both weed and cigarettes, but still.
One thing that worries me is that as weed gets legalized there are people always trying to make it stronger and come up with different ways to make it and consume it.
I know a guy who sells keef in little vials by the gram now and also some powerful concentrated stuff called shatter/chatter/dab or something.
Weed normally is pretty harmless and that's what I always liked about it. I don't want it to be way more powerful. The fact that it's mellow and low key high (among other obvious things) is part of what separates it from coke, meth, etc.

One thing that worries me is that as weed gets legalized there are people always trying to make it stronger and come up with different ways to make it and consume it.
I know a guy who sells keef in little vials by the gram now and also some powerful concentrated stuff called shatter/chatter/dab or something.
Weed normally is pretty harmless and that's what I always liked about it. I don't want it to be way more powerful. The fact that it's mellow and low key high (among other obvious things) is part of what separates it from coke, meth, etc.

Well, you can still buy weaker strains.

But but but... Churches say that weed is bad. just like sex edu and the gays. And tax cuts for the rich is good.

Stay the Course

This was always the clincher for me. Cigs and alcohol are far more damaging that weed, at least as far as we know. Without a good way of reporting we really don't know what the long-term effects will be of weed use healthwise, but it is doubtful it will ever even come close to the damage caused by tobacco and alcohol. Too bad those 2 are so deeply ingrained there is no feasible way to ever get rid of them. 1 death by a drunk driver is way way way too many to justify it being legal, imo.

And cigs make everything smell like ****.

Well, you can still buy weaker strains.
For sure.
But some people will inevitably use some that they are not ready for. And they will end up paranoid and doing bad things and ending up in the hospital which could make pot look bad and make some politicians second guess legalization.

For sure.
But some people will inevitably use some that they are not ready for. And they will end up paranoid and doing bad things and ending up in the hospital which could make pot look bad and make some politicians second guess legalization.

They will probably just fall asleep.

Wut was it?

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
About how there are a lot more visits to the emergency room now.

But all im saying is that weed is great already. No need to try to come up with superweed and wax and dab and all this stuff. Currently legalization is happening at a rapid pace and the majority of the country is for legalization.
I would just hate for the movement to get slowed up, stopped, or reversed due to weed changing into something much stronger and more dangerous to the user. Could change the perception of the public.

I'm just worried that legalization would quadruple the death rate from marijuana overdose.

yeah, j/k. 4x0=0