What's new

Len's Elbow on Hill

phippsj

I've been looking at that replay over and over. When it happened in the game I just thought it was a hard foul in the flow of the game.

However, looking back on that play, I'm pretty convinced Len knew what he was doing. He catches the ball facing the basket and looks at who is guarding him (Hill). He had a smaller defender and could have gone straight up for the layup. However, instead he brings his right elbow across his body towards his left in a swinging motion. That move put him OUT of shooting position, so AFTER he hits Hill he recovers back to his ORIGINAL position.

I get that its basketball, and that's the kind of dirty play we all saw plenty of in the 80s and 90s.

What I don't get is why nobody on the team went after Len. In the NBA, bigs are supposed to defend their PGs. Where was Gobert? Favors? Anybody? Guess because it was on the other end of the court. But they certainly could have returned the favor.

Because getting someone a flagrant 2 after the refs couldnt find conclusive evidence that it was intentional in the replay is the best way to secure a W :confused:

I wish we had someone who's like 6'10" commenting on this elbow. I think there's a biased one-sided (short persons) perspective being applied here.

if anything, we have 20 years of karma coming for us after Karl's bows were free-swinging game after game.

[video=youtube_share;6bM-Y4UoiAY]https://youtu.be/6bM-Y4UoiAY

[video=youtube_share;mgM0Xm4E9UI]https://youtu.be/mgM0Xm4E9UI

i know he's on the lakers here, but still :)
[video=youtube_share;f0nIHCR--Bg]https://youtu.be/f0nIHCR--Bg

if anything, we have 20 years of karma coming for us after Karl's bows were free-swinging game after game.

[video=youtube_share;6bM-Y4UoiAY]https://youtu.be/6bM-Y4UoiAY

Deserved. Do not come in to are paint. (Isaiah was a bitch anyway even Jordan kept him off the dream team)

[video=youtube_share;mgM0Xm4E9UI]https://youtu.be/mgM0Xm4E9UI

Incidental. Nothing to see here.

i know he's on the lakers here, but still :)
[video=youtube_share;f0nIHCR--Bg]https://youtu.be/f0nIHCR--Bg

Nash deserved that elbow for getting underneath a big man same as Hill deserved a elbow for the same. Man up it is not a child's game we are playing here.

Watching the vids with Karl didn't look all that intentional to me. Maybe I'm a homer, (and 6'9") but the hit on Isaiah looked like Karl went straight up and was going for the block. Isaiah ran into Karl.

The MJ hit looked pretty clean as well and unintentional.

I would maybe question the hit on Nash, but when I played (back in the 80s) that was how we were taught to hold the ball, up high and with our elbows out when grabbing a rebound as this put us into position to snap a quick outlet pass. It also protected the ball. If you wanted to take a swipe at it, you were risking eating an elbow, as Nash did. Karl may have swung into Nash on purpose, as Karl was known to punish guards (or anyone else) that came into his space.

The Len hit on Hill looked dirty as hell to me. As stated, Len basically adjusted his shot so that it put him in position to pop George, when he didn't need to.
It was disappointing that none of the Jazz players took exception to this, and surprised no one stood up for Hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That hit on Robinson looked just as intentional as the hit Len gave. Malone was suspended. Nothing happened to Len.

I'm also calling out those on here who think Malone justifies other players a decade later throwing dirty elbows on Hill.

That hit on Robinson looked just as intentional as the hit Len gave. Malone was suspended. Nothing happened to Len.

I'm also calling out those on here who think Malone justifies other players a decade later throwing dirty elbows on Hill.

Malone had a reputation for throwing bows all the time. Nobody would get away with playing like that now. Len's may or may not have been intentional, but I don't think it's something he does on any sort of regular basis.

I get that its basketball, and that's the kind of dirty play we all saw plenty of in the 80s and 90s.

What I don't get is why nobody on the team went after Len.
You've answered your own question. It's not the 80s or 90s any more. The NBA has stamped out this aspect of showing loyalty to team-mates by handing out harsh penalties for even thinking about retaliation (see: Phoenix Suns, 2007 playoffs).

In unrelated news, players are walking out on their teams and team-mates in droves during the free agency period.

Let's do some Malone love. I remember the battles between Grant and Malone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH59iMmdAco

Crazy because I totally remember that incident...and I remember it quite differently than what I just watched. Just to clarify, Malone only knocked Robinson out cold the one time?

I will say, Robinson always played Malone timidly after that.

And Malone was a nasty player. It started in college and never stopped. He didn't feel bad about hurting people. I enjoyed it back in the day, but looking back... Malone was a menace. He tried to hurt people every once in a while, and succeeded more than a few times. No place for that in professional sports.

I was at the Isiah Thomas bloodied face game. I was a Soph at Mountain View High School.
I was down low too on that side by the jazz bench. They just added on seats above or around
the exit. It was random that I ended up there, just checking the availability of tickets at a supermarket ticket counter the day of.

It seemed pretty chaotic, and I could see Thomas bleeding. Wed be furious if Lebron or someone did that Hood.

Crazy because I totally remember that incident...and I remember it quite differently than what I just watched. Just to clarify, Malone only knocked Robinson out cold the one time?

I will say, Robinson always played Malone timidly after that.

And Malone was a nasty player. It started in college and never stopped. He didn't feel bad about hurting people. I enjoyed it back in the day, but looking back... Malone was a menace. He tried to hurt people every once in a while, and succeeded more than a few times. No place for that in professional sports.

Stockton and Malone were dirty players. Elbows, kicks, nasty/mean checks, tugging, pushing, body checking...

I'm not anti Stockton or Malone. Hell, Stockton is my all time favorite player. But let's be honest, they played dirty.

I wish we had someone who's like 6'10" commenting on this elbow. I think there's a biased one-sided (short persons) perspective being applied here.

I thought mountain_hwy's comments were interesting.

Britton Johnson talked about it on the pre-game show against the Celtics. He said he didn't think it was dirty. He said George Hill is a tough guy and a fearless defender and got right up in Len's space. He said when that happens, players are at risk of getting hit. He did not blame Len.

He also said someone should probably talk to Hill and tell him he is too valuable to play that way. He can't take those risks because he is too valuable to the team.

I thought mountain_hwy's comments were interesting.

Britton Johnson talked about it on the pre-game show against the Celtics. He said he didn't think it was dirty. He said George Hill is a tough guy and a fearless defender and got right up in Len's space. He said when that happens, players are at risk of getting hit. He did not blame Len.

He also said someone should probably talk to Hill and tell him he is too valuable to play that way. He can't take those risks because he is too valuable to the team.

I think this is absurd. I absolutely want him to play that way. To play hard nosed D. Hill did nothing in that play that was dangerous or risky. Len threw an elbow. Now, I don't think Len meant to cut him open and concuss him but he knew he was throwing elbows. That's on Len, not Hill.

I think this is absurd. I absolutely want him to play that way. To play hard nosed D. Hill did nothing in that play that was dangerous or risky. Len threw an elbow. Now, I don't think Len meant to cut him open and concuss him but he knew he was throwing elbows. That's on Len, not Hill.

true, but i also want hill to play more than 1/3rd of the time.