What's new

Lets say we keep Donovan...

The Jazz Wonderbra

Let's say we keep Donovan... The Knicks don't want to give us unprotected. Other teams aren't offering what we want.

What happens next? How do we build around Donovan? Does Spida demand a trade? Do we "let him heal" for picks?

Hypothetical it up yo. I think there is a non-zero-sum chance he is here October 31st.

Last edited:
Jazz can play the long game with Donovan. They can move him at the trade deadline or next offseason if they don't receive the offer they want before then. If the Knicks want to protect their picks, then their trade package is no better than what other teams can offer. Jazz should hold off.

Again, the model that the Jazz should follow is New Orleans. Trade one star and get a haul. Then bide your time. Then trade the other star and get another haul. Jazz don't have a starter-level player at the PF or C position right now. They don't have much defense or rebounding. They can lose plenty of games even with Donovan on the roster.

Just make Mitchell play every minute of every 4th quarter and you'll be guaranteed lottery.
Honestly though just trade Mitchell to the Knicks for 6 picks already.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Just make Mitchell play every minute of every 4th quarter and you'll be guaranteed lottery.
Honestly though just trade Mitchell to the Knicks for 6 picks already.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Only if it's last year's Mitchell and not the years before. Before he decided to play through injuries in the playoffs against the Clippers, he was pretty legit.

What is so bad about resting Mitchell half the year and playing for lottery balls with the plan to keep Donovan and pair him with a lottery pick?

Sure, he doesn't like it, but that formula (along with the first pick - Tim Duncan) made the Spurs relevant for a decade.

If we don’t trade Mitchell this off season, we continue with Don and continue to listen to offers, at some point a team or the Knicks will make moves to acquire more assets to sweeten a Mitchell deal just need to be patient and create a bidding war. You can tank with Mitchell as long as we continue to do what we have done the last five years, just even more so. Mitch can’t win games by himself unless Kessler and Bolmaro miraculously become stars, and in that case yay for us!! Lol. Knicks can say till blue in the face they have leverage, doesn’t mean they do. Lol

Call me crazy but I can see if the Jazz keep DM, keep the players Minny sent us and sign a journeyman center their record could be as good or better than this past season's. The reason: more depth, a much more talented bench and they aren't playing Quin's crazy system where mediocrity and horrendous play is being rewarded. Hey DM may not like it, but I would switch incomes to be in his shoes.

The problem is Mitchell is a good #2, a great #3. He isn't a complete enough ball player to be the #1. No team that has won the championship has done so without a #1 that can (and chooses to) play on both ends of the floor. Don't give me the Steph crap, he upped his defensive game in the finals, not a stopper, not a sieve either. And frankly that is all we needed from Mitchell this year, not be a traffic cone. So unless he makes some miraculous leap as a defender (and from his current play, just getting to break even would be a miraculous leap for him) we need to find a #1, and maybe even a better #2. Do we think that there is a #1 in this coming draft? The guy everyone is high on seems pretty rough and unfortunately in what I have read and highlights I have watched, Wembanyama gives me some minor Exum vibes. Shows raw talent, has some physical gifts, concerned he can ever put it together to become that #1. Gives me strong #2 or #3 vibes at best. Can we win it all with 2 solid #2s? Well Rudy is at least that, and the best defensive player the league has seen in decades, and that didn't get us there.

So unless there is a cannot miss prospect in this upcoming draft that can truly be our Tim Duncan or what have you, then we just need to move Mitchell. It will do us no good at all to lean on a guy we have to hide for half the game and hope against hope we can tag-team his guy in the playoffs so they don't expose him yet again as the unbelievably bad defender he is. That will just kill us unless we find our LeBron. And I am just not seeing it. I see a bunch of guys that could be Tatum, which is great, but is it enough alongside Mitchell to get us there? I don't know. And what are the odds we get THAT pick and pick THAT guy that turns into at least a Tatum level player?

So for my money I really hope they move Mitchell for the best haul we can get, whether now, at the deadline, or before the draft or on draft night next year, or whatever. But definitely before we commit to a flawed game plan yet again and end up on the treadmill again.

What is so bad about resting Mitchell half the year and playing for lottery balls with the plan to keep Donovan and pair him with a lottery pick?

Sure, he doesn't like it, but that formula (along with the first pick - Tim Duncan) made the Spurs relevant for a decade.
What made the Spurs relevant for that long were 3 legit 2-way players that excelled at their niche. Duncan was the anchor and stellar #1 option and perennial MVP candidate. Ginobili was the sparkplug, swiss army knife off the bench that anchored a strong defense and gave them another playmaker and crafty scorer, and Parker was a feisty lead guard with excellent play-making skills who played pesky defense. That combo proved to be near unstoppable for the better part of a decade, almost no matter who else was in the mix because they had Pop and a stellar game plan that covered both ends of the floor and they all bought into. With Mitchell we have basically half of Ginobili, albeit a much better scorer, but not even 1/10 the defender. We need a lot more than a possible Duncan with Mitchell to cover his gaping holes on defense to become relevant.

You don’t think him playing half the season improves the win total? The odds might be flat 1-3, but the teams with the worse records still have the higher pick lottery notwithstanding.

Also, David Robinson was legitimately plagued with injuries that year. Tanking didn’t have to be part of the equation to shut him down.

Robinson >>> Mitchell and
Duncan is likely >>> anyone in this draft

Rebuilding in most cases also takes longer than three years. Let’s say the Jazz get lucky and only take two: Mitchell has a year left before his opt-out and then the Jazz if they’re “lucky” gotta pay him the super max.

Let’s say they aren’t lucky, he’s gone without compensation if they keep him that long. And the longer he’s here the less he’s gonna net in a trade for a multitude of reasons.

Last and probably least: he doesn’t really want to be here (has been crickets about all the moves and anything about the team) and he shouldn’t want to be here either. I would rather him move on, it’s in the best interest of all parties.

Call me crazy but I can see if the Jazz keep DM, keep the players Minny sent us and sign a journeyman center their record could be as good or better than this past season's. The reason: more depth, a much more talented bench and they aren't playing Quin's crazy system where mediocrity and horrendous play is being rewarded. Hey DM may not like it, but I would switch incomes to be in his shoes.
This is everything that’s been wrong with the jazz ever since Stockton and Malone left. How is that team minus Gobert better? We traded Gobert and trying to trade Mitchell because that team wasn’t good enough. So now we are going to spend more money on a makeshift center and run it back after trading a generational defensive talent and rim protector.

If you are going to trade a generational talent in Gobert, whether you keep Don or not, you need to tank. Get assets. There’s no point in trying to win with Don and the wolves traded players. No way it’s a good enough team to have more success than the team of the last 3 years did

You don’t think him playing half the season improves the win total? The odds might be flat 1-3, but the teams with the worse records still have the higher pick lottery notwithstanding.

Also, David Robinson was legitimately plagued with injuries that year. Tanking didn’t have to be part of the equation to shut him down.

Robinson >>> Mitchell and
Duncan is likely >>> anyone in this draft

Rebuilding in most cases also takes longer than three years. Let’s say the Jazz get lucky and only take two: Mitchell has a year left before his opt-out and then the Jazz if they’re “lucky” gotta pay him the super max.

Let’s say they aren’t lucky, he’s gone without compensation if they keep him that long. And the longer he’s here the less he’s gonna net in a trade for a multitude of reasons.

Last and probably least: he doesn’t really want to be here (has been crickets about all the moves and anything about the team) and he shouldn’t want to be here either. I would rather him move on, it’s in the best interest of all parties.
I was thinking about this, off-topic of course. But you know, Stockton and Malone being so durable was a double-edged sword. Yeah we had them and were contenders all the time because they were iron men, but we also never had the advantage some other teams did of going from competing to a high draft pick right back to competing again because a key guy was down for a while. The Spurs are the poster-children for this. Went from not just competing but contending to the #1 pick in one of the best drafts of all time, right to a ring inside of 3 years. But we trudged along with Malone and Stockton never dealing with serious injury, so we never had the shot at that high pick guy that could have gotten us over the top. Interesting to think about, that Malone and Stockton being so steady could have cost us a chance at a ring as much as it gave us the opportunities we had in the first place.

There' absolutely nothing wrong about keeping Mitchell.
The trade expectations arise from all around reports on New Jazz brass desires to go a new route.
As a fan, I've got zero problem with him staying in one of these brand new flat and intriguing Jazz unis.

Sent from my SM-G780G using JazzFanz mobile app

Do you remember the season after Stockton and Malone left? AK47 and a bunch of talentless bums came within one game of making the playoffs. If the plan is to sell everyone off and tank with GLeaguers great. But if the owner, coach and Ainge have a different idea, I can roll with that too.

all this talk about him I wonder how he will play if he isn't traded. Will he be disinterested? Just play out his minutes and wait until traded? Or will he be more active ?