What's new

LIVE FEED - Open scrimmage Utah Jazz (at High school) -- link in thread

Boy, Joe Johnson is instant offense.

Still think we should go Hayward & Joe in the 1st unit and build a strong lead. Johnson's just so consistent.

In my season prediction. Rod runs the second unit, wins 6POY. Insurance if Gordo flees.

In my season prediction. Rod runs the second unit, wins 6POY. Insurance if Gordo flees.

I agree. Hood is better with ball in hand, making plays for himself and others than Joe Johnson. Let Hood run the 2nd unit ala James Harden. He'll do a bang up job.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=41682798

Really really cool that the jazz did this.

Yeah, after reading that article, I had to go back and give Cy a thumbs down for bitching about it. That was pretty badass, and even though I was joking about kids not skipping school now in hopes of the same thing happening at their school, I wouldn't at all be surprised if it cuts down on kids missing school for a while in SLC. Kind of an awesome idea.

Yeah, after reading that article, I had to go back and give Cy a thumbs down for bitching about it. That was pretty badass, and even though I was joking about kids not skipping school now in hopes of the same thing happening at their school, I wouldn't at all be surprised if it cuts down on kids missing school for a while in SLC. Kind of an awesome idea.

I guess this explains why Cy was demoted from King to Saint.

Joe Johnson is gonna have a bigger role on the team than most people think imo

Before I saw how JJ was fitting in, I thought Hood was a lock to start. Not so sure now. He's just too skilled. If he gives even an average performance on D, he'll be tough to keep off the floor.

Joe Johnson should not be a primary or even secondary option on offense. I fear the younger Jazz players will be passing him the ball a lot in the last 8 seconds and he is limited at this point in his career. Hopefully everyone understands that.
He is 35 and going into his 16th NBA season. His PER the last three years trend down like a typical vet in the twilight of his career: 15.5, 14.1, 12

Joe Johnson should not be a primary or even secondary option on offense. I fear the younger Jazz players will be passing him the ball a lot in the last 8 seconds and he is limited at this point in his career. Hopefully everyone understands that.
He is 35 and going into his 16th NBA season. His PER the last three years trend down like a typical vet in the twilight of his career: 15.5, 14.1, 12

The Jazz need to develop their youngsters if possible, but the number one goal this year is to win, if nothing more than to retain Hayward. It really comes down to how Quin feels about it and what he believes will give us the best chance of winning. JJ's not what he was six years ago, but veterans win ball games, period! The only metric I have this year for success is winning--I almost feel guilty for saying that, because it's been a long time since we've actually been in win-now mode.

Agreed. However, didn't he struggle with his shot the first month of regular season last year? Let us all hope together that he catches fire to begin the season.

Here are Haywards FG% to start the season since his 3rd year, when his offensive role expanded. During these last four seasons, his FG% was .431 - which is, by the way, well bellow league the league average of .452.

If we compare Hayward's shooting during each of the first three months of the last four seasons with his average of .431, we will notice that in only four of those twelve months he shot above it. In other words, he seems to be a slow starter shooting-wise.

oct 2015: .353 (3 games)
nov 2015: .437 (13 games)
dec 2015: .423 (15 games)

oct 2014: .350 (2 games)
nov 2014: .490 (15 games)
dec 2014: .437 (15 games)

oct 2013: .308 (1 game)
nov 2013: .387 (17 games)
dec 2013: .413 (16 games)

oct 2012: .400 (1 game)
nov 2012: .407 (16 games)
dec 2012: .440 (15 games)

The Jazz need to develop their youngsters if possible, but the number one goal this year is to win, if nothing more than to retain Hayward. It really comes down to how Quin feels about it and what he believes will give us the best chance of winning. JJ's not what he was six years ago, but veterans win ball games, period! The only metric I have this year for success is winning--I almost feel guilty for saying that, because it's been a long time since we've actually been in win-now mode.

I think he would be better served playing fewer minutes. Think he makes a bigger impact on the second unit. It's a long season, the longer it goes the harder it will be for him to be consistent. We want the heat JJ, not the nets JJ. He's been fairly sluggish the last few years. He shouldn't start. He shouldn't start for the simple fact that we will need him down the stretch late in the season and in the playoffs. Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he can't finish the game or make an impact.