What's new

LockedOnJazz.com: A scouts view on the Utah Jazz...

Basically the scout is a big believer of Sloan's system but thinks any team will have a difficult time to adjust when 6 of your 13 players are new.

Asks fans to be patient because it's too early to judge, give it 25 to 30 games before any changes should be made.

Thinks the new pieces will "absolutely" fit well with the system eventually.

25-30 games sounds logical to me. We already know that it will take some time for the Jazz to be as efficient as they should and can become. However, being relatively a new team does not and should not mean that the team will suck. You have to win the games in which you're highly favoured. The Jazz should not lose home games against lesser teams like Suns + have to win against scrappy opponents regardless. Otherwise, say hello to 7th-8th seed. The Jazz can win those games with effort and defensive intensity which are said to be improved since we play with Al + Millsap instead of Okur-Boozer.

The Suns are hardly a lesser team. They have a solid team in my opinion. A little undersized, but incredibly athletic.

Last edited:
Good thread!
Unfortunately, between the very competetive West and the fact we do not have 1 on 1 players other than Big Al, our record for that 25-30 games it'll take to 'adjust' may be kinda bad. Hopefully the rest of the season we will dominate and still be able to make the playoffs...

The Suns are heardly a lesser team. They have a solid team in my opinion. A little undersized, but incredibly athletic.

I think they will be not higher than 7th seed. A lot of fans or experts would agree with me on this. They do not have reliable inside scoring threat. Their game plan is obvious and not multidimensional. They are, IMO, obviously worse than Dallas, SA, Utah, OKC, HOU. Hedo at 4 just does not work and Warrick is obviously not a PF you would make your go-to-guy.

Personally, I think the West is just too good for the Suns to make the playoffs. They'll have good games here and there, such as last night's.

The struggles are somewhat understandable, but Williams melting down after two games is not. Williams needs to step up and be a leader or we will be such a mess 30 games in that this team will never have a chance to gel.

I think all players are adjusting...even Williams. Considering he now has a new role on the team. There are born leaders and there are leaders who are made.

If the Suns are to get above the 7th seed, it'll take an MVP year from Nash and Gentry will be a COY candidate. The Suns aren't a bad team, but they can't be that good, either.

I guess if Robin turns into his brother then there's a chance.

I haven't listened to the audio. I hope the Jazz put it together before they fall apart.

Good thread!
Unfortunately, between the very competetive West and the fact we do not have 1 on 1 players other than Big Al, our record for that 25-30 games it'll take to 'adjust' may be kinda bad. Hopefully the rest of the season we will dominate and still be able to make the playoffs...
They also mentioned on 1320 KFAN (maybe it's in the audio, too; I listened to most of it live) that the Jazz could have a record of 10 wins and 20 losses if it takes that long.

This isn't football. It shouldn't take 25 games to learn an offense. Not even Jake Heaps is going to take that long (lol). I'm not proposing to change the system; that's one of the major things that I like about Sloan. (There are a few major things, including matchup analysis and substitution patterns, that I don't.)

In the meantime, Jerry, just for sharts and giggles, try a lineup of DW-Bell-AK-PM-Fes; swap in CJ if you prefer. This will tell you what a lineup knowing the offense well will do (although Fes probably and sadly doesn't know it cold yet; he's the closest we've got to an experienced healthy center though). That lineup isn't gonna hurt you (except maybe outside shooting), and you might discover that it's a good one to come back to on a nightly basis.

Lineup Analysis 101.

It's DWill, Raja and CJ that have been stinking it up. Problem is, outside of Hayward, there are no other options for shooting at the guard positions. Adn that's what the Jazz need if Big Al can't dominate inside. AK has gone back to chucking and trying his fancy passing; he's trying to get himself on ESPN so other GM's and owners will take notice.

If it takes 30 games to even begin to gel, the Jazz may as well dump CJ and AK for tax relief and start Evans and Hayward, with an eye towards building for next year. I wonder how Jefferson feels seeing his TWolves with a better record than the Jazz - and that will probably hold true for at least the first 15-20 games of the season. Is there any doubt Utah is going to lose at least 8 of their first 10 games? And maybe all of them if the Jazz can't even beat a projected lottery team at home.

It's DWill, Raja and CJ that have been stinking it up. Problem is, outside of Hayward, there are no other options for shooting at the guard positions. Adn that's what the Jazz need if Big Al can't dominate inside. AK has gone back to chucking and trying his fancy passing; he's trying to get himself on ESPN so other GM's and owners will take notice.

If it takes 30 games to even begin to gel, the Jazz may as well dump CJ and AK for tax relief and start Evans and
Hayward, with an eye towards building for next year. I wonder how Jefferson feels seeing his TWolves with a better record than the Jazz - and that will probably hold true for at least the first 15-20 games of the season. Is there any
doubt Utah is going to lose at least 8 of their first 10 games? And maybe all of them if the Jazz can't even beat a projected lottery team at home.

Lol start 0-10?

This is absurd. If we take 25-30 games to get it together, the season is over. Still making the playoffs after not playing up to potential for the first third of the season with the West as competitive as it is? LOL @ that ridiculous, laughable notion.

This is absurd. If we take 25-30 games to get it together, the season is over. Still making the playoffs after not playing up to potential for the first third of the season with the West as competitive as it is? LOL @ that ridiculous, laughable notion.

Nobody is saying we are going to lose the first 25-30 games, or that we are going to play this bad for all of them. It's just going to take some time for them to be as good as they can and should be.

I think JF was pretty realistic in its expectations of the Jazz this season, up until the 8-0 preseason. The Jazz played harder than their opponents and won. Now teams are bringing it, and the teams lack of offensive knowledge has been exposed.

Go back to before preseason expectations. The team will take 10 - 20 games to get things worked out well enough to beat the bottom feeders and win consistently at home. The road is going to be rough all season.

We should finish the season around the 7 - 8 seed with hope of a good playoff run.

It's too bad next season will be lost tot he lock out. I think the team will show strong next season.

If it takes 30 games to even begin to gel, the Jazz may as well dump CJ and AK for tax relief and start Evans and Hayward, with an eye towards building for next year. I wonder how Jefferson feels seeing his TWolves with a better record than the Jazz - and that will probably hold true for at least the first 15-20 games of the season. Is there any doubt Utah is going to lose at least 8 of their first 10 games? And maybe all of them if the Jazz can't even beat a projected lottery team at home.

A team with Deron Williams at point guard lose 10 games straight??
Your a funny guy lol.