What's new

LockedOnJazz.com: A scouts view on the Utah Jazz...

A team with Deron Williams at point guard lose 10 games straight??
Your a funny guy lol.

Funnier things have happened. Have you seen the team run try to run the offense. They look terrible out there.

We played 0% Jazz basketball against the Nuggets. We played maybe 10% Jazz basketball against the Suns. 0-10 is extreme, but not out of the question. Even with Deron.

The Suns are hardly a lesser team. They have a solid team in my opinion. A little undersized, but incredibly athletic.

The Suns do a good job of spreading the floor with their shooters and using their guards to break down the defense. To beat the Suns, our players have to shoot well.

Decent interview IMHO with Jody Genessy.
https://www.kall700sports.com/audio/play/2685
Addendum (edit isn't working for me in Firefox or internet explorer): Jody confirms that the Jazz don't usually practice the day after a back-to-back--which proves that there is plenty of time (from time to time) to review film as a team. After a back-to-back, there should be plenty of material (good and/or bad) to discuss.

BTW, Millsap reiterates in the locker room that there's no chemistry. How to solve the lack of chemistry? Put on a lineup that knows the system best. That lineup is DW-Bell/CJ-AK-PM-Fes.

There is NO WAY you start Fess over AJ. What, if Howard Eisley comes out of retirement are you going to start him over Deron? That is crazy. Even with his lack of knowledge, AJ is your second best player. If anyone sits on that first unit, it's AK. That is the only change you consider making and seeing how bad CJ is plying there is no way you make that change.

Sitting AJ for Fess...

The biggest problem the Jazz have is not a lack of knowledge of the system, it's a lack of shooting. AK, Bell, Millsap, Jefferson and Deron can't hit the broadside of a barn from ten feet out. Until we start hitting jumpshots the offense won't work because teams will kelp clogging the paint and not allow our cutters to do their jobs.

give it 25 to 30 games before any changes should be made.

Not sure I buy this theory. Look at Heat. Complete overhaul.
Took them one game to straighten themselves out.
Jazz should be able to get it together quicker than 25-30 games.

Not sure I buy this theory. Look at Heat. Complete overhaul.
Took them one game to straighten themselves out.
Jazz should be able to get it together quicker than 25-30 games.

You're using the Heat as a comparison? Seriously?

Fes knows the system?
Evidently he knows it better than Jefferson. It's AJ who's been getting the flak for not being in the right place at the right time. Such flak toward Fesenko has waned.

And more importantly, KF is a center, whereas Al Jefferson evidently is not. Utah has been getting pwned on the boards. Sheldon Williams with 16 RBs? Hakim Warrick off the bench with 11 RBs in 26 minutes?

Utah should play ~12 minutes with Fesenko alongside AJ or Millsap, ~12 minutes with Elson alongside AJ or Millsap, and ~12 minutes with AJ and Millsap together. That's enough time to see what combo works, and it ain't gonna hurt you. Then play the rest of the game with what works best.

Unexpectedly, Sloan is now playing AJ and Millsap way too much together, and they are getting pwned. It's not just not knowing the offense; it's being unable to defend. This is worse than Boozer + Millsap for only part of the game.

And in the Nuggets game, Fes and Elson played most of the time together. THE MATCHUPS DID NOT CALL FOR THAT. Sloan, you might want to consider playing a center alongside a power forward. Just maybe.

Coaching 101.

There is NO WAY you start Fess over AJ. What, if Howard Eisley comes out of retirement are you going to start him over Deron? That is crazy. Even with his lack of knowledge, AJ is your second best player. If anyone sits on that first unit, it's AK. That is the only change you consider making and seeing how bad CJ is plying there is no way you make that change.

Sitting AJ for Fess...
I don't care who starts; I just am pointing out that Sloan is playing a small fraction of the game with a center playing alongside a power forward. Fes is a center, and Elson is more a center than AJ and Millsap are, and AJ is unfortunately a power forward. (I thought that he would be a center, but he is only a fill-in, just like Boozer was.) As I have described elsewhere, Millsap and Jefferson will still get 30+ minutes per because they will play some of their time together, not most of the time like the disaster of what is happening. It's not enough height. Boozer and Millsap showed that last year. (And Okur + Boozer isn't enough speed. Fesenko and Elson are a bit more agile than Slowkur, and they have a better ability to block shots than Jefferson + Millsap.)

At some point during the game, you have DW-Bell/CJ-AK-Millsap-Fes, for some meaningful length of time, so you can see the impact of having non-new players has on how the offense flows. Also, it's better to have Jefferson on the block for most of his minutes.

Scientific method and analysis here. Not coaching out your azz with robotic substitutions and being mesmerized by players who play hard but are ineffective. As in -16 (team worst) and -14 ineffective (third worst behind Williams and Hayward), which are Jefferson's +/- for the first two games.

In just 3 mins tonight Fesenko showed how much more valuable he can be as compared to Al Jefferson. Shame on Sloan for playing Jefferson 40 mins. Fire Sloan's *** already.

Looks like I was right about this as usual lol.

Deron, Millsap and AK have figured out their leadership roles on this team, and Sloan has obviously done a great job adjusting the rotation.
Playing less Hayward and Evans, and playing more AK and C.J.
Those three leaders of this team are the catalysts for getting players like Big Al, Raja Bell, and the rookies into the offense.
When these 3 guys play well, we are unstoppable, especially when AK plays well.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Hayward and Evans, but they need some time like all rookies do.

Against these elite teams in the west, you have to play your guys that know the system the best.

Showed big time tonight.

Evidently he knows it better than Jefferson. It's AJ who's been getting the flak for not being in the right place at the right time. Such flak toward Fesenko has waned.

And more importantly, KF is a center, whereas Al Jefferson evidently is not. Utah has been getting pwned on the boards. Sheldon Williams with 16 RBs? Hakim Warrick off the bench with 11 RBs in 26 minutes?

Utah should play ~12 minutes with Fesenko alongside AJ or Millsap, ~12 minutes with Elson alongside AJ or Millsap, and ~12 minutes with AJ and Millsap together. That's enough time to see what combo works, and it ain't gonna hurt you. Then play the rest of the game with what works best.

Unexpectedly, Sloan is now playing AJ and Millsap way too much together, and they are getting pwned. It's not just not knowing the offense; it's being unable to defend. This is worse than Boozer + Millsap for only part of the game.

And in the Nuggets game, Fes and Elson played most of the time together. THE MATCHUPS DID NOT CALL FOR THAT. Sloan, you might want to consider playing a center alongside a power forward. Just maybe.

Coaching 101.

Obviously this guy knows what he's talking about.

Whose with me on a "this dude for Jazz coach" signature thread??

It's DWill, Raja and CJ that have been stinking it up. Problem is, outside of Hayward, there are no other options for shooting at the guard positions.

What are you talking about??!?

Hayward is the worst shooter of that group you named. Even if he gets control of his nerves and starts stroking it, he's still the least proven of the group. Wow.

Looks like I was right about this as usual lol.

Deron, Millsap and AK have figured out their leadership roles on this team, and Sloan has obviously done a great job adjusting the rotation.
Playing less Hayward and Evans, and playing more AK and C.J.
Those three leaders of this team are the catalysts for getting players like Big Al, Raja Bell, and the rookies into the offense.
When these 3 guys play well, we are unstoppable, especially when AK plays well.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Hayward and Evans, but they need some time like all rookies do.

Against these elite teams in the west, you have to play your guys that know the system the best.

Showed big time tonight.
Yes, it certainly takes a genius to figure out that if 3 of your top 6 players have great games, the team is going to be tough to stop.

And do you think Evans, Hayward, Fesenko, etc. may have gotten a lot more playing time than usual in the two losses because they were blowouts? Sloan himself said he prefers an 8-man rotation. In the Jazz system, that means 3 rotating at PF/C, three at SG/SF and two at PG. Other teams use combo guards or combo forwards.

A huge loss will likely result in Sloan emptying the bench...why give starters heavy minutes in a hopeless cause? However, with a huge lead, Sloan might just leave regular rotation players in a bit longer, as they need SUCCESSFUL reps to build confidence and learn/reinforce offensive and defensive sets.