What's new

Locker Clean-out Discussion

Ingles comment about how close this team compared to last year's says volumes. It sounds like Trey, Heywood, Rodney and George Hill may not be expecting Christams cards from him.

I think Joe sends them cards of all his favorite digs with the caption “you got jingled you friccin moron”.

Jae mentioned the difference between his Boston/Cleveland teams and the Jazz was geography... they play in the East... it makes a difference.

Here is my homer question of the day... would we have made the finals if we played in the East? Assume DM is healthy.
Since we wouldn't have to play Atlanta, yes. Yes we would.

I started the convo... if we want a good amount of cap space one of them is likely gone in 2019.

Combined right now, they make around $20. If we give Exum what most are considering ($8-10) and Rubio takes a number similar to his current number, we are only paying around $25 for both Exum and Rubio. I don't think that extra $5 million hurts us that much for 2019 goals. $25 million for 2 good PG's is affordable. John Wall makes $40+ soon by himself...

Reactions: MVP
Combined right now, they make around $20. If we give Exum what most are considering ($8-10) and Rubio takes a number similar to his current number, we are only paying around $25 for both Exum and Rubio. I don't think that extra $5 million hurts us that much for 2019 goals. $25 million for 2 good PG's is affordable. John Wall makes $40+ soon by himself...

If those two combined make 25M and we add in cap holds for first rounders in 2018 and 2019... and we add in roster charges for two spots we are at about $25M in space... assuming we sign no other players beyond next year.

That is enough to get in the conversation for Niko, Tobias, and such but not enough to get you Klay or a blue chip guy... those guys may be pipe dreams though.

We could trade Jae or Dante at that point and clear the additional space. i just think it is an interesting conversation.

Honestly we all should take example from our team at how united they were. We are fans of the same team. We should stop being so rude to each other all the time. I love you all guys - even crazy Exum homers, flat earth believers and other nutbars.... Oh and Cy is still a dick.
Go Jazz.

Perfect

Reactions: MVP
If those two combined make 25M and we add in cap holds for first rounders in 2018 and 2019... and we add in roster charges for two spots we are at about $25M in space... assuming we sign no other players beyond next year.

That is enough to get in the conversation for Niko, Tobias, and such but not enough to get you Klay or a blue chip guy... those guys may be pipe dreams though.

We could trade Jae or Dante at that point and clear the additional space. i just think it is an interesting conversation.

I'm so conflicted on what to do.

Part of me wants to forgo 2019 cap space by picking up an incredible asset now considering we have so many non-guaranteed contracts as assets, #21 and expiring Burks. There are more teams destined for the luxury this year than I've ever seen. Those non-guaranteed contracts are strong assets. If we could net a 10 pick by taking a bad contract that affects maybe this year and next, it could be worth it.

Then the other part of me thinks we should be patient and see if we evolve into a free agency destination due to Mitchell.

I prefer to play the cards instead of hoping something happens for us. In other words, I like the idea of using the assets to make a move rather than stand pat and hope for the best. Seems like DL uses the same mindset many times. We traded a 1st for Hill. We traded a 1st for Rubio. We traded up for Mitchell. We traded Hood for Crowder. I would be shocked if we just drafted at #21 and let those non-guaranteeds expire.

I'm so conflicted on what to do.

Part of me wants to forgo 2019 cap space by picking up an incredible asset now considering we have so many non-guaranteed contracts as assets, #21 and expiring Burks. There are more teams destined for the luxury this year than I've ever seen. Those non-guaranteed contracts are strong assets. If we could net a 10 pick by taking a bad contract that affects maybe this year and next, it could be worth it.

Then the other part of me thinks we should be patient and see if we evolve into a free agency destination due to Mitchell.

I prefer to play the cards instead of hoping something happens for us. In other words, I like the idea of using the assets to make a move rather than stand pat and hope for the best. Seems like DL uses the same mindset many times. We traded a 1st for Hill. We traded a 1st for Rubio. We traded up for Mitchell. We traded Hood for Crowder. I would be shocked if we just drafted at #21 and let those non-guaranteeds expire.
I’m pretty sure that your thought process tilts that way because it gives you the whole offseason to pepper us with crazy trade scenarios.

I’d be totally cool with the Jazz flipping Burks for Carroll (taking on $4+ million more for the last year of his contract) and flipping Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh for a higher draft pick - if they plan on also keeping Exum and Favors in free agency. Structure, cost and length of those contracts will be key to their future plans.

While I could see them trying to save cap space in 2019/2020, I think that becomes far less of a priority if they plan to keep Ricky Rubio and Dante Exum.

After seeing AB in the playoffs, I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to want to dump him. The Jazz probably don't advance without him, and they certainly don't win game 2 against the Rockets. They would've gone from "soundly defeated" to "embarrassed" in that series.

I think it's a great thing to have a guy come in and break the opponent's scouting report.

Does anyone know where I can find transcripts of the interviews? I see they are all on youtube, but I was hoping to read them during some boring conference calls, and google couldn't help me, the bastard.

After seeing AB in the playoffs, I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to want to dump him. The Jazz probably don't advance without him, and they certainly don't win game 2 against the Rockets. They would've gone from "soundly defeated" to "embarrassed" in that series.

I think it's a great thing to have a guy come in and break the opponent's scouting report.

I’m not in a hurry to send the guy out... no rush at all. I think we’ve just seen this story before... gets hot plays smart for a couple weeks then goes back to long twos, turnovers, and ball watching.

I say we keep him unless someone wants to take his salary or give us something of value in return... he’s a good soldier and came in and delivered when we needed him. I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him if it nets us equal but different value and gives him a chance to get more PT. If he requested it I think we should make reasonable efforts to oblige.

Does anyone know where I can find transcripts of the interviews? I see they are all on youtube, but I was hoping to read them during some boring conference calls, and google couldn't help me, the bastard.

Google is a real ahole sometimes... only has answers to 98% of the questions I have in life... totally over rated.

Also, it’s been a while since Burks has been healthy this long and had a full off season following a fully healthy regular season..... and it’s a contract year.

Also, it’s been a while since Burks has been healthy this long and had a full off season following a fully healthy regular season..... and it’s a contract year.
When he fell out of the rotation, I conceded that his trade value was gone and they’d probably end up trading him at the deadline as an expiring contract or buy him out.

After this playoff series, I absolutely think the Jazz should trade him and get a player that better first the rotation - giving him a chance to play somewhere and hopefully rehab his image and FA value. I’d hope it happens in the leadup to the draft. I’m down for using his contract to get Carroll back or make salaries match in a bigger deal.

I’m pretty sure that your thought process tilts that way because it gives you the whole offseason to pepper us with crazy trade scenarios.

True. It's not an agenda but more of impatience. We'll make a trade before next season; I'm just never quite sure what for.

True. It's not an agenda but more of impatience. We'll make a trade before next season; I'm just never quite sure what for.
It was a compliment. I enjoy your optimistic enthusiasm for dealmaking.

I was surprised for the move for Rubio last year, and then the aggressive trading and player acquisitions in the draft and post-Hayward. He did an amazing job with limited resources.

I think DL actually has a LOT more to work with this year if he wants to continue to be aggressive. I’m excited to see what he can come up with.