What's new

Lockout!!!

Yeah, right. I don't know a single Jazz fan who would want to watch a D-league Jazz team get creamed every night by an all-star team from LA, New York, or Chicago. Even the fans of those teams would get bored with that situation in a hurry. Teams like Utah would fizzle out, and it would probably cut the league in half. This is a terrible idea, and quite honestly, I don't believe you are a Jazz fan if you would be OK with that.

Just like easy mode on most video games. you love a few blow outs, but it gets old quickly. This would never work in the long run.

Jazz fan for 25 years, I got on board when it was the underdog Jazz versus the might Lakers.

I never said D-league team, but the Jazz would have to field a team of second choices, cast offs and left overs, but isn't that what they are doing now? (see Rodger Bell, A. Jefferson, and D. Harris.) The Jazz were going to get creamed by the all-star teams of Chicago, LA, New York and Miami this year anyway. I'm just saying without the CBA the illusion of fairness is eliminated and realistic expectations could be sink in.
But they competed pretty well with LA, Chicago and Houston back in the days of Stockton and Malone. Failure to win a championship was on the heads of the coaching staff, Larry H. and the Jazz players choking rather than on the structure of the CBA at the time.

Eliminate the CBA and you'd have 6-8 teams remain solvent with the ability to stock their teams with $150-$200M worth of salaries. The rest of the cities would have to form a minor-league system, either with direct affiliations with the super-NBA franchises, or simply by signing the undrafted players, roster cuts and second-tier players. I think it would work, much like the ABA became almost as popular as the NBA some forty years ago. And to be honest, I'd rather go watch the teams comprised of the Millsaps, Haywards and Harris' of the world than see Lebron, DWade, Bosh and Paul battle Carmelo, Stoudemire and Deron every three games. A small league run by the super agents and superstars won't last long. A second-tier league would, IMO, expecially if franchises signed some players not quite good enough to make the rosters of the super teams, but with local college ties.

I never said D-league team, but the Jazz would have to field a team of second choices, cast offs and left overs, but isn't that what they are doing now? (see Rodger Bell, A. Jefferson, and D. Harris.) The Jazz were going to get creamed by the all-star teams of Chicago, LA, New York and Miami this year anyway. I'm just saying without the CBA the illusion of fairness is eliminated and realistic expectations could be sink in.

I never said you said D-league team. I'm saying that's what it would be in that situation, and it's unlikely Utah would keep a team for very long. And no, the situation now is nowhere close to what it would be in that scenario. The way it is set up now, Utah does still have a chance to compete. Utah will never be the FA attraction that LA is, but that doesn't mean we have no chance at winning a championship. If you've been a Jazz fan for 25 years, then you obviously know how close Utah came to getting a ring. Just because everything isn't completely level across the board, doesn't mean we don't still have a chance.

Just because everything isn't completely level across the board, doesn't mean we don't still have a chance.

So you're saying we have a chance?

I agree. Even under the current system, Utah has had chances. How quickly some forget DWill, Boozer, Memo and AK took us to the conference finals. Even the best franchises undergo rebuilding periods (Chicago post Jordan, Celtics after Bird, the Lakers after Magic and then again after Shaq...and the list goes on). Some franchises remain down for years. Some organizations have a great FO, coaching staff, and are lucky (or a bit dishonest) and get a franchise player in the draft like San Antonio did. Others have the league's help in a trade (like a retired, assistant coach being part of the Pau Gasol deal).

Jazz could have kept Boozer. They could have remained in that 50-win range for 2-3 more years, but they chose to start rebuilding. Maybe I'm way too optimistic, but I think the Jazz COULD contend in 3-4 years. They're on the same path OKC took. Probably no Durant-caliber player on the team, but a Favors-Kanter combo could prove even more valuable if both develop into all-star type players. And Hayward and Burks may very well be solid wing players for years to come. But to keep those players, a more favorable CBA has to be reached. The Millers may be rich, but they don't have the funds nor the market to compete with the bigger guys. It would be pretty discouraging to see Utah develop all 4 players and then lose each one to NY, LA or Chicago. Kind of like losing Matthews to Portland. That was a huge loophole in the CBA, allowing a undrafted guy to make more in his 2nd year than the #1 draft pick in the league.

The NBA is 30 different corporations working together to set salary stuctures, only one of which pays player salary directly (the Hornets). Why should these 30 companies be allowed to get together and dictate market salary? It would be against the law, and anti-competitive, if the top 30 banks in the US got together to set wages for tellers and loan officers, yet 30 baskeball coporations get a free pass there.

The NBA is not the equivalent of the MARKET. They are the highest paying organization today, yes. If another group of potential owners banded together to form a new organization, say the "World Basketball Association", the NBA could not prevent that.

I'm as anxious for basketbal as anyone, but I'm not going to kid myself into believing that the players should be treated as if they are employees dealing with a free market, when the owners actually want nothing to do with a free market. The onwers want to act in trust, so they need to deal with the players as a union.

Most of the owners in the NBA want nothing to do with a free market WITHIN the NBA, I agree. Again, if owners outside the NBA wanted to operate as a free market, NBA owners couldn't stop them.

If Antitrust was really an issue in the sports world, the government would have blocked the NBA/ABA merger, as well as the NFL/AFL merger.

Now if the government were to legally block the formation of another basketball league, I would definitely have a problem with that.

The ratio in salary difference between the Nets and Turkish team, vs. the ratio in slaray difference between your job and minimum wage: which is larger?

I work two jobs. If you just look at my career job, the ratios are actually really close, which is why I work two jobs.

I can forgive the rank-and-file players for being out of touch, but the real crime here is the union leaders NOT allowing a vote. That, IMO, should be illegal. The agents, union leaders, hired lawyers and many big-money players are convinced they can squeeze blood out of a turnip.
Not sure what the NBA would look like if the players win this battle. It certainly would shrink in size, meaning a LOT of current players will be out of their old jobs... Sadly, they are cutting their own throats, and don't yet know it...

This problem would have been avoided if the league made the refs call the games fair, instead of making calls according to status. Now a small minority of stars have too much power and are running everything. The union is not representing the interests of the majority of its members, but serving only the elite players. All favoritism, all the time, on and off the court.

Not sure what the NBA would look like if the players win this battle. It certainly would shrink in size, meaning a LOT of current players will be out of their old jobs... Sadly, they are cutting their own throats, and don't yet know it...

I think contraction or shrinking the league has has been the goal of the super agents and star players all along. It means the TV and advertising revenue is split fewer ways. Lebron was talking contraction last season and when he was criticized many players ran to his defense. Derek Fisher, is from a big market and has made a life for himself by riding on the backs of superstars. When the players voted on the last proposal there was no Utah Jazz player rep, but Boozer, Bryant and Carmelo got a say in what happened.

The NBA is not the equivalent of the MARKET. They are the highest paying organization today, yes. If another group of potential owners banded together to form a new organization, say the "World Basketball Association", the NBA could not prevent that.

Until the rival league exists, the NBA is the market here in the USA.

If Antitrust was really an issue in the sports world, the government would have blocked the NBA/ABA merger, as well as the NFL/AFL merger.

Actually, the leagues rely to one degree or another on antitrust exemptions, part of which includes having a union to negotiate with.

I work two jobs. If you just look at my career job, the ratios are actually really close, which is why I work two jobs.

Hence my comparison. Working in Europe is the NBA player's equivalent of burger-flipping (China is migrant farm work).

I think contraction or shrinking the league has has been the goal of the super agents and star players all along. It means the TV and advertising revenue is split fewer ways. Lebron was talking contraction last season and when he was criticized many players ran to his defense. Derek Fisher, is from a big market and has made a life for himself by riding on the backs of superstars. When the players voted on the last proposal there was no Utah Jazz player rep, but Boozer, Bryant and Carmelo got a say in what happened.

Very interesting angle!

Good god I just read through all the legal crap. Fight over the venue (wasted time); Summary judgment (wasted time); an injunction decision (more wasted time.) Even a 4 year old knows the surest way to get nothing done is to hire a lawyer. Just the thought of reading about lawyers lawyering and law talking themselves in circles over the next couple of months makes me want to put a bullet in my head (but only after I kill all the lawyers.)

So who's going to Moses up in this situation and part the sea? Negotiation is still possible even it means the players actually understanding the lawyers filing lawsuits on their behalf actually work for them to serve their interest. They have the power, not the lawyers. A leader from their ranks of the rank and file needs to emerge just like an owner -- I pick Cuban -- needs to work behind the scenes to hammer out a revenue share so they can give the players a few shiny objects and end this.

This problem would have been avoided if the league made the refs call the games fair, instead of making calls according to status.

....the whole NBA would have been better off and prospered more....if the refs would have enforced palming and traveling....rather than turn the blasted thing into the AND1 "hopper" league!

carolinajazz - you are the darkness in men. you are the thing that lurks, always, in the shadows threatening to overrun the walls of civilization and bring again the dark ages.

your heart hungers for an age of wars fueled by race and creed.

Please DIE.

quickly.

I live on the other side of the world and I'm a little out of the loop. By the time I wake up, there's an entire day's worth of articles, tweets and posts to sift through, and of course I can't catch verbal comments on the radio or TV. So can someone else help me out with this?

I read that Raja Bell was NOT present at the discussion/vote Tuesday (perhaps Portland and Sacramento's reps as well). Has there been any radio chatter or articles/tweets that explained WHY? I'm not hating on Bell (although it seems like he had 5 days to arrange to be there or send an alternate), just curious. Was he in NY and became sick? Did he book the red-eye and it was cancelled? Were the attorneys scared he'd vote for the deal so they sent goons to lock him in his hotel room? Just curious if this has been discussed.

On a similar note, has anyone talked about the Chris Duhon story? He tweeted before the meeting that he (on behalf of the Magic) was going to vote FOR the proposal, then we hear that the voting was unanimous AGAINST the proposal. Did Duhon change his mind, or did the former union cover up his dissenting vote?

I live on the other side of the world and I'm a little out of the loop.

Trust me, you're better off. I've wasted countless hours, just to come to the conclusion that it's all just one big cluster ****. It seems to me that about half of the information out there is bull ****, and the other half is suspect at best. I know that's of absolutely no help at all, but it's the best I can do.