What's new

LOTR "The Rings of Power"

As a lover of LOTR, I'm just mixed. I know it's not going to live up to the originals, but I'm worried that it's going to be a bit too Game of Thrones and following around way too many characters.

Really hope they can center it around a few main ones and I'm going to watch it regardless, but it's a tough act to follow while also not getting too bogged down in Tolkien lore that can be pretty taxing.

What is this based on? I don’t recall any of his books titled “Rings of Power.” Is this a quick money grab?

It's too far away for my tiny brain to remember.. But I did squeal when the ad came on Sunday.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Apparently, they’ve already committed to four seasons I believe, but that could always change.

All the money is going to CGI instead of actors at least.

Apparently, they’ve already committed to four seasons I believe, but that could always change.

All the money is going to CGI instead of actors at least.
Based on what I have seen and heard the series gets cancelled within 2 seasons.

That's the biggest complaint so far. It is VERY loosely based on these works.
So it is basically expensive fan-fic? Yay....? Look how that kind of crap worked for the Gunslinger. Ugh.

Based on what I have seen and heard the series gets cancelled within 2 seasons.
The second season will begin filming before this one releases so we'll at least get two.

I'm afraid they're going to be over reliant on CGI which was a strong point for the Fellowship of the Rings (and less so for Two Towers/ROTK though I'd also argue those were superior movies). It left a bitter taste in my mouth that The Hobbit was too CGI'ish.

The second season will begin filming before this one releases so we'll at least get two.

I'm afraid they're going to be over reliant on CGI which was a strong point for the Fellowship of the Rings (and less so for Two Towers/ROTK though I'd also argue those were superior movies). It left a bitter taste in my mouth that The Hobbit was too CGI'ish.
The CGI was the least of the problems for the Hobbit. The over-bloated "story" to fill 8+ freaking hours of total run time with no substance and tons of useless and meaningless filler as a blatant cash grab was the problem with the Hobbit. It should have been 1 movie. Better still a 4 or 6-part (max and that is probably too much) mini-series would have been better to flesh it out a bit. But the movies were ridiculous in the extreme.

Can't expect too much from an adaptation. It's not like Jackson was fanatically devoted to the text.
Jackson did a pretty good job with LOTR. There were no made up characters. He did expand some character's roles but overall I feel like he did a good job of staying with the story.

Regarding the Hobbit, he did go off the rails. Made up characters, made up scenes, involving characters that were part of Tolkein lore but had nothing to do with The Hobbit. This was a money grab. It should have been one movie.

The Rings of Power appears to be worse than The Hobbit.

I don't really care for the title honestly - I think many of us have had our fill of 'rings are bad' and there's plenty of other directions they can take Middle Earth while keeping the rings low-key in the background while Sauron's rise is a bit more muted (at least initially). Broken alliances between elves and humans, the downfall of Numenor from The Silmarillion, etc.

At the very least, will be good to discuss on this forum.

I just saw this from a Vanity Fair article:

So what did Amazon buy? “We have the rights solely to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit,” Payne says. “And that is it. We do not have the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-earth, or any of those other books.” That takes a huge chunk of lore off the table and has left Tolkien fans wondering how this duo plans to tell a Second Age story without access to those materials. “There’s a version of everything we need for the Second Age in the books we have the rights to,” McKay says. “As long as we’re painting within those lines and not egregiously contradicting something we don’t have the rights to, there’s a lot of leeway and room to dramatize and tell some of the best stories that [Tolkien] ever came up with.”

This right here will be a huge blow to the series.

Last edited:
I’m excited to see how it compares to The Wheel of Time - not only from a storytelling perspective, but also from a production perspective.
LOTR had a bigger budget than WoT. Should be interesting.