What's new

Lowe’s 10 things has something about a “jazz dilemma”

NAOS

Can someone pls share?

Can I say again how much I hate that ESPN tucked him behind a paywall... and how I refuse to give subscription money to a platform that will cover something like a minor motorcycle accident by Anthony Davis’s head of security before it will say anything about the Jazz breaking its franchise record home winning streak?

Free Zach

Here is just the Utah jazz part I think that's okay to post from espn. "2. Utah's Bojan Bogdanovic dilemma
Bogdanovic is something of a barometer for the Jazz. He is the weakest defensive link in their starting five. Some postseason opponents are well-equipped to hunt him. Others offer safe havens.

Bogdanovic is also a deadly catch-and-shoot gunner who rounds out Utah's starters with size and craft -- plus an ability to exploit mismatches that will be critical when postseason defenses switch more to stall Utah's pick-and-roll blender.

A lot of opponents stash power forwards on Royce O'Neale, leaving wings to defend Bogdanovic. When the Jazz swing those matchups in their favor, they are really hard to beat.

Bogdanovic was the league's most efficient post-up threat last season, per Second Spectrum, and Utah has scored 1.1 points per possession this season when he shoots from the post or dishes to a teammate who fires -- 22nd among 106 players with at least 25 post touches.

He has proved a more willing inside-out distributor; Bogdanovic is passing and recording assists from the post at career-high rates, per Second Spectrum:

Utah sometimes has O'Neale and Bogdanovic screen for each other, pouncing when opponents switch slower bigs onto Bogdanovic:

Bogdanovic has played almost two-thirds of his minutes with Rudy Gobert, and the Jazz have allowed only 104.6 points per 100 possessions in those minutes -- below the Lakers' league-best mark, per NBA.com.

Against ultra-big teams -- i.e., the Lakers in some alignments -- the Jazz can pair Gobert and Derrick Favors for spot minutes. They are also sitting on one lineup -- Mike Conley, Donovan Mitchell, Joe Ingles, O'Neale, Gobert -- that may represent their best two-way balance."

Still has a pay wall with .au after it.

I'm worried about Bogey... he's been so rough on both sides of the court.

Size and athleticism is going to be the downfall of the Jazz if they lose in the playoffs again. When you play a 7 game series adjustments are made and matchups are exploited.

Someone posted something the other day on Twitter about a Lowe pod cast where they trotted out a stat indicating Rudy is the worst post-up player in the NBA. He's about .5 PPP on post ups - hard to argue with it.