What's new

Lowe on Royce O'Neale

latin jazz

Glad he is getting some love:

Amid the post-Gordon Hayward free-agency frenzy, Dennis Lindsey, Utah's GM, dispatched his coach, Quin Snyder, to watch a fringe NBA prospect play for the Pelicans' summer league team in Las Vegas. It was O'Neale, and he scored only four points. Jazz brass were dismayed: How could that possibly impress Snyder?

But Snyder already knew O'Neale, who played two seasons overseas, was tough. O'Neale had practiced as a unsigned guest with Utah's summer league team a week before, and in his first drill, a defender knocked out one of O'Neale's teeth. O'Neale kept going. He thought he might have a bruised lip. Alex Jensen, a Utah assistant, stopped play: "We have a tooth on the ground!"

Utah sent him to the hospital, and he was back that evening, ready to go.

Toughness alone doesn't earn an NBA roster spot. Snyder saw something more: an unselfish player who made instant decisions with the ball. Snyder covets decisiveness. Few things bother him more than aimless dribbling that allows a scrambled defense to reset itself.

When O'Neale sees a defender running at him, he doesn't waste time with a pump fake. He just goes. Once on the move, he has a knack for passing one step ahead of defenses. He's especially comfortable walking the baseline tightrope, and slinging kickout passes -- a piece of hoops art O'Neale says he learned from watching Ricky Rubio.

O'Neale is a fierce, switchable, in-your-jersey defender. The Jazz pride themselves on foul avoidance, but their perimeter defense last season softened into squishiness. That isn't a problem with O'Neale, Rubio, and Jae Crowder.

O'Neale is enjoying NBA life. He is a fixture in Uno games on the team plane, and teammates give him crap over the new obsession O'Neale and Donovan Mitchell share with high-end Supreme brand clothing.

Tougher tests await. O'Neale is shooting only 33.6 percent from deep; playoff defenses will give him more space. He's not quick enough to dust balanced defenders. He is a little turnover prone, and can go haywire finishing over bouncier athletes.

But he looks like a rotation NBA wing.​

Source: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23025857/zach-lowe-2018-luke-walton-all-stars-nba

O'Neale is a monster on D - he reminds me of the fast zombies from Dawn of the Dead.

He constantly loses confidence in his shot - he needs an off-season to work on it. I think he can become at least respectable.

His team option is a no-brainer to me.

He should save his money though.

He plays all-defensive team level defense. I do believe he’ll be a good shooter — he’s shown it this year and his college numbers and volume are good. The fact that he can handle and distribute the ball is gravy.

If he can hit open corner threes, and layups he'll be huge in the playoffs. The defense is a given.

I hope he pans out better than Elijah Millsap.
Aside from being totally different players, when was the last time Elijah played for a playoff team on a winning streak in crunch time, being assigned the toughest matchup?

I love that the team plays Uno on the plane. I want in!

I love that the team plays Uno on the plane. I want in!

Haha, me too. I play with my nephews and my GF's family all the time. I wish we could get more of those type of intimate details about the team. Makes it even easier to relate to the players.

I hope he pans out better than Elijah Millsap.

Mmm, Elijah couldn't make a layup to save his life lol. O'Neal has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor and make plays for others. Needs to improve his jumpshoot, including more arc on it. Hopefully with reps he could become at least a decent shooter

Mmm, Elijah couldn't make a layup to save his life lol. O'Neal has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor and make plays for others. Needs to improve his jumpshoot, including more arc on it. Hopefully with reps he could become at least a decent shooter

I would not really compare them on the same level. Royce is a better prospect than Elijah ever was.

He has already proven to be a much better player than Elijah. He has ball handling abilities, passing abilities and finishing abilities that Elijah never had. His shooting has been streaky but I think he can improve in that area and it already feels much better than Elijah. His 3 point percentages is better than any season of Millsap as is his overall FG%. Elijahs best year he put up a 89 offensive rating. Millsap always hurt the team on offense.

I'd love to eat crow on this, but he's basically the same player that Chris Johnson was in my eyes. Love his defense, but is going to need to hit more open shots in order to stick in the NBA.

I'd love to eat crow on this, but he's basically the same player that Chris Johnson was in my eyes. Love his defense, but is going to need to hit more open shots in order to stick in the NBA.
He will stick on the jazz cause quin doesn't care if he can shoot or not as long as he plays defense and is unselfish..... Plus he is the Spida's best friend.

He will stick on the jazz cause quin doesn't care if he can shoot or not as long as he plays defense and is unselfish..... Plus he is the Spida's best friend.

Not sure I agree with that... I think he's playing Thabo's minutes right now. Maybe he'll stick as an end of the bench guy, but barring injuries and development, I don't think he's going to get much of a chance.

Given that Quin is the God of Player Development (and Coke), I'm sure Royce will develop into a nice 3D wing. If Quin is on board, sign my *** up.