What's new

Luke Babbitt hype

Jazz4ever

Ok its probably time to stop dismissing this guy as a serious pick. He just leveled the field on shooting drills at the combine. Making 21 of 25 on college 3s and 19 of 25 on NBA threes! Given the fact he shot 42% on threes for the last two years at college we know its not a fluke.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-shooting-drill-results

His defense was weak at the college level but his freak athleticism indicates he can develop in that department. Given the red flags on just about all the big men this year, Babbitt seems like a good pick.
Resign Fesenko and hope he improves, maybe get another big through sign and trade with Boozer.

The guy is a hack. Despite him and Nevada's point guard who is projected to be a first round pick as well they didn't even win the weak Western Athletic Conference. And this translates into an NBA star? Uh uh.

The dude is all hype. Trust me. As a USU fan I've observed his game all year, and he's great against undersized players, but when he's matched up against someone similar or even physical, he backs down. He's not great at defense and has no killer instinct. Great shooter? Definitely. Will he be a threat outside in the NBA? Yeah. But he won't bring much else in a physical NBA game.

The guy is a hack. Despite him and Nevada's point guard who is projected to be a first round pick as well they didn't even win the weak Western Athletic Conference. And this translates into an NBA star? Uh uh.

Nevada has no big men whatsoever. Given that fact I think they did fairly well.

Weak WAC? This past year WAC basketball was ranked 10th in rpi out of the 32 conferences. Fact-check brah.

The dude is all hype. Trust me. As a USU fan I've observed his game all year, and he's great against undersized players, but when he's matched up against someone similar or even physical, he backs down. He's not great at defense and has no killer instinct. Great shooter? Definitely. Will he be a threat outside in the NBA? Yeah. But he won't bring much else in a physical NBA game.

Well shooting is a pretty valuable trait, you don't win without it. We know by looking at on/off stats the last three years that even a super one dimensional shooter like Korver is more valuable to a team than well rounded guys like Brewer, Miles, or Matthews. Its all about spacing in the NBA. Given his length and superb athleticism there is a decent chance Babbitt's game evolves into much more. If you want to assume he won't improve in defense or "killer instinct", then it's only fair to assume Monroe won't improve either. I do appreciate your opinion though having seem him play alot more than the rest of us.

This guy seems like the same type of player that Chase Budringer was last year. Both have high verticals and are good shooters, but both are weak defensively and not quick enough laterally. Id take him if we had a 14-20 pick, but we should go with a big man like Monroe or Udoh for sure.

Well shooting is a pretty valuable trait, you don't win without it. We know by looking at on/off stats the last three years that even a super one dimensional shooter like Korver is more valuable to a team than well rounded guys like Brewer, Miles, or Matthews. Its all about spacing in the NBA. Given his length and superb athleticism there is a decent chance Babbitt's game evolves into much more. If you want to assume he won't improve in defense or "killer instinct", then it's only fair to assume Monroe won't improve either. I do appreciate your opinion though having seem him play alot more than the rest of us.

He's a tweener. He's physically too weak to guard any power forward and he lacks the foot speed to guard a lot of the NBA shooting forwards. I would say that's fine as long he's a physical hard-nosed defender like Matt Harpring, but he's not. At all. And with that lack of foot speed, how do you expect him to get open while athletic SF's are guarding him? Dude's a tweener. I believe his career will go along the same lines as Adam Morrison.

Korver more valuable than Matthews??? Your joking right? Come on , you know wes was our starter, right? You do know he guarded Kobe and Melo a lot and is our best man to man defender, right? while he may not shoot like Korver he is pretty reliable and was great and slashing and finishing. He had the most heart on the team. I can't beleive you said Korver is more reliable. All he did was shoot and when he didn't make them, he was useless.

Korver more valuable than Matthews??? Your joking right? Come on , you know wes was our starter, right? You do know he guarded Kobe and Melo a lot and is our best man to man defender, right? while he may not shoot like Korver he is pretty reliable and was great and slashing and finishing. He had the most heart on the team. I can't beleive you said Korver is more reliable. All he did was shoot and when he didn't make them, he was useless.

I know he guarded them, he certainly didn't shut them down by any means though. Korver was a guaranteed 3 points when open this year though, and his curl could be counted upon for instant offense. Matthews was a decent 3 point shooter but terrible mid range shooter, that hurt us. He will probably improve a little, but is close to a finished product I think. Who do you think GMs across the league will give the bigger offer to: Korver or Wes? We are not smarter than them...shooting is a premium in this league.

Last edited:

I love how you said "we know" to imply general consensus on something that almost everyone will disagree with. You should be a politician.

Actually the WAC isn't that bad of a BBall conference despite the fact they can't win a game in the dance. Utah St, New Mexico St. and Fresno St. are both solid programs with solid players.

If he's mentally tough, fiery and competitive, he could be a top-4 option on a championship team. He's got good size, athleticism and shooting range. Question is how well he handles and passes. Also, what's his inside game like?

A mobile 4 with a good inside-outside game can be a huge factor in this league. Like Lamar Odom on a good day.

I'd love to get both him and Whiteside somehow in this draft.

This guy seems like the same type of player that Chase Budringer was last year. Both have high verticals and are good shooters, but both are weak defensively and not quick enough laterally. Id take him if we had a 14-20 pick, but we should go with a big man like Monroe or Udoh for sure.

Babbit is 2-3 inches taller than Budinger and is more of a combo forward.